Author Topic: Bush Flying & Aircraft Developers - Soap Box  (Read 5011 times)

BeaverDriver

Bush Flying & Aircraft Developers - Soap Box
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
It seems to me, after having been in this FS "business" since the days of SubLOGIC (yeah, I know - shutup Dusty  >:( ) that even today, with FSX being the best ever for bush flying, and developers like Orbx and FSAddon's (Tongass) giving us some of the best bush flying areas ever, we bush pilots are still getting ignored by most of the aircraft developers. Yeah, we do have some good machine, but we still don't have an Otter, Turbine Otter, Aztec, Shrike Commander 500, or King Air (C90 or B200). I get the feeling that if we were to get on the forums and ask for a new Airbus 330, complete with FMS, we'd have one in 6 months. But for YEARS we've been begging for the above machines (and the 185, which we finally have now, along with the Beaver and Twin Otter), and nobody is willing to take it on, even though one would think that the developer (as long as it was a good developer) would end up raking in the cash. Either I'm dead wrong about that, or they haven't figured that out yet. People have even been on Carenado's forums requesting those airplanes, and in the end we got a Cessna 340. Not sure how the sales are going for that, but I don't think it's a huge hit. The Baron is nice, but there's a Baron in FSX (not great, but not that bad either). They did the 208, which isn't bad after they finally got most of the bugs worked out, but again, there's one in FSX. Last time I checked, there was no Aztec (nor ever has been), C90 (never has been), Shrike Commander (not sure, but there sure isn't one for FSX), etc. I wonder if it's time we started emailing developers (not going on the forums - they don't read those things) demanding equal time? I'll bet you if we demanded an A330 with full FMS, we'd have one in 6 months. We have enough of those. Thoughts?
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

George_F

Re: Bush Flying & Aircraft Developers - Soap Box
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
What don't you like about the Aerosoft Twin Otter?
George "Alky®" Fisher

Dusty_Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
Thoughts...Sublogic...thoughts

OK, OK..LOL

Good question. I believe said developers are making what they believe is gonna make them a profit.
As to sending them requests, I have observed in different forums that the suggestion(s) are either well received (put on a non-lit burner) or not. As you prolly seen too.

So, I say do like Ray Kroc did. Keep knockin till someone answers the dang door.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:09:48 AM by Dusty_Sourdough »
Dusty,

Yer cabin buzzin - skeeter swattin - moose chompin - wolverine wrastlin - airframe stressin - no fly fishin - tundra jumpin scoundrel of the Land O' the Midnite Sun

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:57:50 PM »
Any of you folks know how to take the ROL (wing leveler) function out of the Real Air Scout?  Looks like I might have to change out an autopilot?

Doug

BeaverDriver

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
What don't you like about the Aerosoft Twin Otter?

Not sure what you mean? I very much like the Twin Otter.

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:55:01 AM »
As a publisher (not a developer) I know there are three reasons why NOT to build any of those aircraft:

1) I have no qualified developers for it (those that are are doing 'their own thing' or already work for the competition)

2) The bush planes are not doing well in terms of sales. Unlike Airbuses and the umpteenth Boeing 767 or other 'tubes'.

3) Even if 1 or 2 don't apply, it often is difficult to get enough solid data on said planes.

I read, and I listen AND am a bush flying fan myself, but that still ain't enough  :(
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

BeaverDriver

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:04 AM »
Well, those are good points Francois, and hard to argue. I guess we'll have to plug along as is. Maybe it's a good thing there aren't as many bush jockeys. I know when I had to leave the business, it was getting kind of crowded and we were getting too many corporate-pilots-wanna-be-bush-pilots in the business.

Thanks for another take on this Francois. It helps to know this.

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
another piece I think is that the developers that used to make those kind of aircraft were mostly freeware developers, and IMO have been pushed out due to the extremely high demands on quality that many of the end users put out (and the atrocious behavior of said users).. there was a Piper Aztec out there (FS2000 or FS2002) done by Fred Choate IIRC, as for the Otter, Premier Aircraft has made a Turbine Otter, and with some enterprising modders, it can be further enhanced into a rather nice aircraft, I think, although one would have to see if they could bug the PAD guys into fixing the prop transparency..  There was somebody working at converting Milton Shupe's aircraft into FSX (of which there was a Shrike IIRC), but not sure how that has been coming along...

I have been using PAD's Turbine Beaver for some time now, and slowly have been evolving it into a rather nice aircraft with some enhancements I have downloaded, and some that I have made myself..
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho