Author Topic: The Dispatcher's Office  (Read 544167 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: The Dispatcher's Office
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
Doug,
makes sense to me.  I was concerned for those places that do have starting points (Mike Mann's lighthouses come to mind) at least he has flights starting at his light houses.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »
I keep forgetting about the heli guys ... darn I had them starting off in the water on 006. I'm trying to make sure there are floating pads or concrete ones, or at least something flat for them.  But since I don't ... uh can't fly the darned things I don't think about then like I should.  So everyone needs to stay "after" me to remember those things. We won't please 'em all ... but we'll please most of 'em!!!

D

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »
All that my Littlebird or the 412 needs is a piece of dry land..and I can bring this Whirlys up into Air.. ;)
So if you can offer a starting point out of the water my littlebird is more than happy..he doesn´t like getting wet feet ...sorry...skids ;D. Thank you, Doug.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

archangel1

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »
...since I don't ... uh can't fly the darned things...

Same here, at least not yet, although I do remember autorotating a heli to a safe landing in a combat sim many years ago!

This may help us tyros, though.  PC Pilot's July/August issue has the first part (5 pages) of what looks to be a short tutorial series on flying helicopters.  Only problem is, since it's a bimonthly mag, it's going to take a while to get anywhere!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Doug

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
Dispatch #008  Parts Run Between Totem Bight and Fleet Bay Parts Dock

Here's one that Foggy Bottom suggested to us ... so this is his story line.  I added a couple of stops along the way to make it a little less "water' flying and so you'd have to put on your thinking caps a little! :-).  This is an easy flight, but it can get tricky down in the Klinkwan Fish Camp area ... not a lot of landmarks so you'll have to pay attention.  Thanks "Foggy" ...

D

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

foggy-bottom

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
#8 looks good Doug - not exactly as I planned, but I like the additional routing through Klinkwan and Hunter Bay.

I'll put together a "short Mail run" trip Sunday morning - Cub on floats or amphib required.  I have the Flight Replica Super Cub pack, but a "small" Cessna on floats would be a good alternate platform.
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

Doug

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
Dispatch #009 - The Pacific Communities of Tongass Fjords

Looking outside our area to the north, experimentally.  What's up there, what's it look like, how are the flying times and facilities?  Well, if you have the Tongass Fjords package, here's a "route" for your to do some exploring in that direction if you have not already.  For the history buffs among us, I've included the best "histories" I could find (I'm not sure Port Alice exists!).  These are easy flights ... mostly water but not long in duration, one is 32 miles ... the rest are 10 - 15 miles and sometimes less. You can look at this online at Misty's Place/Dispatcher's Office/Dispatch #009.  If you have not looked at this area, here is a way to get a "feel" for it.

PS:  If you don't have Tongass Fjords, you can get it discounted to RTMM members from the FRIENDS page at RTMM.

D

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:30:12 PM by Doug »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
Dispatch #009 - The Atlantic Communities of Tongass Fjords

Is this right?  Atlantic?  Not Pacific?

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 06:40:17 PM »
Dispatch #009 - The Atlantic Communities of Tongass Fjords

Is this right?  Atlantic?  Not Pacific?

AWWW! He was just looking out of the other side of the plane.  Port Alice, BC is a real community by it is on northern Vancouver Island according to Google.   :P

Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
Yeah, got it.  Thank heavens for "psd" files and "elements" ... about a 2 second repair job there.  That is a "fun" trip to fly ... I'm sort of amazed at some of the detail the developers put into the little sceneries. Some of them are small and simple, but some are actually complex.  That is beautiful country up that way ... much different than the BC area I've spent so much time in lately.  My next one is going to be the "Inland Communities of Tongass Fjords" ... so that will cover the more inland airports. If we ever decide to expand "north" ... then these are excellent "survey" flights to get a feel for the size of the project, etc.  Anyway, a little different to fly.  Easy navigation-wise ... everything is a "direct heading" ... and you can fly low if you like. 

Thanks Jeff ...

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
 ;)  I love the stuff you are cranking out.  Great job.  I can't keep up with checking them all out.  It'll give me something to do this fall.  Flying all the dispatches. 

ps - check the spelling of "Tongas" on the map graphic.  Should it be "Tongass"?  (Am I being too nit-picky?  Sorry.) ::)

Port Alice, BC is a real community by it is on northern Vancouver Island according to Google.
They must've liked it so much, they moved it up here.  Thanks for the info, Spud.  It's funny that it's misplaced in FSX. 

edit - I found (with Google) that there is also a Port Alice, Alaska.  On Heceta Island, in the Prince of Wales Island group.  The Port Alice in BC, on Vancouver Island, has a seaplane base and a population of around 850 people.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:39:50 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
Nope ... PICKY IS GOOD ... we want them right.  I'll go to work on it.  One thing I'm finding about the Tongass area ... EVERYTHING is named up there in FSDiscover!  Every little pass and island.  Down in BC, there is NOTHING in that database, I've had to add over 300 entries just for the places we fly down there. This is like "power steering" to look out the window and see it all done!  Keep watching Jeff ... if you see anything else, let me know.

Update ... ok fixed it Jeff.

This "ribbon" works pretty well when you get used to it. I've got Pandora Radio open in the browser and my Kindle book I'm reading. On a long flight, I can pull it out and read while I'm listening to music. One day I'm going to "fry" this new computer! :-)

D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:43:07 PM by Doug »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
Fantastic stuff Doug. So happy the "Riverscaping" and "Dispatch" ideas are giving you some well deserved credit. You add so much to RTMM and it wouldn't be possible without your contributions. First just behind the scenes and now fully in the "Spotlight"

Proud to be your partner.

Brad

foggy-bottom

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
Doug,  #9 is a "biggy" - what would you recommend?  C-130 on Floats???  8)

By contrast, here is a "dinky" little Postal Service run out of Misty's/PAKX.

I used the Flight Replica Super Cub (IFR) which has an optional Baggage Pod fitted under the cockpit area - I keep mine as a permanent fit.  Fuel at start was 120lbs.

Route:

Misty's Dock to

PAKX - Collect Mail deliveries - approx 160lbs; I strap some into the rear seat! 

Head to, for drop-off/pick-up:

13Z - Loring
KBE - Bell Island Hot Spring
84K - Meyer's Chuck

Return DCT PAKX to drop-off collections, then...

Transit-RTB to Misty's with any deliveries that may be waiting at PAKX.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:33:26 PM by Doug »
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

Doug

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
You know, I thought 9 was a biggie too. But it's not nearly as big as I thought ... the lighthouses are longer.  I'm amazed at the little communities they've put in.  I am thinking of contacting a real estate agent in Port Protection  ... what a beautiful little place that is!

I'll take a look at the mail run ... thanks for sending it in.

D