Author Topic: Scenery Config Editor  (Read 11478 times)

alpha117

Scenery Config Editor
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »
Found this nice little FREE program and it is very well supported by its author Andrew Thorton.

What does it do:
1. Allows you to repair errors in scenery.cfg
2. Allows grouping of scenery files (eg Europe, USA, RTMM etc)
3. Allows very easy to change scenery priorties either individualy or by group.
4. Allows you to active only the scenery that you want for you flight (ie just Europe)
5. reduces loading times

The link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/

I have found it very useful and I have only have 680 scenery enteries.

any questions let me know
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:02:32 PM by alpha117 »

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
Re: Scenery Config Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
Well!!  This would appear to be a very handy utility.  Downloaded and installing.  Letcha know.

-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

alpha117

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
Hi Jon

No problem, hope you find it useful; I certainly do

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
Yep, that's a Keeper!  I wish I had this about two months ago, when I got my dirty fingers into my scenery cfg file and messed things up royally.

But at least I have it now, huh?

Many thanks, Alph!

Edit:  Alph, would you email me at the following addy?  I've a Big Fat Question I need answered and I'll just bet you can provide.
Edit to the Edit:  Cancel the request, and stand-down Panic Stations.  All's well in the Fjords, and my BQ has been answered.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:53:43 PM by HighGround »
-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

alpha117

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
 ;D

Hekktor

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
*bump  ;)
Ok - I am very new to this forum - but fortunately I had the scenery config editor, before I found this extraordinary place for FSX.
This tool helped me alot to get into RTMM very quickly.
I just have had installed all the libraries, the legacy collection, begun to fly the Timuquan Missions. So nice!
On the 6th part - flying up the Nass river, I realized, I am missing Iggys Harbor.
Hit pause, alt tab to my browser where the RTMM scenery page is already open, download Iggys Harbor scenery - unzip it to my addon scenery folder, open scenery config editor, highlight my RTMM group, hit - ADD AREA, name it Iggys Harbor, select the Iggys Harbor folder in my addon scenery folder, click OK, SAVE the scenery.cfg within scenery config editor by hitting files and save.
Alt tab back to FSX - still running paused with my plane over the river where Iggys Harbor should be.
In FSX I hit the environment (?) and then scenery menu, just open I close it right again by hitting OK! That triggers FSX to reread the scenery.cfg, and reload the necessary scenery data. Takes a minute (of course way less then restarting FSX) and then - Iggys Harbor right in front of me!
No restart of FSX. I just finished the mission right away.

If I would recommend one tool to a newbie on RTMM like me - it would be the scenery config editor.

Sticky it maybe? (ok - might be a bit to much for a first posting  :D)

Greetings from Berlin,
Hek

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
Hi Hekktor,
Welcome to RTMM.   Thanks for sharing that.   ;)  8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
Yes,

A great step by step thread that needs to stay around.

Brad

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Hi Hekktor,
welcome here on RTMM and sharing this tool.
Have fun!! :)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »
Hi Hekktor and welcome to RTMM.  I'm sure you'll find lots to do and explore here and a great, friendly bunch of folks to help on the way.   Thanks for the link to the scenery cfg editor.  I had it once but didn't get it figured out enough to use it, then tossed it!   I'll give er another whirl.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

tomse

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Hello, being a new RTMM fan since a couple of months and getting familiar with this great site I stumbled over the posts concerning the SceneryConfigEditor (SCE). I use this tool since about a year I think, having no troubles with it. I grouped all my basics, libraries, sceneries with this tool and activate and deactivate all regions (groups) where I fly to or not with some clicks before starting FSX.

After discovering RTMM I installed the RTMM basics, ie. libraries, Legacy Collection and so on and put them in the right hierachies. Then I installed the ORBX scenery PFJ and ran FTX CENTRAL applying NA as suggested: all my groupings with the  SCE were gone! I thought I did something wrong, build up a new group view with SCE. After installing PNW and SAK and running FTX CENTRAL applying NA the same thing happend! FTX CENTRAL builds up a new scenery.cfg and backups the old one but without groups. See under "MENU-FILE- OPEN OTHER" all cfg files SCE has stored. The "scenery.cfg" is the actual file FSX uses. My advice is, whenever you change your Group view in SCE after installing or changing  something, save your file by "MENU-FILE-SAVE AS" (ie groupview.cfg) and save it again as scenery.cfg. SCE always presents the last saved file. By this you always can restore your last group view.
Perhaps some of you can use this advice,
happy landings and greetings from the Rhein Valley, foot of the Black Forest, Germany (misty today!)
tomse

I7-4790@3.6GHZ, WIN10/ 64bit, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 8GB VRAM,  P3Dv5.5, Active Sky P3D, FSUIPC 6, LittleNavMap

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
Maybe this is it Tomse. Check this forum thread out: Make sure you have the insertion point set up so the ORBX stuff stays below RTMM scenery.

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=1619.msg12587#msg12587

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
I've had the same problem with the groups disappearing. Going to the "Restore" option on the SCE menu and then "Restore Groups From Backup" and using option #1 on the next menu, puts the groups back the way I had them. At least it worked that way for me.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support