Author Topic: Dispatch #1  (Read 4301 times)

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
Dispatch #1
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »
During this dispatch I left my 182 at Wilson River Lodge and ran the river.  Had to stop at Brad's BBQ to catch my breath!  Going through those rapids was a hoot...   :-)   I only ended up on the shore once so far.  I'll finish up the run in the morning, meanwhile I see a campfire and smell baby backs!

Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Dispatch #1
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
Glad you are enjoying it. When I was flying to Wilson Narrows the other day, I was sort of wondering where I was, then there's Wilson River with the rapids. My grip on the yoke eased and I turned left knowing exactly where I was. That river was a devil to "river-scape".

I get "complaints" in the emails that the rivers are "just not fun" because of the rapids and rivers. The rapids are "too loud" (like I can control the sound of a bgl that are "automatic"). These folks need to "uncheck" that scenery and try it without what we've done. You come around a corner and there is a SQUARE WALL of water, or in Wilson River's case, stacked walls of water diagonally across a curve in the river.  When I see them as I'm doing the river-scaping, I've actually just said "OMG" and thrown up my hands to go get a cup of coffee ... some are IMPOSSIBLE to try to fix up ... yet they seem passable in the end.  I've had two rivers that I spent at least 10 hours on EACH that I had to walk away from ... one had a 10 foot wall between the river and the lake. I went 30 miles up that river to hit an impossibility 5 feet from the "goal" ... talk about frustration.  But I think we've made a lot of them fun anyway.  Franklly, I'm enjoying doing the dispatches, its is a nice break from the "frustration" of trying to fix the rivers.

Glad you are enjoying them ...

D

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
Doug,

You'll never be able to please everyone. Do what you like to do  :( and I believe that the majority of people will enjoy it and appreciate your efforts.

It's freeware so the minority of people that have a problem with it have a choice. Use it or lose it. 

Keep up the great efforts you've brought to RTMM. They are fantastic enhancements and unique creations that bring something positive to our users.

Brad

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
Glad you are enjoying it. When I was flying to Wilson Narrows the other day, I was sort of wondering where I was, then there's Wilson River with the rapids. My grip on the yoke eased and I turned left knowing exactly where I was. That river was a devil to "river-scape".

I get "complaints" in the emails that the rivers are "just not fun" because of the rapids and rivers. The rapids are "too loud" (like I can control the sound of a bgl that are "automatic"). These folks need to "uncheck" that scenery and try it without what we've done.....
.....  Franklly, I'm enjoying doing the dispatches, its is a nice break from the "frustration" of trying to fix the rivers.

Glad you are enjoying them ...

D

Hmmm,
sounds like 'some people' might require a visit from Vinnie and Dutch.  Neat thing about Freeware if you do not like it just remove it, no need to "complain".  Not saying that asking if rapids and/or sound can be modified, I have done that myself.  But it was posed as a question not a complaint.
Our developers spend their own free time and computer resources to enhance our FS experiences.  How many have never even said thank you to them.  Sure there are a few warts and moles here and there but like any starlet they are just to be considered beauty marks.
 8)
Later,

Spud

WeDGe

• You cant take it with ya
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
lol what we need is a door at the back of brads barbeque that says " Complaint dept " then when someone complains we show them the back door and when they go out it there,s a hungry grizzly waiting for them," 8)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »
Well the "last guy" that complained got a real surprise.  He was upset about Wilson River. So I sent him a newly corrected bgl that tamed down the rapids.  I made a bgl with one sign, it said "danger" ... and there was nothing else in it. So when he loaded all he got was a sign and the original river.  Haven't heard back from him.

Spud ... nah, that's not the problem, I get a lot of "questions" and these are "legit" as far as I'm concerned. I had the very same questions when I started going after the problem, so I don't mind the questions and I have some before/after pics of the rivers and actually don't mind "explaining" what we are doing to those folks ... it is fun to get to know them.  But when one says ... and I quote: "... it is most unprofessional of you and your developers to be adding things to the rivers instead of leaving them in their natural condition and also, you represent a flight simming site, you should stick to what you know and leave the rivers alone."  How would you like to wake up to that one?  He made the mistake of signing his "login" name ... needless to say, he's not a member any more. Fun to have "the power" :-)

D

Fireball

• Chris Losh
    • Northern Air Charters
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »
It sounds to me like it is another person who does not realize what Misty Mooring’s is all about. It is not about the starting point or the ending point it is about the journey. The places that we create are to let you take that journey any way you want. There is no set route only a suggested one.

There also is no complaint department. There is only a solution department. “Solutions are that if you do not like it then delete it “!!!!

Suggestions are always welcomed  ;)

Doug keep up the great work that you are doing!!!!

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Well the "last guy" that complained got a real surprise.  He was upset about Wilson River. So I sent him a newly corrected bgl that tamed down the rapids.  I made a bgl with one sign, it said "danger" ... and there was nothing else in it. So when he loaded all he got was a sign and the original river.  Haven't heard back from him.

Spud ... nah, that's not the problem, I get a lot of "questions" and these are "legit" as far as I'm concerned. I had the very same questions when I started going after the problem, so I don't mind the questions and I have some before/after pics of the rivers and actually don't mind "explaining" what we are doing to those folks ... it is fun to get to know them.  But when one says ... and I quote: "... it is most unprofessional of you and your developers to be adding things to the rivers instead of leaving them in their natural condition and also, you represent a flight simming site, you should stick to what you know and leave the rivers alone."  How would you like to wake up to that one?  He made the mistake of signing his "login" name ... needless to say, he's not a member any more. Fun to have "the power" :-)

D

Well Done, Doug!
Don`t take these people for serious.
We are members here on RTMM because we all love the things developped by the RTMM-Team!!!!
Please keep your great work up and offer us much more of your goodies... 8)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
"How would you like to wake up to that one?  He made the mistake of signing his "login" name ... needless to say, he's not a member any more. Fun to have "the power" :-)"

I certainly hope you refunded the purchase price for the software!  I still think Vinnie and Dutch would have been as effective!
 :P
Later,

Spud

Dragnhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »
There's always the ungrateful bunch and you can't please them.  I think Vinnie already paid them a visit once before!  lol

For me, the journey is the best part.  Not that the destinations are bad, they are wonderful, but dodging off a bit to check something out along the way, with no "check-in" points required is my cup o Joe.  I love the work on the rivers Doug has done.  Before heading down the Wilson to Brad's BBQ I purposely didn't slew over the area first.  That way it was white knuckle boating all the way!   A few times it was a total white out and I wasn't sure what surprise awaited me after coming out of the mist.  Good times!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

archangel1

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
I think the biggest problem with the internet in general is that it's 'faceless'.  People think that, because 99% of the time nobody knows who you are, it gives you the right to bitch and moan and complain about everything, whether you paid for it or not.  It also allows the 'experts'  ::) to have their say without being challenged directly.  How many times have you seen a poster criticise something down to atomic level without ever providing backing for their points? It should always be a case of 'Put up or shut up.  If you can do better, prove it.'.  I've been to model contests where somebody has pointed out a 'mistake' on a model aircraft, for example, only to be told that the builder was a member of the ground crew on the original plane! Can you say foot in mouth, boys and girls?

Just keep on doing what you're doing, Doug, and ignore the 'experts'.  As for picking on RTMM specifically for not being strictly a flight simming site, why are there dozens upon dozens of pilotable boats and vehicles available web-wide for the basic installation of FS9 and FSX if they're not meant to be used?
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
Well speak of the devil ..... just ran across a letter from Vinnie to his dad.  Been wondering why he has not been around the bar lately.

;D

Old Italian's Tomato Garden

An old Italian lived alone in New Jersey . He wanted to plant his annual tomato garden, but it was very difficult work, as the ground was hard.

His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament:

Dear Vincent,

I am feeling pretty sad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. I know if you were here my troubles would be over. I know you would be happy to dig the plot for me, like in the old days.

Love,
Papa

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Papa,

Don't dig up that garden. That's where the bodies are buried.

Love,
Vinnie

At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.
That same day the old man received another letter from his son..

Dear Papa,

Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love,
Vinnie

8)
Later,

Spud

Dragnhorn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:16 AM »
Good one Spud!    ;D
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: