Author Topic: Problem with RAYS Cabin  (Read 2459 times)

williamb

Problem with RAYS Cabin
« on: October 16, 2023, 10:04:29 PM »
Norm,

I completed Leg 5 of Tour MFC0051 on Sept. 7.  I landed on meadow near where Rays Cabin was supposed to be but never saw any type of strip or cabin.  I just returned from an RV trip and found my leg 5 flight was approved.  I am unable to fly Leg 6 because RAYS is not recognized in my FSX.  I looked at the 05- RTMM Addon Scenery file for FSX on my computer and the Pacific Northwest Scenery Collection (PNSC) is present.  Ray's Cabin (RAYS) as shown in the documentation for leg 5 is not present but Rays Cabin at Jervis inlet.bgl is present.   Thinking I may have an older version of the PNSC I downloaded the RTMM_Master file but found it contained the same version of the PNSC that is on my machine.  I am not sure where my thinking has gone wrong but I could use some help.

Thanks Bill

williamb

Re: Problem with RAYS Cabin
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 12:29:57 AM »
I meant to say I finished Leg 5 of Tour MFC0051 on Oct. 7.

Bill

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 06:22:33 AM »
Aye sir Bill. Well Ray's Cabin (FSX/P3D) is one that does not have a valid ICAO in the sim.

When you would have landed there on Leg 5, best to "Save SIM Position" so you can start at that location on Leg 6. 

This notation to "Save SIM Position" (or save flight at this location) shows in the tour documentation for three legs on this trip: 
Leg 5- Destination: Ray's Cabin:  "Save SIM Position"
(Leg 6 departure location is from Ray's Cabin),

Leg 7- Destination: Moh Creek:  "Save SIM Position"
(Leg 8 departure location is from Moh Creek) and

Leg 9- Destination: Westwood Inn:  "Save SIM Position"
(Leg 10 departure location is from Westwood Inn).

Either save flight or enter lat/long in GPS.*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, Doug make a convenient way-point location table for every RTMM location (FSX/P3D):
Page LINK: https://return.mistymoorings.com/n_navigation/#way

If you navigate to R - and see Ray's Cabin, it shows at
N50 12.5441, W123 59.2581 Mag-115, Type-W (Water)

Now Doug also created a help doc for using GPS to load Lat/Long in the GPS to get there.
Link: https://return.mistymoorings.com/n_navigation/#gps

Ok. so now you have to get back to Ray's Cabin. So you either can try to load up lat/long in the gps to appear there in the sim.. using Doug's GPS-Lat/Long or flying to that location from an airport that does exist in your sim.

Attached are a couple of maps.

"Ray's Cabin" is shown on the maps below as are the surrounding airport locations. This gives you some  visual of Ray's Cabin location. IE: You could spawn in at the closest airport, which appears to be Powell River (CYPW), and fly over to (or slew over to) Ray's cabin to start Leg 6. (Leg 6 is show on Pic2).

As far as the scenery is concerned, some cabins are difficult to find as they might be nestled in the edge of the forest. There has been no scenery changes for a long time (so you should have the latest).
(Pacific Northwest Scenery Collection-(version is 06.02.2019)

Being at or close to the lat/long of the start location at Ray's Cabin is the key here in case you can't find or see the cabin.

Note: In the remaining legs of this excursion, on leg 7 and leg 9, after landing, fuel up then save your flight.. which will make it much easier to start Legs 8 and 10.  (You can also refer to the waypoint table and enter those start locations Lat/Long into the gps to get to them.

IE:
Leg 8 departure location is from Moh Creek: (Lat N50 31.5927, Long W125 3.3274 (Mag 117, Land)
Leg 10 departure location is from Westwood Inn: (Lat N51 5.6833, Long W125 36.9901 (Mag 283, Land)

Hope this helps?
Norm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 06:58:25 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

williamb

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 11:24:02 AM »
Norm

Thank you for that very detailed reply.  I understand what the problem is now.  Since I did not "Save the Sim Position on landing there are multiple ways to get the location of Rays Cabin into my Sim.  I will look into the options you provided.  Even though I don't understand mechanics of each method, hopefully I will be able sort it out on my own. 

Thanks Again!

Bill