Author Topic: Finally made it  (Read 3527 times)

Albereth

Finally made it
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
After a fairly hectic schedule using the international airlines I arrived in Ketchikan. After a few adjustments to get my bearings and acclimate (there is all this white stuff on the ground and for some reason the sun is in the South), I leased a C172 and a short flight later landed on the airstrip.

The skies were clear and I guess I owe a big thank you to whoever kept the landing strip open.

A few days rest lies ahead and I will carry out the rest of my tour to the ice fields.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:45:11 AM by Albereth »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Finally made it
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »
Excellent. Can we see some photos?

Brad

Albereth

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »
Sure thing - only have the arrival one so far.

I have been asked what the aircraft in front of my Cessna is?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:23:38 PM by Albereth »

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Welcome ... well, that was the hard part ... getting "here".  Now for the fun.  Don't forget to go to the Map Room to look at all the available places ... and of course CIRP if you like ice!  Enjoy ... glad you are here.

Doug

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
Welcome to RTMM!! To answer your "what is that aircraft" question, I believe that aircraft is called a Helio Stallion.

Brad

Albereth

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
Thanks!

Albereth

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »
Today I took a flight out to Aiken Creek Camp. This meant a short leg over to Ketchikan to see if the float plane was available. Unfortunately the bad weather has slowed delivery of the parts so I took the C172 just for a look.

The weather was pretty bad on departure. It seemed a little short of a blizzard. Even the luxury cruise ships had batterned down hatches. That had looked so pretty in the clear air last night when I made that short hop.

The weather definitely improved around Aiken Creek although I had flown in at around 500ft and the outside temperature was below freezing. Still, I managed to see a pod of orca (I think). Hopefully the pictures will come out - it is a little hairy taking pictures in that weather and at such low altitudes.

Well, a warm beverage awaits with perhaps a little fortification :)

Update: Blast - rather over-exposed on the photographs. With all that brightness I didn't adjust the F-stops. Only a few made it.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:29:22 PM by Albereth »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Hi Albereth,
also a big warm welcome on RTMM!
I hope you enjoy and have fun! Great pictures! :)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
Be sure you always check what type of aircraft you'll need in the map room at the top of the page. Look for this section: "Maps and Starting Points for all RTMM Locations" You can see if they are paved surfaces, dirt, gravel, water, etc.

For water ones, you can plot a course using either a float plane or a boat. I love doing this, select a destination that is water. Then, using a good flight planner tool like Plan G, you can see the land and water route to get there. Now map out a plan where you can fly it. Take off and experience that aspect of RTMM in flight. Land at the destination. Now, switch to a watercraft you can get to in your FSX aircraft library and return to "Misty's Place" in a boat!!

It's so cool to experience that side as well. It looks completely different and is a new perspective  you'll appreciate.

Have fun,
Brad