Author Topic: settings scenery library problem  (Read 5824 times)

Lipra

settings scenery library problem
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »
Hi
I have installed all the misty files ok with no problems. I have then added a new one for ibiza in Spain. this shows in the libray but all the others are blank so I do not know what is in that slot. onyone know how to get the dispaly back ?

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: settings scenery library problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
First thing I would recommend is delete that last addon and see if RTMM comes back.  If it does you know that either the Ibiza addon is faulty or your installation was incorrect.  If RTMM is still blank after deleting the new addon I have never heard of this happening before and would have to defer to somebody else for a possible solution.  Just to be sure are you saying that when you bring up the Scenery Library only the Ibiza scenery is named and nothing else?  A screen shot of the Library would help a lot.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Lipra

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »
Hi Spud
Yes I have removed the new entry but still the same. I can confirm that the only entry I can see is the new one. If I try and add an existing one then It will not allow me saying that it is already there. If you tell me how I can do a screen shot for you. I think I screwed the install but cant for the life of me get it back.

Just tried misty's place no buildings and trees on the runway
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:39:41 PM by Lipra »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »
To remove the Ibiza scenery, first start FSX go to Settings/Scenery Library and Uncheck the Ibiza box on the left.  On the right click Delete Area and click OK.  Now exit FSX and open Explorer and navigate to the FSX\Addon folder find the Ibiza folder and delete it.  Now it is not in your Library or on the HD.

Are you using WIN7 as an operating system?  If so there has been some problems with people adding scenery etc. to the sim. 
The normal method is:
unzip the scenery file to a junk folder or desktop.  Follow the readme or install instructions.  The folder for the airport should be placed in the FSX\Addon Scenery folder. 

EXAMPLE ONLY:
I do not know your file names but lets say its Ibiza.zip when you download it. 
1.  Unzip it and there is a folder named Ibiza with a sub folder named scenery. 
2.  You COPY the Ibiza folder with its sub-folder to the FSX\Addon Scenery folder.
3.  Now start FSX and when the screen with the spinning airplane shows up click on Settings on the left and select Scenery Library on the next screen.
4.  On the right click on Add Area
5.  This will display the Select Scenery Directory screen, at the top it will say Look in: (It should have Microsoft Flight Simulator in the box at the top). 
6.  Below that is a list of folders in the FSX folder, one of which will be named Addon Scenery(usually 2nd one down)
7.  Double click on Addon Scenery and you will see the Ibiza folder somewhere in the screen that comes up.
8.  SINGLE click on the Ibiza folder.
9.  In the small box below the list of folder it will show the path to the Ibiza folder.
10.Click OK next to that box and it will add the Ibiza folder to your Scenery Library.

If you get the message the file already exists it is because you did not do what it says in the first paragraph of this post.  Otherwise the folder will show at the top of your Scenery library.

11.IF your using WIN7 there might be a problem around step 8 but not having WIN7 myself I an not positive.  There are posts on the WEB discussing WIN7 and adding scenery that will cover this.  There may even be one on this site.  Come on WIN 7 users provide a link to a thread for him!

All of the above is predicated on having FSX in the default location of course.
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
Hi Spud
Yes I have removed the new entry but still the same. I can confirm that the only entry I can see is the new one. If I try and add an existing one then It will not allow me saying that it is already there. If you tell me how I can do a screen shot for you. I think I screwed the install but cant for the life of me get it back.

Just tried misty's place no buildings and trees on the runway

The reason it says the file exists is of course because it is already in your Scenery Library but for some reason it is not showing, and only the Ibiza scenery is showing as I understand you.  Follow the first paragraph in my previous post about installing scenery first to delete the Ibiza scenery and see if the other scenery shows up.  You will probably have to close FSX and reload it after deleting the scenery from your Scenery Library and the HD.
Later,

Spud

Lipra

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Hi Spud
Im running vista 32 bit. I have deleted the file completely from my system as you suggested but still cant see any names in the window.

I deleted the config file and rebuilt that but it made no difference.

Im now wondering if I have a corrupt config file some where, although I cant put in any addon area that exists already so that is doubtfull. Im sure the answer is simple and i'll kick myself when I find it.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:05:14 AM »
Lipra,
just to make sure I'm up to date I understand that the RTMM sceneries showed in your Scenery Library BEFORE you installed the Ibiza scenery.  After you installed that scenery then nothing else is visible in your Scenery Library except the Ibiza entry?  Nothing else shows including all the default scenery folders that were there before you installed Ibiza?
If this is the case you can try this:
Navigate to your Scenery.cfg file.  For XP this is C:\Documents and Settings\(USER NAME)\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX. Back up the Scenery.cfg by making a copy and rename the copy to Scenery.cfg.ORG, then delete the scenery.cfg file
Start FSX and it will build a new Scenery.cfg file that should put the scenery back into your Library.  If it all goes south you can navigate back to the Scenery.cfg and delete it and rename the copy Scenery.cfg and your back to square one.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Lipra

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 04:00:05 AM »
Hi Spud
Thats correct. Before I started I had all the oddons etc. showing then just ibiza now none show after deletion of Ibiza).I do have the crosses to show they are activated.

I have done a system restore and this has restored me back. not sure what I did to cause the problem but thanks for you help spud
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:15:54 AM by Lipra »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
Glad you have it sorted.  I suspect Ibiza installation was the cause.  Curious to know did it use an installer .exe or did you install it manually.  I ask because I have learned over the years to NEVER use an auto-installer to install directly into FSX.  I always direct the installer to install to a dummy folder first.  That way I can see the files and folder it writes to my FSX.  If it appears that nothing is amiss THEN I run it to the FSX.  If there is some sort of problem I have the dummy install as a guide to delete everything including those files stuck off where you would never expect them to be.  So far I have been lucky and not had problems but I still prefer a manual install. ("Please mother, I'd rather do it myself!")
 8)
Later,

Spud

Lipra

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:40:32 PM »
Hi Spud
Yes im sure I fouled up the install of Ibiza somehow. It was only a simple bgl file to install and I have done hundreds before. there was no auto install. I am the same as you, install to my netbook first to check the file structure then if im happy run the installer on my games PC.
Anyway thanks again and if I do discover what went / I did wrong I will update this thread for future reference.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
Yes, an update if the problem's cause is found would be very helpful to anyone else that might have it in the future.  Thanks for that.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
Spud ... thank you for your help on a tough one ... this kind of effort is appreciated by all in the RTMM community. Nice job.

D