Author Topic: DHC-2 Repaint  (Read 8673 times)

Kilstorm_McBride

DHC-2 Repaint
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
I saw this repaint package a few days ago bu can not find it on the site now.  Anyone know where to download it?

i7-950 OC 3.7 | X58A MoBo | 6GB DDR3/1600MHz Corsair Dominator | Superclock EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB | 240GB Corsair SSD HD | 800 watt PSU | Window7 64 |

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: DHC-2 Repaint
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
I posted that one prematurely and did not have full permission of the author so I had to take it down. It was a great repaint, I wish we could have used it.  We may have a repaint of the Misty DC-3 coming and hopefully some of the "artists" out there will do up some of the FREEware planes for us in the green and white livery. (The one you saw was red and white).  When we get a Misty repaint, we will put it on the Enhancements page and will make a note of its posting on the NOTAMs page.

If anyone is interested in doing a plane for us, let us know. The colors and patterns can be seen at the old Misty Moorings, Inc "hangar" site and the font for Misty Moorings is YIKES!.  http://www.mistymoorings.com/hanger/index.php  We'll only be posting repaints in the Misty Moorings green/white colors this time.

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
I guess I'd better get the brushes out again. Only trouble is that the Aerosoft Beaver is really buggy if you look too close at the model...

The right hand wing strut is hanging in space and not attached to the plane; the varous blisters on the fuselage arealso "free hanging" - you can see humungous gaps; bits of the engine cowling are so mapped to different scales, that keeping track is annoying...

On the other hand, it's still a fun plane and I have been badgering the author team all the time in the hope that they'll re-model it one day. Maybe as a "luxury" version. In the meantime, why not try the Aerosoft Bushhawk XP. It's really fun flying low in the valleys.

PS why not visit my repaints site? I did a (useful?) livery of a Beaver as may have been used by the USCG at Annette Island:

On this page - scroll down quite a bit...
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »
Put your url up there so we can "find" you.  Great looking repaint!   Just ordered the Bushhawk .. downloading now.

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
A very sneaky trick of mine was to make the "Eagleskinner" banner in my signature clickable. Click it and you'll be taken to my site... ;)

Another subtle hint is the fact that the words "on this page" in my post above are also clickable - click and you go right to the military downloads page of my repaints. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:56:43 AM by One-Eye »
All the best,

Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
Well, darn that is sneaky!! And I like it!  Hey, that's a great site ... you've really done some great work.  On a scale of 1-10, if a guy was going to try this ... how difficult is it?  I've been tempted but when I look at the layouts, it's a little intimidating.  That site is a bookmark! (keeper!)

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
What? Painting or making a web site? ;)

Both are easy if you have the calling, because then it's something you want to do. I build my web pages with Macromedia Dreamweaver, some Flash and Fireworks too.But I don't do much these days. In the latter half of the 90's I did it commercially for fun. (I got paid for doing what I enjoyed).

You do have to learn new ways of thinking, but as I say, if the urge takes you, you can set up your first basic web pages in a day.

As with painting though, once you're hooked, you'll never stop learning - and that's what the joy of our hobby is all about.

On the painting side, all I'll say is: know how to use whatever paint package you decide on. I use Corel, others use Photoshop and others have discovered GIMP. Whichever pack, learn how to use it first. After that, painting aircraft skins is just a matter of looking at real life, deciding how you want the model to look and then using the painter tool.

Above all: Enjoy
All the best,

Doug

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »
Yeah, well, I "understand" the web page part!  Dan makes it, I fill it in. I also use DreamWeaver, but if I use the WYSIWYG, I get into lots of trouble ... thank heavens Dan bails me out ... I'm learning to go straight at the code. He is PAINFULLY dragging me along each step of the way.

No, it was the painting I was talking about.  I've got PhotoShop Elements ... sounds like that might work.  Is there a "starting" place ... you know like ... "well, this here is the plug that goes in the wall..."??  If you were going to try a "starter" package of something ... what would you use?  How about that FSPaint thing, does that work?

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
Hey Doug,

If you are thinking about the Abacus FSRepaint software, then take heed. It is a fine tool for seeing your work "in-sim" without all that reloading effort. I really do recommend it for beginners. BUT you need a paint program for the nut's and bolts.

I've been using the Corel Draw suite since the very early 90's, so I am biased. I bought an "old" version and through that I got the upgrade to the latest at a price I couldn't refuse. PS elements and various others are indeed up to the job of repainting. You can even achieve good results with windows paint ('scuse if I chunder :D ) you really can - if you don't mind pixel for pixel painting.

Phot-retouching paint programs are the commonest in use these days. Photoshop Elements is very commonplace. Paintshop pro  (that's the Corel equivalent) is also useful.

What you will need most is a painter program that allows layers and/or layerable objects. Most modern free-with-a-camera-or-printer painter and editors do the job in a simple, but effective way. If you don't want to spend thousands on full commercial packs (Photoshop CS5 or Corel Draw suite X5[mine by the way]) then I would recommend GIMP - it's basically a free Photoshop clone. Does everything Photoshop does. But as with all open source progs, you have to rely on the community for help. There's a pretty good pdf manual though.

What's missing in Photoshop, GIMP and other similart photo editing programs is a Vector Graphics drawing tool - in the Corel Suite it is actually called Draw (the photo tool is really Corel Photopaint). Adobe produce "Illustrator" for the photoshop painter, but you pay extra.

For first timers, I'd say GIMP. Google it, you will not miss. Steep learning curve if you are starting from scratch with no art knowledge - but not impossible. Fun? Yes! Even with 15 years playing around with computer graphics, my first FS repaint was a disaster. Kitch all the way.

The main things which make painting planes (and other game objects) so challenging is the need to know how the graphics engine interprets your work. Specular, bumpmap, UVs and diffuse maps each have their own secrets you need to be aware of. FSX allows us one helluva lot of possibilities, but there are just so may ways to recreate what you can see in your mind's eye.

Much also depends upon how the model maker has created his model. If the maker has decreed all his surfaces to be polished metal in the export phase of his creation, then there is no way you, the painter, will get a matt finish. And that's just the start.

If a model maker insists on putting as few sheets as possible into the texture file, then you are going to hit "scale problems". The default and the Arosoft Beaver both suffer for instance. I won't even go into detail of how position on the texture sheet affects bumpmap lighting...

Oh shoot! I wrote too much and put you off. Believe me, I don't want to. This whole painting lark is a barrel  load of f with a capital FUN

short answer:

GIMP. Read the manual and go to www.simmerspaintshop.com for the best teachers and help. So what if they paint mostly military. There's tons of tutorials and guides.

All the best,

Doug

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
Downloading GIMP ... guess if you're going to start, ... the "first step" is a good idea.  If I crash and burn trying to do this, then I know I should stick to maintaining web sites and sipping coffee with Misty.  Much appreciated ... sounds complicated (but so is living!) :-)

Wildbird

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
What's missing in Photoshop, GIMP and other similart photo editing programs is a Vector Graphics drawing tool - in the Corel Suite it is actually called Draw (the photo tool is really Corel Photopaint). Adobe produce "Illustrator" for the photoshop painter, but you pay extra.
Ohno you didn't...  ;) Photoshop has a perfectly good vector tool, once you get around the headache of learning all the keys needed to use it effectively.

It's been a while since I last looked at freeware programs, but Paint.NET really stood out to me when it came to user interface and such. And I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a pen tool/vectoring tool.