Author Topic: Trying to get started  (Read 17830 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Trying to get started
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 12:21:08 PM »
The installation of the cabins was easy.  Just drag and drop the directories from the zip into your FSX main folder.  Then start FSX and activate the three areas in your scenery library.  Then go out and try to find 'em.  I haven't actually "seen" one yet.  I will fly out and check out the Wrangell area this morning.  Um, about the RTMM.dat file, I think it is for Plan-G.  Or FSDiscover.  I don't remember off the top of my head, and I haven't had my coffee yet.  The answer is in the forums somewhere.

Edit - I just found Berg Bay cabin, here's a pic.  Sorry if I was vague this morning.  Yes, the "Addon scenery" folder and "effects" folder should be copied to your fsx main folder.  The other folder has maps and KMZ files for use with "Google Earth".  Clicking on a KMZ file will open google earth and show you a map of the area in question.  The one I called up was for Petersberg/Wrangell, and showed the location of the cabins and an overlay of the area.

When you copy the "Addon scenery" folder to your fsx, it adds the three Tongass X cabins folders to your addon scenery folder.  Activate those in FSX.  I put the entries just above my "Tongass Fjords Higher priority" entry in my scenery library.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:57:58 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
When I open the addon scenery folder.There are five folders.Three of them are the cabin folders for the different areas.The other two folders are the scenery folder and the texture folder.
Dropping the three cabins folders into the main FSX(Where do they go in the main FSX)?.What do I do with the scenery and texture folder?.So out of the five folders.Which ones get activated in the FSX library?.

I was kind of thinking I could take all the cabins .bgls from the three cabins folders,and put them in the scenery folder.Than activate the addon scenery folder.I would have to rename the addon scenery folder?.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Hi GrayRider,

Maybe this will help explain what is supposed to happen........

I believe this package actually expects you to copy the entire Addon Scenery folder (provided in the scenery pack) to your main FSX Folder.  The computer system would then automatically (you could do it manually) copy the contents of the scenery folder into the FSX\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder, copy the contents of the texture folder into the FSX\AddonScenery\Texture folder and copy the three cabin folders into the FSX\Addon Scenery folder.  You would then need to go to your FSX Scenery Libary and activate the 3 cabin folder libraries making sure they are above the Holger's Tongass scenery entry. 

The way the scenery system works,  the 3 cabin folders, once in the library, will be able to find the special file items (from the cabin scenery pack) in the scenery and texture folders located inside the FSX\Addon Scenery folder since they are autoloaded as part of the standard FSX\Addon Scenery folder load up at run time..

Hope this helps.

Stiletto2

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
Hello GrayRider,
     Thanks Rod.
     The scenery and texture folders only contain some objects which were not included in Tongass Fjords X. When you copy and paste the contents of the zip file it copies into the Addon scenery folder three Tongass Fjords cabins folders, easily recognizable by their names.  There is also a folder containing GIF and KMZ map files.  These are for use with Google Earth.  You don't need to copy these, but check them out to see where the cabins are.  If you have Google Earth installed, then double click on one of the KMZ files.  Google Earth will start up and go to the location.  Getting back to installation, when you copy the files to fsx they are placed in the appropriate location if you just copy the contents of the root directory of the zip file and paste it into your FSX main directory.  Then start FSX and add the locations to your scenery library.  I moved the entries just above my tongass fjords entries.  Tongass Fjords is installed above FTX/Orbx. 

ps - I edited my earlier post and included a picture of the Berg Bay cabin, one from the package.  See above.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:42:21 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

GrayRider

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Stiletto2.

That info clears a lot of things up for me.I'll install it,the manual way.So I understand it now.My google earth for the kmz files is on my other machine.I won't have it back until Monday.My Team Speak 3 is on there as well.

In the meantime I did do two short flights from the thirty scenery's I installed.I went to Nina's landing and then did the flight to the quiet nights cabin flight.
I was very impressed that everything looked so good,even the sound effects with the scenery's.It blended in very well with the landscape etc.Congrats to whom ever put these RTMM scenery's together.The RTMM stuff further improves the region as well.

What is the region/product or the overall coverage area that most if not all RTMM stuff is in?.

I want to ask.As far as screenshots.What is the max size a screenshot can be?.I put all my shots in my PhotoBucket account.There are numerous sizes I can use,when I load my shots in Photobucket,before posting them on forums pages.What would be the recomened screenshot size I should use in PhotoBucket.Example 1024X768?.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
Hey GrayRider,
     Yeah, that one's good.  1024 x 768 is good for most screens.  I am a bit of a screen hog, and leave mine at 1920 x 1080p, and heard a complaint once, that my pics were too large to fit their screen.  I thought they automatically adjust to your monitor, or you could resize them on your end.  I guess not. 

RTMM is in the PFJ region.  FSX never looked so good.  Glad to hear you got out for a flight earlier.  Me too.  I went up to the Wrangell area to explore the cabins there.  I have icebergs floating in La Conte Bay.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

GrayRider

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
As far as screenshot size.I thought about 1280X960,which is the next size above 1024X768 in Photobucket.I guess either one would do here in the RTMM forums.

I did look at some of the screenshots here.Some of them.All I did was click on the shot and it opened up to a bigger size.Some of them didn't do that.

Do you know where I can get some good freeware float planes with wheels?.Also small motor boats and or watercraft ?.I don't have any payware floats.
I'm saving my money to buy more ORBX fields,for now.

GrayRider

archangel1

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »
The largest source for freeware boats is probably FS Shipyards.  You'll have to look carefully though since they're not all FSX compatible.

http://fs-shipyards.org/

There are a few links to some freeware boats listed in the Marina section of The Moorings here at RTMM.  Just look for it under Site Map.

I know of at least three freeware a/c that are available in multiple configs (wheels/skis/floats/tundra).  One is the Corben Baby Ace by Craig Richardson and there is the Stinson 108 by M. Allen Richards.  There's also a series of Early Fairchilds by James Hefner.  Check the usual sites (SimOuthouse, Simviation, AVSIM, FlightSim).  I often find it easier to search under the author's name, rather than the aircraft's, since some sites have weird parameters for their search engines.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!