Author Topic: Keeping track of MM scenery  (Read 51237 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Keeping track of MM scenery
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »
I have noticed that while most folks are installing the scenery according to the instructions included with the scenery others use other methods.  (All scenery and textures combined in a Master folder) both methods will work just fine but the latter will make it more difficult to trace any problems that arise.  I have elected to use the install called for in the instructions but I have added one small thing that helps me keep things sorted in my aged old brain.  I have add the prefix MM to each of the folders name IE: 'MM Aiken Creek Camp' etc.  After using the insertion point function of FTX Central all MM scenery is at the top of the Scenery Library alphabetically.  Not necessary but being anal retentive about what is where I will know instantly when a scenery is for Misty Moorings this way.
 :)
Later,

Spud

Dieter

Re: Keeping track of MM scenery
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
This is a way to find and identfy missing textures:

Just adding a few lines to the FSx.xfg file under the scenery section:

[SCENERY]
// To show alerts or areas, set to = 1
// To hide alerts or areas, set to = 0

// Alert for missing textures
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

// Alert for missing objects
MissingLibraryAlert=1

// Render Trigger areas as visible boxes
ShowTriggers=1

Make sure you turn off the ShowMissingTextureAlert by setting it to 0 when you have finished debugging as it can be a very annoying thing having it constantly popping up.

source:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Texture_-_Missing_(FSX)

Dieter
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:50:37 PM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

BeaverDriver

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
This is great Dieter - thanks!!

Insofar as putting all bgl's into one Scenery folder for any scenery add-on being a problem, I'm not convinced it is. If you go to Aiken for instance and see something messed up, you'll know its a texture. Likely, unless that texture is unique to that scenery only, it will show up in other areas (such as at Misty, Hunters Bay, etc) and it will be fairly easy to ID. From there you can find the missing texture and add it or fix it. The advantage is that you have fewer entries in FSX, therefore less complication at layering (dramatically less in most cases), it's easier to isolate a whole chunk of scenery at one time for troubleshooting (like I did with Ketch - I was able to disable the entire MM in one shot which told me it wasn't MM that was at fault), and easier to keep track of what you have. Anyway, I'm not discrediting the normal procedures, and if you are new to adding scenery (or FSX), don't have huge numbers of scenery files, or just plain like the many-folders method, then it's best to follow the install instructions for sure. I've just done this "a few times"  ;D so I'm comfortable with the process and know how to recover if I run into trouble (yell for HELP <LOL>!! <-- JK, I really can fix it myself :D ).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:11:46 PM by BeaverDriver »
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

Dieter

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »
Sceneries of RTMM consist of bgl-files only. The texture folder is completely missing. All textures now come from the EZ-library or from the Acc pack library instead ( or maybe from the internal FSX library.) ORBX library is not used.  We all have FSX and same EZ-library, but not everybody has the Acc pack.
So white or black patches of  missing textures  (after a proper installation)  can only have  their origin in lack of this acc-package, what I think.

For me it's no question to put all bgl-files in one main folder, except the "ALT"-bgl, which I put in \Scenery\world\scenery.
For searching a missing texture you can either use the above mentioned procedure or you can disassemble the bgl-file and try to it find out this way, but that's a long one.

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »
Excellent stuff here in this post. I believe we have a sticky folks.

Brad

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »
I have another idea:
In FS2004 I used Instant Scenery/Flight 1. This old version doesn't work in FSX.
If somebody in this community has the latest version  2 maybe he could find out the name of the missing cabin and put the name of the texture here.

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:20 AM »
Instant Scenery 1.04 should work in FSX - that's what I am using to create my research base (see my thread)

Granted, it is having small problems, but all in all it works.
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:25 AM »
Adding to the confusion if I you'll allow me, I was wondering whatever happened to the old and sensible habit of storing scenery libraries OUTSIDE of FS(X) ???? I ALWAYS do that with freeware (commercial packages often come with an installer that won't let you do that).

It certainly makes finding stuff easier, and restoring FS too.

I agree with Don that having a separate entry for each and every tent that gets added to FSX will result in an extremely messy and often garbled scenery,cfg file. We all know that FSX already has problems keeping this file in synch with reality * grin *.
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »
I agree with Francois, mostly.   ;)   I've installed all the scenery files as separate folders in Addon Scenery, under a master folder called RTMM.   Once I've checked out all the scenery locations and find no problems I'll combine them into one master folder.   At least this is my current approach!    ;D
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Reggy

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:30:52 AM »

Hi guys,

First off, I apoligize for asking a question on such an old post. In the comment "Posted by: Dieter « on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »" he mentions a scenery library called "Acc pack". As I have not seen this mentioned in any of the set up literature I am just curious to know whether this is neccessary or not and if it is, where to find it.

Thanks
Reggy   :)
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »

Hi guys,

First off, I apoligize for asking a question on such an old post. In the comment "Posted by: Dieter « on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »" he mentions a scenery library called "Acc pack". As I have not seen this mentioned in any of the set up literature I am just curious to know whether this is neccessary or not and if it is, where to find it.

Thanks
Reggy   :)

Reggy,
the Acc pack Dieter is referring to is the object library that is included in the FSX Acceleration Pack.  Acceleration was an additional addon that replaced SP2 and added more objects, missions and a few airplanes to FSX.  Only way to get the library is to have Acceleration installed.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Reggy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »
Dooh! feeling stupid now, but thanks for that spud, I suppose learning something new everyday isn'nt such a bad way to travel though.

Cheers
Reggy     :-[
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:22:47 PM by Reggy »
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »
Don't know if this forum is still monitored or not, but my question is if I create an Addon Scenery/ Misty Moorings folder and move my RTMM scenery folders there do I have to delete and re-activate those areas in FSX from the new folder or are they still active with the old path? Am I going to get an error message saying it can't find the old folder? I've deleted old scenery folders before and had this problem. Thnx in advance.
                                       JJ
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »
jsapair,
how exactly do you have the RTMM scenery installed at the moment?  Did you stick everything into one folder under the Addon Scenery folder?  (troubleshooting nightmare IMHO)  If this is the case then you will probably have to go into the FSX Scenery Library and un-check that folder.  The scenery database will redo itself when you click OK.  Now the RTMM scenery is no longer available in FSX.  If you just dumped all the .bgl files into the one big folder you disabled then you will have to re-install all the RTMM scenery from your backup .zip files, or if you did not save them download the scenery again.  It should be installed in FSX\Addon Scenery\Misty Moorings\(RTMM Scenery folder\scenery sub-folder)  There will be a folder and scenery sub-folder for each RTMM scenery download.
Personally I always rename my scenery for example MM Aiken Creek Camp, note the MM just to keep track that this is Misty Moorings scenery.  I place the scenery alphabetically at the top of my FSX Scenery Library again just to make it easy to find if I need to re-visit it for any reason.
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
Hi Spud. Thanx for your response. No, I only have 2 MM sceneries installed at this moment...Misty's Place and Aiken Creek, and went by the default directions. So those folders are just under the Addon Scenery tree. I saw your earlier post about how you install yours. I don't have a Misty Moorings folder under Addon Scenery..I would have to create it and move any MM folders to it. That's my question. If I do that...move the MM folders from Addon Scenery to Addon Scenery/Misty Moorings, do I need to delete them from FSX scenery Library and re-activate them from the new Addon/ Scenery/Misty Moorings folder? Is the location change going to be a problem unless I tell the Library differently?
Jsapair