Author Topic: Mesh/Flatten Problem?  (Read 16750 times)

AaronMyers

Mesh/Flatten Problem?
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »
Landing at Lavender Lake Lodge tonight I noticed this apparent elevation issue. Admittedly this was not the only place I noticed mesh oddities, but this is a pretty good example of it. I am using FS Genesis mesh, could that be causing conflicts? Any thoughts as to what else could be the culprit? I have mesh resolution set at 5m.

Later I'll be posting a video of how NOT to land here.   ;D

Dieter

Re: Mesh/Flatten Problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:54:03 AM »
This really looks strange!
I have FSGenesis mesh installed, too, but I don't have this problem.
PF04 ist part of PFJ, which comes with an own mesh. So (normally) this shouldn't be the culprit.
Did you try to deactivate FSGenesis mesh to see, if it's ok then?

(Btw, I did not use the FSGenesis auto installer. I created folders like \FSG Canada and \FSG USA and put the corresponding files in there. So it's easier to deactivate the whole region)

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:15:21 AM »
Make sure your scenery library order is correct, FTX stuff just under the RTMM stuff, everything else underneath.

If that doesn't work re run FTX central, change to FSX and Apply, change back to North America and apply, restart FSX and check the library positions again, rewstart and have another look.

I see also you are up at PF04 in winter, no problem of course, but it was designed to be a summer retreat, it looks amazing in summer.

AaronMyers

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
Ok, so there's improvement. I redid the insertion point through FTX Central and the mesh and scenery now look correct with the exception of the runway. I now have a floating runway. I did apply FSX default and then back to North America, but the floating runway persists.

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
by floating runway do you mean the runway is showing above the ground (i.e. you can see underneath it) or do you mean your plane is apparently on a hard standing but is above the terrain?

It's not entirely clear from your images.

There is no ALT file associated with PF04 the only file is a flatten which is at the airports altitude, it looks to me like something else is also trying to but in, do you have any other mesh installed? Could it be that there is some conflict?

BeaverDriver

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
This is probably a dumb question, but just in case - you do have PFJ installed and active, right?
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

AaronMyers

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
Yes, installed and active. And floating as in the runway is showing above the ground level. I can park the plane on the runway floating above the scenery and drive right off the cliff and fall down to the rest of the scenery. It was hard to get a shot that illustrated it.

I do have FSGenesis installed into the default location, and also have Tongass Fjords layered above all the ORBX entries, with RTMM scenery above that. Guess I'll have to try disabling a few other things and see if it affects anything.

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
Although having Tongass above the PF scenery should not be a problem, you might find that the FSGenesis is the root of your trouble, the only reason you would have a floating runway would be because the terrain mesh is at a different altitude to the one set for the airfield, considering the airfield is set to match the PF mesh, it seems very likely that the FSGenesis is interfering somehow.

It might be worth checking the FTX forums to check on compatibility with FS Genesis.

BeaverDriver

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
FSG should be overridden by Tongass and PFJ actually. Now, there were conflicting suggestions in the PFJ manual about what should be on top of what. I asked for clarification on the Orbx forum and they said that Tongass should actually be BELOW the Orbx stuff (I know, opposite to what we heard earlier). So try layering Tongass below and see if that helps.
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

AaronMyers

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
Excellent, I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks for all the help on this guys, I appreciate it.

sergf229

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 04:40:43 AM »
Have the same in Lavander, but I found very strange thing.
I have this problem if I choose this strip for the first flight (or place).
So, if I change the airport from simulator and after that will come back to Lavander, I have no problem at all. I have the right Runway!

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:25:01 AM »
I think I have similar things happening...

My problems occured during the airport creation phases of the three I have done so far. Could it be that when one creates several layers of polygons, i.e. airport flatten, excludes, landclass base, landclass trees, landclass x, y, z... then when I load the scenery in sim sometimes I would "lose" the trees and the flattens went awry.

I discovered a small checkbox in ADE which says "Lock" in the layer properties.

So could it be that if you don't lock the layers before you post them as addons, then FSX chooses to layer the polys any which way but? Certainly now that I locked the hanglider pad layers things seem right. I did it for the paintshop airstrip too, so before Brad releases my addins, I'll re-send.

All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:37:38 AM »
Folks, Kim will need to look into this I think as he was the Lavender Lake location manager. However, I don't think it's because of what Kim did, or what I did. It's got to have something to do with another flatten from different scenery. Not ORBX mind you, but Ultimate Terrain or FSGenesis, FSGlobal, etc.

The reason I'm fairly certain of this, is because Kim didn't issue a flatten file with this scenery. There is no PF04_ADEX_KG_ALT.bgl file in the installation of Lavender Lake, so he didn't create any flatten for the runway here.

I could be wrong, but check to make sure that no other mesh is causing some conflicts here.

Brad

AaronMyers

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:51 AM »
Admittedly part of my issue was my own damn fault (no surprise there). When I installed the scenery I misunderstood the directions and placed the PF04_ADEX_KG.BGL and PF04_ADEX_KG_CVX.BGL files in the scenery\world\scenery folder essentially making it a lesser priority than it should. This caused the floating runway problem. As it stands now the scenery is all on one layer with one another making the lodge and the surroundings look fine, and the runway is again on solid ground, but there is an elevation issue with the runway itself making it higher than the rest of the scenery. Not a huge issue as things look much better now.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
Aaron,
been there and done that!  That is the reason for the middle line of the three at the bottom of my signature!
 ;)
Later,

Spud