Author Topic: The Dispatcher's Office  (Read 544177 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: The Dispatcher's Office
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
Yes that's it.

foggy-bottom

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
Hi Doug,  It looks like this development is gaining pace.

I have a tasking - regret, text only as I have to get stuff together for tomorrow morning.  05:00Z start and an 80mile drive to my new office!!

Task is a joint parts delivery, pollution and fisheries recce then a return with the U/S - duff parts.

Charts required:Ketchikan Chart on the "SkyVector" site - link on Maps Page

Start from Misty's Place to Totem Bight Ops (TBO) for parts/pax pickup.  2 pax and 550lbs of drive shafts and a gear box casing for Fleet Bay.

Depart NW from TBO then turn left to 180 at N end of Gravina Island - Vallinar Point

Land fall on Prince of Wales Island at Chasina Point

Turn left again heading 155 - follow coastline to S tip of Prince of Wales.  Report any signs of Pollution on shoreline.  A Bulk Carrier is suspected of doing an unauthorised tank wash about a week ago and some pollution has been reported around Kasaan Bay and Skowl Arm.

Deliver Parts/Pax to Fleet Bay.

NOTAM:  Small pod of Dolphin reported in the approach channel to Fleet Bay Dock plus higher than usual seabird activity.

Refuel at Fleet Bay may be required!

Return with duff parts to TBO - there MAY be 1 or 2 pax to bring back also!

Return route is from Fleet Bay - Cape Chacon - to Cape Northumberland at S tip of Duke Island - heading approx 055.  Follow coast lines to E of Duke Island, Mary Island.  Again, any reports of shoreline pollution are welcome.

Pax may require drop-off at PAKX - or go direct to TBO, and they can get the ferry launch.  Depends what time their flight out of PAKT is. 

Weather is fairly marginal currently, but "doable" -

PAKT:

######################## Weather for PAKT ########################

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ METAR ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PAKT 311453Z 00000KT 10SM FEW003 SCT026 SCT048 12/11 A2996 RMK AO2 SLP147 HARBOR WND 28003KT T01170106 53009

Zulu Time:   14:53 (day 31 of month)
Wind:      Calm
Visibility:   8.67nm
Cloud Cover:   Few at 300ft
Cloud Cover:   Scattered at 2600ft
Cloud Cover:   Scattered at 4800ft
Temperature:   12°C
Dewpoint:   11°C
Humidity:   94%
Barometer:   29.96hg

Remarks:   AO2 SLP147 HARBOR WND 28003KT T01170106 53009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TAF ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PAKT 311432Z 3115/0112 VRB03KT P6SM VCSH FEW010 BKN035 OVC050 FM311600 00000KT P6SM SCT015 OVC035 FM312100 14008KT P6SM SCT020 OVC040 FM010300 13004KT P6SM VCSH SCT015 OVC025 FM010900 14003KT P6SM BCFG BKN015 OVC025 PROB30 0109/0112 P6SM -RA OVC015

Zulu Time:   14:32 (day 31 of month)
Valid date:   31. 15:00 through 01. 12:00
Wind:      Variable at 03
Visibility:   more than 5.20nm
Conditions:   in the vicinity Showers
Cloud Cover:   Few at 1000ft
Cloud Cover:   Broken at 3500ft
Cloud Cover:   Overcast at 5000ft

***** Changing *****
Beginning:   31. 16:00
Wind:      Calm
Cloud Cover:   Scattered at 1500ft
Cloud Cover:   Overcast at 3500ft

***** Changing *****
Beginning:   31. 21:00
Wind:      140/08
Cloud Cover:   Scattered at 2000ft
Cloud Cover:   Overcast at 4000ft

***** Changing *****
Beginning:   01. 03:00
Wind:      130/04
Conditions:   in the vicinity Showers
Cloud Cover:   Scattered at 1500ft
Cloud Cover:   Overcast at 2500ft

***** Changing *****
Beginning:   01. 09:00
Wind:      140/03
Conditions:   Patchy Fog
Cloud Cover:   Broken at 1500ft
Cloud Cover:   Overcast at 2500ft
Valid date:   01. 09:00 through 01. 12:00
Conditions:   light Rain
Cloud Cover:   Overcast at 1500ft

Recommended equipment - Beaver Float or Amphib.
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

foggy-bottom

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Quick addition:

If any surface traffic is sighted W of Annette Island, or in the Nichols Passage between Annette and Gravina Islands, please conduct a quick recce to ensure they're not chucking stuff "over the side!"  Thanks...
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
Hi Doug,
I flew Dispatch #001 this weekend. And I enjoyed it really very much. Great Idea on the Dispatch Office!  ;)

I made a video of this flight which I´m uploading this night.

Lots of ideas for dispatchflights were already made in this threat. Great!

I was thinking about a kind of medical tour to one of the cabins around. Something like a hiker at Burnett Inland Cabin got sick and has to be flown out for medical care to Ketchikan PAKT.

Take off: Misty`s Place
Destination: Burnett Inland Cabin
Landing: Ketchikan Harbour or Kethikan HIghway Helipad

Another one, I already did with the 412 is flying some new scientists and supplies to Forrester Island Research Outpost, the most western misty scenery, I think! It´s not on a typical sightseeing route, but a nice location for helis..... ;). Also bring back the actual scientists crew back to Ketchikan Airport PAKT

Take off: Misty`s Place
1. Destination: Ketchikan (PAKT), loading new scientists
2. Destination: Forrester Island Research Outpost, Drop off new Scientists and supplies, loading the old scientists crew.
Landing : Ketchikan (PAKT) or Terrace, if Flight should take some time more.

Both Ideas of mine or trips flying there and back again. I think there could be some of these trips, too. So we would get a good mixture of complex routes, Sightseeing trips and these easy runs. Some users like long trips an have the approbiate time doing this. Others fly shorter, less complex Flights according to the less sparetime thes have. With a growing displatch Flights list, users can choose their tours from a wide range of tasks to perform, longer and shorter tours... 8)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
Good ideas all!  I'm putting up #003 tonight.  You'll see the format is sort of the same, but I'm playing with graphics, the map is better and easier to read, etc. Still not quite done in that area, still beta.  This one too focuses on the USFS cabins but in the Ketchikan Area.  I have two more to do and I'll have all the cabins covered.  All will be "cabin inspection" types. 

This will give the newer folks something to play with since they might not have all 100 scenery locations in! :-)  They only have to add one or two ... if they've got the 001 patch of PFJ, then they have most of these.  So I'll get the other two "up" and we'll settle down the graphics so I can have an easy template to just fill in, then we can get serious and come up with some great trips. 

The "pull out" dispatcher's ribbon is working better than I thought it would. it is "out of the way". You don't need to be continually "reading it" ... but you may want to check the map while flying, pull it out, check, put it back, never miss a beat.  The 'reading' can happen when you are on the ground/water before the next leg, they are only a paragraph long, then tuck them away and hit the throttle.

It's taking me a lot of extra time right now because I'm learning PhotoShop Elements 9 as well as trying to do this ... the map took HOURS ... now I can do one in MINUTES ... but the learning curve is not intuitive for me. I sort of need a "Dummies" book for the "Elements 9 for Dummies" book I bought!  Dan got me on skype tonight and I watched him do things on the screen while he talked me thorugh it ... a good lesson.

So we'll not lose any of these thoughts and ideas ... I'm going to be a little slow on purpose sticking with the cabins. I want to get them done, and it is great practice for things more complex maybe yet to come.

The new Dispatch #003 (USFS Ketchikan Cabin Inspections) is "up" at the Dispatcher's Office at Misty's Place.

Again, when it comes up, click on the little square, upper right hand corner of your browser, then size the window so only the words Dispatcher and Ribbon are showing.  Then put FSX to the left of that and you've got it.  I'm finding this is also good because you can have your email "up", or some other web based program, and can check those while you are flying by pulling it out, changing the tab, then changing back and tucking it away.

D

Doug

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
I put up 003 and 004 today.  You can find them at the Dispatcher's Office at Misty's Place. This covers the USFS cabins in the Ketchikan area and in the Misty Fjords National Park.  If you have not found all the cabins, you should give these a try.  I also put a new FAQ up on the FAQ page under Dispatcher's Ribbon so folks will know how to use that feature ... if you want to submit a route, "how to" is listed there also.  All you have to do is click on one of the dispatches there and you can read through it to see what we are doing. Try to change it to the "Dispatcher's Ribbon" described in the FAQ.

I'm going to finish up the cabins ... Prince of Wales Island and a couple down at Hugh Smith Lake, then we'll start getting into some "mission type" dispatches.

D

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Doug

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
#005 is "up".  This one covers a cabin inspection tour of the Prince of Wales Island area USFS cabins. I also add in the Dog Salmon complex and Goose Bay since they are so close. The Keegan Cabins are VERY difficult to approach and find.  Josephine Lake, at 1600 feet is VERY difficult if the weather is with low clouds.  You can find these in the Dispatcher's Office of Misty's Place.  Enjoy.

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Hi Doug,
 These are way too much fun!   ;-)     I did Dispatch 1 last night, only one stop to then my FSX froze up (too much running, then tried to start FSDiscover). 

I'm using two monitors, so what I did is put Plan-G and the Ribbon for the Dispatch on one monitor, and had FSX on the other.  Worked superb!   Here's a screenshot of how it looked.  Widescreen monitor on the left for FSX and square one on the right, both LCD monitors.

Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »
Just flew Dispatch#005, Doug!!
Wow, this was a really amazing tour. There some great USFS Cabins in this Area.
Thank you, Doug for offering this nice tour!!

... And Thank you to the ORBX Guys for puting the Cabins into PFJ!
My favourite by now is the Josephine Lake Cabin!
The Keegans Cabins are nice, too. At one of this cabins there were some Luggage lying...I loaded them into the 412 and took back to Misty`s Place...Hope the owners do not miss them  ;D

i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
Dispatch #006 - The Lighthouses

Here is a complete lighthouse tour for the RTMM area that includes all 12. This package is found at Misty's Place/Dispatcher's Office.  This is a good dispatch for newcomers to RTMM ... all you need is the 001 patch that gives you the lighthouses and cabins. No other scenery is needed to download.

There are 3 long legs ... take that flying time to read about each lighthouse. All are "linked" to the real history of each.  Flying this route will give you a real sense of history, especially if you read the links.  You will actually feel like you were ON the tour with the tour group.  This was an interesting dispatch to create and fly.   Also, it must be noted the amount of work Holger must have gone to in making these for us.  Some of them are very detailed indeed (probably and unfortunately more detailed and pretty that what is "left" of most of them).

D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:46:17 AM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
Thank you, Doug!
Great Idea on the Lighthouse Tour!
I know the ones around Ketchikan quite well, but didn`t visit the southern lighthouses so far!
I will do the Flight soon!

Doug

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
Most of these are going to be great Heli flights. There are helipads at a lot of them, also some "flat" places to land since they "flattened" the land to put in the lighthouses.  Just be careful on the starting point for Ocean Falls, that is a "water" mooring.  I'll go in and fix that now for heli's. Don't download it for a couple hours. The southern ones are LONG flight legs ... 90, 92 and 75 miles.  But I used that time to link and read up on the lighthouses as I was flying to them.  One of them has a beautiful pier like affair that goes down to a helipad.   Enjoy - D

PS ... keep "after" me on the heli things.  I should have thought about the start point. If I forget something like that, let me know right away and I can fix it. I just don't "think heli" like I should.

Update: Fixed it, added (in the briefing text) the lat/lon for a heli start ... dry land!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:22:08 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
Thanks Doug!!!! ;)Great!
....just decided, this will be my coming weekend`s tour!!
The nice thing is that I thought of doing a lighthouse trip since some time, but after some time I lost track of really doing. Now, You bring it back into my Mind!! 8)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
Doug,
when your fixing the starting point I trust you are adding a starting point such as lighthouse helopad or similar.  I would not recommend altering the default starting point if it is different.  Water starts are OK just need to check and have a capable aircraft.  I downloaded a float equipped helo for such flights.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
Dispatch #007  Metlakatla to Kincolith

This dispatch assumes bad weather and a low ceiling, so it can be flown easily at less than 1200 feet. It gets a little difficult leaving Humpback Cabin and getting to Pearse Island ... but that's what makes it fun. 

PS: Spud, we will not always be using an AFCAD starting point. Often only lat/long/mag (heading) will be given. The starting point on Ocean Falls is out in the water ... that doesn't do a heli guy any good if he doesn't have floats. So I started it for them on the land (no helipad) but the coordinates are clearly given for a dry heli start. Before I had used a dock mooring, that wouldn't work for a heli. The SPB start is "wet" too ... so to play it safe, I'll give the heli guys a lat/long/mag for a "dry" and "safe" start for them.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:42:12 PM by Doug »