Author Topic: Scenery not loading fast enough  (Read 5623 times)

Sebastiaan10

Scenery not loading fast enough
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
Hey Guys,

So I have this little problem with FSX where when I fly in the PFJ area the ground textures and autogen do not lad fast enough for my plane when I fly at, lets say 150 kts. My settings are not extremely high, please see below my current settings:

Filter: Billinear
Anti-aliasing on
detail radius: medium
mesh complexity: 49
Mesh resolution: 19 m
Texture resolution: 60 cm
Water effect: low X2
Scenery complexity: very dense
Autogen density: normal
cloud draw distance: 60 mi
Cloud coverage density: maximum
Airline traffic: 20 %
GA traffic: 16 %
Road vehicles: 18 %
Ships and ferries and leisure boats: both 33 %

Some additional info about my PC:

2.66 GHz
RAM: 2.00 GB
NVIDIA GTX 560

Hope you guys could help because it is really bothering me  >:(

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
Re: Scenery not loading fast enough
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
I'm not the best person to answer this, but check out the recommended settings here:  http://return.mistymoorings.com/cirp/index.php#g

I noticed you had a few different selections from the recommended, which can cause some mesh issues.

However, it sounds like a performance issue.    FSX is terribly optimized, unfortunately, and not really supported officially by MS any more.   :-\    I've got a hex-core processor @3.33ghz, 6gb RAM, with an ATI Radeon 5800 for gfx, and I still get bad framerate hits quite often, and "popping" textures.  I can run every other modern release (BF3, MW3, Skyrim, etc.) all on ultra detail with no problems.  :o

How many cores is your processor running?  Your RAM is a little low as well, if you've got anything else running while FSX is going, you're going to take a hit on performance most likely.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
Definitely need to read the documentation that the various scenery packages from Orbx include with their products and follow the recommended settings or your just doing a crap shoot on what performance you will get.  The parameters Dan's post links too are copied directly from the ORBX manual for PJF scenery.  These are the settings for all ORBX scenery except for one small add on airport which is in Oregon and no where near RTMM scenery so does not apply except when you actually fly to that add on airport.
I would also change the filter to trilinear as well.

8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:21:11 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Change cloud coverage density to minimum.  Also special effects to medium.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Sebastiaan10

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »
Thanks a lot guys I will try it out and give back the results to you!

Sebastiaan10

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 06:20:46 AM »
Alright so using the recommended settings did work better, but now after about 15 minutes of flying my fsx just crashes  :( Any ideas of what that might be? I thought it might be an OOM problem but it just says it is a 'fatal error'

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
Alright so using the recommended settings did work better, but now after about 15 minutes of flying my fsx just crashes  :( Any ideas of what that might be? I thought it might be an OOM problem but it just says it is a 'fatal error'
It's hard to say.  There's not alot of info to go on.  Try lowering all setting to minimum, then see if it runs stable, and gradually increase settings from there. 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Lazyeight

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »
I am having this problem too and I notice that I have 73 processes running while I am flying in FSX. Is there a good program recommended to shut down those processes that are not needed when flying in FSX?  I used to have one for FS9 but nothing for FSX. 

Lazyeight
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:27:13 AM by Lazyeight »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
Just browsed this thread again tonight and noticed I had mentioned in a post to try trilinear filtering but I now rescind that recommendation and say it should be bilinear filter.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
I'm using Game Booster v3.1 to stop background processes.  Works very well.   Just a hint, don't opt for any of the "FREE" stuff they might want you to download and install, just the Game Booster.   You can return to all the background processes with just one click too.   It gives me anywhere from 5-10 extra FPS on my setup.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Lazyeight

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
Thanks Dragnhorn. Just the information I needed. Now I need to work on which processes to shut down. I flew with the Sunday Com-Central Multiflyer Bush Flight and really had my TeamSpeak 2 messed up. Will need to give it some work. But thanks for suggesting Game Booster. I think it will help a lot.

Lazyeight

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:48:48 AM »
On Game Booster I just click on Boost and it shuts things down.  To be honest, I'm not sure of the EXACT files or processes it stops, but it doesn't interfere with TS, MultiPlayer, or FltSim in any way.  At least for me.   :-)
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Fireball

• Chris Losh
    • Northern Air Charters
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
There is also a program called "End It All". I use this before I start FSX. It will go out and look at what all is running in the background and shut it down or kill the Process.