Author Topic: skipping over water  (Read 5391 times)

addy

skipping over water
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »
How do I chance the aircraft.cfg so I can skip over water with my tundra tires? This is method to make water to land landings. So you can land on short beaches. A2A Simulations has done this  with their Piper Cub.  I would like to do this with my C185f.

foggy-bottom

Re: skipping over water
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
Addy,  I tried the 'skipping' with the default ultralight - no mods to config file - worked OK.  Also done it with the FR Cubs with big tires - no mods required.  Have you tried your 185 as is??  It may not require any mods.
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

addy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
foggy-bottom, I tried it with the tundra tires. But the sligthest touch of water makes the plane crach ("splash"). It also does not work on the realair Scout. The A2A piper works exelent, even with a trace in the water and bumping airplane.

foggy-bottom

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:06:09 AM »
OK Addy,  I don't have the A2A Cub - it's on the shop list! - nor the Scout.  However, I do have crash detection turned off, though at the point of "water contact" FSX should throw the aeroplane back into the air automatically, and I don't get that.  I have a couple of images in an archive of the ultralight water skimming.  I will try and dig them out, and get some of a cub.  I'll post them here sometime next week.

Have you asked the "cofig" question on the Scout support forum?
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
I just wanted to say that I tried it with my Aerosoft Beaver on Tundra tires.  It got thrown into the air at full throttle when it touched the water.  If you add floats (or maybe skis) to the contact points section of the aircraft.cfg file, it will skip on the water like an amphib.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
I think Jeff is probably correct that the contact points would have to be altered.  Just what that would entail I do not know but I just looked at the Tundra tire Beaver and the Float Beaver .cfg files and the float version has 12 contact points whereas the Tundra has only 10 points.  The amphib. models have 15 points.  Must be in there somewhere?
 8)
Later,

Spud

addy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:19:07 PM »
Yes, I think that altering the contactpoints may result in other behaviour. I will do some experiments.
A nice STOL-water/land landing on Youtube:
 http://youtu.be/tl8QjuPacro

http://youtu.be/zm_lyCnaWOY

It would be great to do this with my C185 (crashdetection on)!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 02:31:12 PM by addy »

archangel1

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 04:47:09 PM »
Cool! Using the water to extend your landing/takeoff for 100' or so is one thing.  How about flying on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InGwnTt9FrU
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!