Author Topic: Why kids lose interest in aviation  (Read 3052 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Why kids lose interest in aviation
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
When I was a kid I remember walking over to the Spokane, WA commercial airport, Felts Field at that time, and roaming all over the ramp looking at airplanes, into hangars, even playing in a couple of old cockpits wrecked beside the hangars and nobody said a word to you except maybe to be careful.
Here is as close a most kids will ever get now days.

For those who assume bears are cute cuddly fur balls some sage advice.

8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

Re: Why kids lose interest in aviation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Unfortunately, you're probably right in both cases.  Your first example is, in a large part, due to the unreasonable paranoia that is so prevalent in the world today and the second, although tongue-in-cheek, demonstrates the rapid advance of a lack of what should be common sense in humans in general.  Ever check the Darwin Awards lately?

When I was just starting school, (in the middle of the last century ::) ), I was soon left to make my way there and back (about a mile and a half round trip) by myself and nobody thought anything about a 5 or 6 year old kid wandering about on his own.  Now parents are afraid to let their kids walk out of their sight, even if it's only a block.  Remember the cool (but dangerous) toys? Lawn darts! Chemistry sets! Cap guns! Dead as a dodo, now.  Junior might hurt himself! Wasn't hurting yourself part of growing up? It's amazing any of us survived to adulhood, to hear the 'experts' talk.

Should have left things to the dinosaurs.  They lasted for 250 million years.  I'd be surprised if we make it another 1000, the way we're going.

I read somewhere, I think it was in Calvin and Hobbes of all things, that The surest sign of intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't tried to contact us.  Or as Monty Python puts it in 'The Galaxy Song', Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. Sad, but probably true.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »
in Calvin and Hobbes of all things, that The surest sign of intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't tried to contact us.
  Calvin and Hobbes.. infinite wisdom, love those collections.

And growing up with chemistry sets, climbing trees with "safety lines" tied around our ankles from the ground, lawn darts, and learning from skinned knees/elbows that "maybe I won't grow up to be a pro skateboarder" ....   I'm full in favor of taking the warning labels off everything and let nature take its course.   ;D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »
I have always thought that when a kid turns 15 he should be given a new Maserati.  That way we would not have to put up with so many 16 year olds!!!
 8)
Later,

Spud