Author Topic: Heli question for Klaus  (Read 30848 times)

archangel1

Heli question for Klaus
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
Guten Tag, Klaus!

Since you seem to be our resident Hubschrauber expert, I figured you might be able to point me in the right direction.  (By the way, just noticed Flysimware has released their Bell 47H/Sioux H-13.  Looks good plus FlightSim Pilot Shop has it on sale for 50% off this weekend!)

I know FSX has cut a few corners in regards to realism in helicopter flying and Hovercontrol has taken great steps in trying to overcome any limitations.  What 'aftermarket' whirlybird would you recommend to 'get one's feet wet'? You know my favourite is the Bo-105 but, judging by its over-achieving performance in real life (Red Bull, anybody?), I don't think it'd be a good trainer.  Freeware or pay doesn't particularly matter and cost really isn't a factor.  No Robinson, though.  I don't find it particularly aesthetically pleasing and if I'm going to eventually learn to fly one, it could at least look good!

Prost!

Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: Heli question for Klaus
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
Hi Mike!
Great news you like starting with the whirlybirds!
As you already mentioned, the big problem in FSX is some strange limitations on helicopter flight characteristics. So most payware and freeware helicopters for FSX don`t offer any of these heli-FD`s like Torque Induced Yaw. Their Flight behaviour isn`t correct at all and are all easier to fly than most helicopters in FS9 were.

I recommend using HTR Helicpter total realsim - This tool adds heli-FD`s to some payware and freeware helis. It really adds more challenging and fun. Check Hovercontrol.com for informations on it.
You can change control response for your own needs with it. If you think the heli is acting too hard on your control inputs, just lower the settings in HTR and the Heli is easier to fly.Though only 100% responsivness is the real challenge!!!  ;D You can get very good results even on the FS default Bell206 JetRanger with HTR!!!

Good news, there are some heli`s avaible which offer Helicopter Flightdynamics`s.

Payware (I personally fly payware helis more often than freeware one`s.):

Most realistic and authentic FSX chopper is for sure
The Dodosim FSX Bell206.
It offers lot`s of heli-FlightDynamics which makes it flying a real challenge. Starting the systems can be some tricky.
But it also offers different difficult levels, so can start on low level and when getting used to it you can try flying it on higher level (max. level is 5).
IT´s not cheap but full worth the money. This is the king of FSX choppers!!!!!

Other payware I know (and  have purchased) with Torque Induced Yaw :
SA315 Lama from fsheli.ch - It´s really nice flying with it.
The real world Lama was loved by pilots for many,many years for their high mountain cababilities.

Cerasim Bell222 - it also offers a nice Flightmodel.

Other Payware Heli`s I have (All these one`s are best flown with HTR):

Cerasim 212 and Cerasim 412
Generally I like the Cerasim Heli`s 212, 412 very much, because they also offer a great system depth and smooth flightmodels. Even without HTR they are really nice to fly and earned lots of reputation in the heli-simmers hearts. You can add HTR Helicopter Realism MOd to them - ans so they offer a great Flightmodel.

Nemeth Designs BO105 - easy to fly
Nemeth Designs MD500 - no realistic startup procedures, so very easy to start and flying.
Both helis are really nice and challenging flying only with HTR active. Especially the original Nemeth MD500`s Flight Model is no good.
Since a few weeks there are new aircraft.cfg and airfiles for the MD500 adding some better Flight Behaviour. Download from hovercontrol.com.
The BO105 and the MD500D are my favourite heli`s in the real world. The BO105 for it`s flight capabilities, thought it isn`t really a nice helicopter! I´ve hard some people saying it looks like a brick! ;D
But the most I love is the MD500D. I love Design of this flying egg!  8)

Nemeth Designs EC120
Nemeth Designs EC135 - all Nemeths in general offer very good 3D-Models. Flight Models are less complex.
Justflight schweizer CB300i
Justflight Robinson R44 - And yes, I also don`t like the Robinsons Design! :D
The Schweizer and R44 are included in HTR. Their 3D-models look very good and they got quite good votings from he community.
BTW: I purchased the R44 just today on simmarket.com. You can get it there till 28.11.2011 on 50% sale (for me in Germany 6,63 Euros). So haven`t flown it so far.

Freeware:
Default Bell206 - with HTR a very cheap, good and challenging flying!
This is the moment I have to say that I have with the Jetranger and same problems as with the Robinsons.
I never didn`t really like it`s design.

Hovercontrol Bell412 by Jordan Moore. The FREEWARE HELI ITSELF I`d like to say. Great model and smooth Flightmodel.
Itis also included in HTR and Jordan Moore released recently a new patch adding Torque Induced Yaw to the Flight Modell.

Nemeth Aerospatiale AS350 - Conversion from FS9 to FSX avaible on hovercontrol.com
fspainter AS350 - also a conversion from fs9 tp FSX of the A-Star, new on simviation.com
Both are included in HTR!

Dirk Stuck`s BO105 - Easy to fly. The 3D-Model is very hungry on FPS. Also the Cockpit layout is based
on the german military BO105`s and converted in some different civil versions by him. Avaible on hovercontrol.com

Summit:
If you don`t like to spend much money. first try out the default 206 Jetranger and the Hovercontrol Bell412.Especially  the 412 is easier flying. after some Time try adding HTR and learn some new challenges.

If you like spending money, buy:
1. the Dodosim206 - and gett a full package with the offer of different difficulty levels on flying and systems
2. the Cerasim 212, 412 and/or 222 - great ones with even better quality by adding HTR.
3. the Lama from fsheli.ch - old but good lady
4. one of the other one`s I mentioned

Oops!! lots of words!  :D I hope it helps!

BTW: Yes, i noticed release of the Bell47. But didn`t buy it so far. The 47 is a classic and oldtimer, so I think it`s very interesting getting it into my virtual hangar.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

archangel1

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
Vielen Dank, Klaus!

Looks like plenty of choice!

The Dodosim 206 was already on my wishlist as was the Lama from FS Heli.ch (which I hadn't heard about until recently).

I've already downloaded and stored most of the Hovercontrol stuff, plus several repaints, in anticipation of future use.  Does your current Bo-105 profile work okay with HTR 1.5?

I was going to say it'd be difficult to play with the Cerasim birds since they closed down but I see SimMarket is still selling them.  Guess I should grab one while they're still available.  Any preferences between the 212 or 412?

I like the MD500 as a helicopter but it's the one case where I don't think Chris' RTMM colour scheme repaint works well.  Obviously I don't have to use it but I just don't like the stripes.  I think it would have been better with solid blocks of green and white which, by the way, is one of my favourite colour combos, especially with a deep green like Hunter or British Racing.  (Looks amazing painted on a big Mack conventional truck cab!) Doesn't seem to bother you, though.  ;)

Not big on the Squirrel or most of the larger jobs.  I do find the Skycrane kinda neat as well as the Sea King.  I really like the Chinook and the Seasprite.  The Apache? Well, that's just horny!

Something to think about, now.  Thanks again, Klaus.

Prost!

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
Klaus or anybody else into whirlybirds,

What is the "Take On" helicopter game that Aerosoft promotes all about? I know it's a separate game platform and isn't for FSX, but it looks pretty good? I noticed this awhile back but haven't really heard much about since then.

Brad

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Mike!

The BO105 profile should work with HTR 1.5. The actual profile is new in some important things! The handling of the Heli should be some more sensitive when HTR responsive settings are at 100%. So don`t pull to hard on the sticks! ;) Also the BO does loops and rolls !

BTW: I read an intersting article in a german helicopter magazine interviewing one of the two european Redbull BO105 Aerobatics Pilots. Very Cool! The Redbull BO`s are in general normal serialtype machines. Only difference is limited takeoff-weight for aerobatics and critical parts of the AC have to be changed much earlier. For example the Main Rotor Blades after 60 flighthours.

Regarding the bigger helis!
Yes, I also have the Nemeth Designs S64 Skycrane. The real one is an incredible piece of machine!!

An other bigger freeware heli is the Superpuma from Dirk Fassbinder. you did alread find it on hovercontrol.com, I`m sure. This is a very nice one. Dirk Fassbender did also create a very good heli autopilot. I think, it`s the only  one working for FSX.

Also the freeware Enstrom 280 by eaglerotorcraftsimulations is a nice one. They also recently relased a new frewware fsx Bell206 with nice rotor-animation.

A payware heli I completly forgot mentioning is the Aerosoft Huey! I should offer also some better Flightdynamics. What I herad of it so far it is, ranking is something behind the DoDo206 but a very good heli. I didn`t buy it so far, because I didn`t give up all hopes getting a Huey from Dodosim someday! I announced it years ago but didn`t release ! :'(

The Cerasim are really worth every Cent. I love them both. Some say the 212 is a bit better than the 412. But I`d recommend them both. These are Hueys. These are Workhorses. A MUST HAVE!

I do not own the Virtavia or former Alphasim Apache. I heard not really good things about this company so didn`t buy any product from them so far. 3D-Models are looking good but system depth is limited.

If you are interested in Military helis you could have look on area51sim.com. They released a OH58D, AH1Z, UH1Y already and a AH64D is in development. Same here as Virtavia 3-D Models are O.K. but system depth is limited.

The only military machine I have is the Aerosoft Seahawk. 3D-Model looks very good. has a modern glass-cockpit. It´s easy to fly.

The longer I`sitting here in front my computer....I realize that I forgot a lot in my first answer?! ;D

No worries with the MD500 RTMM paintscheme!! I personally like it very much and think the stripes fit very good on the 500.  ;) You have an other opinion, and thats absolutly O.K! :)

i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
Klaus or anybody else into whirlybirds,

What is the "Take On" helicopter game that Aerosoft promotes all about? I know it's a separate game platform and isn't for FSX, but it looks pretty good? I noticed this awhile back but haven't really heard much about since then.

Brad

Hi Brad!
Take on helicopters is some kind of "simulation". It´s a standalone game developed by the team Bohemia Interactive which programmed the military simulations ARMA and ARMAII. TOH is a new game wehre you start a virtual career as a helicopterpilot. The developers promised a simulation than a computergame. After release it became evident that the helicopters flightdynamics in the game are not good. system depth is very low.

But the developers said they will work on it and some guys form hovercontrol.com are helping to improve the Flightdynamics now. So hopefully after this rework it will be more challenging nd worth called simulation not only a action game. Guys from hoverontrol invlved in this process makes me optimistic that this could be achieved.

arodsat

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »
I just got Take On. I've only flown about an hour in it, mostly just messing around with the controls assignments and sensitivities. So far it is more game than simulation. It's not a replacement to FSX. So far I like it. It took a while to get the "feel" of it. It has some interesting missions and the graphics of the Seattle area look fantastic. However the navigation and GPS screens are a little lacking. I'll report more when I can play it enough to give it a fair review.

aeugli

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
Hallo Klaus,

thanks for your really informative review of the helicopter scene as far as you know it.
Very much appreciated it and put me in a direction so far not noticed: to the SA315 Lama from fsheli.ch!
Very nice heli and enthusiastic reviews- perhaps (for shure - I mean ;)) I will buy it.
At the moment I fly the Dodosim (really the king!!!) and the Aerosoft Bell Huey (aka "Teppichklopfer" - nice sound BTW) I think really worth the money! And I believe, we will wait until the "St. Nimmerleinstag" for the Dodosim Huey :'(
I too have the Cerasim 212 - but I´m a bit dissapointed cause of the flight-behavior- although I´m not a RW pilot at all - but in comparison with the both others, especially the Dodo....!
Would be nice if the The Alouette III project for FSX and FS2004 by fsheli.ch will be finished soon! Fantastic heli too!
Thanks again  - an further infos and experiences would be much appreciated :)
Best wishes from Bavaria to Bavaria
Rainer
Rainer

i7-3770K@4.5G|Intel DZ77GA-70K PCIe 3.0|Noctua NH-D14|Mushkin Redline 8GB@2133 PC3-17000 CL9 |Gigabyte GTX 680 OC|301.42 WHQL|4xSamsung SSD 830 256GB|1x VelociRaptor 1TB|Asus Xonar 2DX|Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem|Seasonic Platinum 1000W|Lian Li PC-V212 | HP ZR2440|3xFujitsu P-23T 3D

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
Hi Rainer,
I fly the Cerasim 212 and 412 with HTR and like it very much. You get the system depth from Cera and the Flight Dynamics from HTR like Torque induced Yaw, Retreating Blade Stall, Vibration effects, Transverse Flow effect, Ground effect, VNE`s acording to the helicopter`s vne-tables and some other. Even Vortex Ring State, but not as good as in the Dodo.
The only helis I fly without HTR is the Dodo206  and the Lama.
The Aerosoft Huey represents mainly the german military cockpit layout. So I don`t know if our US and Canadian friends do really like that. On HOvercontrol some were disappointed about that.

Servus ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:29:37 PM by corbu1 »

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »
There Klaus goes again, gettin' me all wanting to spend cash on more heli stuff...   :o

.. must.. resist...

Fireball

• Chris Losh
    • Northern Air Charters
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
Great Info Klaus.
I have most of the helos on the list. I did not know about the HTR. I downloaded it and will have to start some testing. "Crashing" :o

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Hi All,
Christmas time is near.... so it`s time for presents and special offers!

I just noticed that Nemeth offers now a 50% sale for their products.
Every day there will be another product offered . So it could be worth having a looking on their website daily discovering some nice products.

Today they started with the SA-2 Samson -paahh some toystuff from the Avatar movie >:( :'(   

But maybe when there will be some helis like the AW109, MD902 or AS332 avaible, it`s time to make a deal!
So if anybody`s here intersting in buying some Nemeth Heli look at:
http://www.nemethdesigns.com/

archangel1

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
Danke, Klaus.  Maybe I'll get lucky with the Bo105!

Cheers,

Mike

(Oh, and I grabbed the Cerasim 412 before it disappears.  It's parked in the hangar with all the other FSX stuff I've been collecting for my eventual new system.  It's tucked in somewhere behind the DC-2, the Connie, the Cub, the Bush Hawk, the Harrier or the X-15, amongst others!)

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
Danke, Klaus.  Maybe I'll get lucky with the Bo105!

Cheers,

Mike

O.K., Mike.....Today`s your Day!!!
Today`s (17.12.) Nemeth sale 50% is the BO105!!!!!!!!

archangel1

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
Got it!

Any thoughts on Nemeth's Huey, Klaus, as compared to, say, Aerosoft's, or should I wait for DodoSim's?

Mike