Author Topic: Dispatches  (Read 3332 times)

aujeffk

Dispatches
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
1 - I love the dispatches.  Great idea and really puts more realism into planning a flight.

2 - I like the shorter dispatches (or break down some of the larger ones into shorter ones).  My schedule only permits me to fly about 30 minutes at a time (if I want to remain a good husband and father).

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Dispatches
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
I think we'll be having some shorter ones.  The "Cabin Inspection Tours" was an idea given to me and a perfect way to get the newcomers out there in the woods looking for things, since there's not much to download. These will get them started.  I got the Lighthouses up today. That's a good one to "overnight" ... I did when I was making it ... woke up the next morning, checked in and the plane was right where I left it! :-)  We'll keep "playing" with them ... but it looks like the format is good.  Don't forget, we've got a LOT of trip tics that are one stoppers ... and they work pretty easily too. They will have a lot more "turn by turn" VFR information in them. For folks who have FSDiscover! that can be a LOT of fun. A great way to learn the area. 

Thanks for the suggestion ... we'll keep "playing" and see what happens.

D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »
1 - I love the dispatches.  Great idea and really puts more realism into planning a flight.

2 - I like the shorter dispatches (or break down some of the larger ones into shorter ones).  My schedule only permits me to fly about 30 minutes at a time (if I want to remain a good husband and father).

If your computer is like mine I hope the 30 min. limit does not include turning on and loading FSX.  For me that would cut the actual flight time to less than 15 min. for sure.  ::)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
aujeffk ...

I've been giving more thought to the shorter flights you suggested.  Again, the trip tics are one location flight plans and usually not too long ... don't forget those ... any scenery location with one will be indicated at its location on the scenery page.

But beyond that ... this last dispatch 007 ... is a 'longer" kind of flight. HOWEVER ... you don't need to start at the beginning and fly all the way to the end. Pick a place in the middle and just fly that.  Getting from Hugh Smith Lake to Humpback Lake is fun and scenic ... probably a 10 minute flight.  An even trickier one is Humpback to Gwent Bay Cannery ... that one does some valley flying that is beautiful and fun, probably 15 minutes.   The key to these is using the "mooring points" that are listed on the MAP ROOM page and THE CABINS page.  Remember, if you are going after a USFS cabin, they are on The Cabins' page (you can get there via the map room or from the site navigation table on the home page).  But just "place" yourself at one of these, then go to that spot in the dispatch and fly it. You can look at the maps on the Dispatches and see how 'difficult' the area might be to try.

MOORING POINTS HOW TO: (This for someone who might not yet know) The MOORING POINTS are all explained (how to) in the FAQ here: http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/faq/#m ... it is a simple procedure and when you get used to it, you are no longer "bound" to flight plans but you can fly "pieces" of them or just start at your favorite cabin to fly to PAKT for a loaf of bread. It gives you a great deal more flexibility on where YOU want to go.  This can open up all kinds of flight plan possibilities for people.

D

aujeffk

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'll be flying some segments of the new dispatches soon.