Author Topic: FSX Crashes  (Read 14112 times)

Jezz006

FSX Crashes
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:04:02 AM »
Greetings All,

I have a general problem with FSX crashing and my system rebooting.
It doesn't seem to be scenery related as flights over the same areas sometimes continue on OK.
The Missions in FSX seem to be the most sensitive to this issue especially when changing views, but it can happen at any time which is very frustrating.

I wondered if anyone had a thorough checklist of how to go about solving this problem.
I've tried running FSX in Windows XP compatability mode,turning off my Anti-virus, but tracking down the cause/s has so far been elusive.

Any Suggestions  :-\
Jezz006
P3D4 on Windows 10 Home 64Bit
Intel Core i7 8700K
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP! Edition, 11GB Graphics
16 GB of Ram on Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G
1TB SSD Drive

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: FSX Crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »
I hope you get a lot of responses on this ... I think many people have similar problems ... it is a complex program and we take it's "simplicity" for granted.  One place to start.  Grab one of the "gadgets" for your desktop that tracks/graps CUP/RAM usage. They are free.  You can get it to stay on top and it is very small.  Keep an eye on it. When mine is about to crash, that graph literally scrambles ... I'm getting clobbered on RAM (and I've got plenty). When I bring PhotoShop Elements on line, I immediately crash with "Framework".  But looking at the gadget, it is scrambled.  So I'm tracking my problem to too much going on. There's a program that shuts down all non-essential programs when you are running FSX ... I'm heading that way next.  But that is one thing to check.

Second, sometimes you can get a duplicate bgl that can be a real problem.  There is a "duplicate bgl" finder out there (google it).  I had two PANT airport bgl's for some reason ... used that to find it, solved the problem.

I'm betting the other folks are having a problem or have solved one ... this is a good thread that we should keep up for folks.  We're not here to solve Microsoft's problems, we are "RTMM" ... but darn, we all have these problems too.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »
Lots of good stuff here:

http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/

will locate duplicate bgl files.  In FS9 they were called AFCADS, same thing just different names.  Be aware that everything it may list might not be a real duplicate.  Do NOT delete anything just find the file it points out and change the extension to something like .ORG or .OLD.  That will disable the file and then you can check that it did what you expected and not muck up the sim permanently.  If there is a problem just rename the extension back to what it was and no harm done.

8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »
If it's a ram/cpu usage issue, here's something you can find at AVSIM.  I haven't tried it but am tempted to just to see how it works.

============================================================
FSAutoStart
Version 1.1 (Build 11)
Written by Ken Salter

Description:

FSAutoStart allows the user the ability to automatically shutdown services and programs to provide as much resources to running today’s most demanding applications.  It also provides the ability to launch selected programs before the application is launched.  Lastly, it can automatically restart those programs and services previously shutdown, thus bringing the computer back to its original state.  It also adds some performance enhancing options like Defragment Memory.

I am happy to provide this software as FREEWARE!  If you wish, you can donate by using the Donate menu item.  This option will open a browser window connecting to Paypal.com.  Give as much or as little as you want.  Your support is appreciated!

For further information, please contact Ken Salter via email ksalter@avsim.com.

======================================================

That's the readme for it.

D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:48:03 PM by Doug »

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »
I've used this with great results.  It's at www.flusifix.de

Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Jezz006

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:32:11 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far  :)

I ran Duplicate File Finder and noticed that I've managed to install the CeyX Object Files in two locations [please see attatched photo].
Is this OK or should I delete one of the sets, and if so, Which one?

I've also installed the gadgets to monitor the CPU,GPU and Ram and will try them out tonight.
My gut instinct is that this is where the problem lies.

By the way whoever reccomended REX and FSDiscover, my hat has been doffed many times in appreciation.
It makes the whole scenery so much more interesting and photogenic.Many Thanks  8)

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

Jezz006

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:32:18 AM »
On checking the CPU Usage it's interesting that only half the cores are running flat out [1.3.5.7] whilst the others [2.4.6.8] are very lightly used.
The RAM is at around 70% used of 6GB, whilst on the graphics card only 2% of the avalilable RAM is being used!
Is there any way of tweaking this in FSX or is it something that needs to be done in Windows 7 or through the Hardwares setup software?  ???

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

foggy-bottom

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 09:12:34 AM »
Jezz,  Do you have lots of "old" flight plans, saved flights, etc., in <C:\Documents and Settings\your folder\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files>, or wherever these files sit in your 'puter?  Are some associated with aircraft that have been un-installed? If so, you need to clean those out.  Also, if you "log" your flights with something other than the FSX internal <Logbook.BIN> - same folder - back it up first then delete it.  FSX will generate a new one on the next start.

The usual maintenance tasks, e.g., registry cleaning, de-fragging the drives, cleaning out all the "temp" files and interweb caches, etc., will also help.
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

Doug

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
Rob .. I just put Flusifix in ... interesting.  Does this help with CPU/RAM anywhere in the program? Just curious. Sure does some interesting things.

D

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »
Doug,
 Not sure on that specific.   I had to reinstall FSX (elevation problems in the sim) and haven't used Flusifix yet.  Right now I have a plain vanilla fsx.cfg and am getting good frame rates.  I'll save my original (backup) and use it again.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Jezz006

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. :D

I've installed Flusifix and on going back to the original FSX.cfg noticed an immediate improvement in startup times and reliability.

As for old flight plans I have 260 files in the folder but no uninstalled aircraft that I remember,but placed 234 Tongass Flight files in a seperate folfer to see if that makes any difference.

The folks at EVGA tell me that FSX cannot make use of the 2GB of RAM on my videocard and Im still trying to discover why only half the cores on the CPU are firing during flight.

Any suggestions on the duplicate file situation as to which files ,if any, are safe to delete?

Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
Might just be my system Jezz but the screen shot is too blurry to read even when expanded.   Could you resend another screenie so we can see the names of the files?
 8)
Later,

Spud

Jezz006

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
Hi Spud,

Thanks for you reply and sorry for the fuzziness of the picture.
Basically the files were in both  FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery and in FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery.

I've just received a reply from Xavier kindly explaining the correct way to add his files and have deleted the FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery entries and created a seperate folder in FSX/Addon Scenery for his files so that I can easily update them when the library itself is updated.

He also pointed out that this folder should always be kept above all other Misty Mooring sceneries.

Cheers
Jezz006
Intel Core i7 8700K
1TB SSD Drive

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
Glad you have it sorted out now.  The RTMM scenery is such a great addition to the PFJ area that to not have it would be a shame indeed.  Xavier was over the top to help because he is presently on vacation.  Just shows the caliber of people here IMHO.  Thanks Xavier and the rest of the gang as well.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Reggy

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 03:25:08 AM »
Quote from Jezz006
 "On checking the CPU Usage it's interesting that only half the cores are running flat out [1.3.5.7] whilst the others [2.4.6.8] are very lightly used."

Hi Jezz,

Your cpu being a quad core the second four cores are virtual and to the best of my knowledge Fsx can only make use of the real ones. Any activity you see on the virtual cores is from other programs such as Windows but apart from taking up this load they are of no benefit to FSX.

This is as I understand it, if I can find a forum tread to confirm I will repost or if anyone here knows different please reply.

Cheers, Reggy :)
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).