Author Topic: What Apps/Tools are used for MSFS Scenery?  (Read 1353 times)

kronovan

What Apps/Tools are used for MSFS Scenery?
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:24:53 PM »
I've browsed through some of the webpages in the Designer Corner's section and noted that for FSX and P3D, an app called SBuilderX seems to be the goto tool.
I'm wondering what apps/tools are now used for MSFS?

MSFS is now the only fixed-wing GA flightsim I fly, having recently retired/uninstalled FSX-SE and now only using X-Plane 11 for helos. I'm interested in trying to build 1 of the seaplane bases in Southern BC which MSFS still omitted after the Canada content update. I'm wondering though, whether whatever defacto tool is used for MSFS is beyond my skill set? For FSX-SE I've only ever dabbled with the freebie Airport Design Editor. On the other hand, I've had a lot of experience building 2D maps for tabletop and Virtual TableTop using someting called Campaign Cartographer 3+. CC3+ is really just a more user friendly GUI slapped on top of an app called FastCAD. So it's really a CAD tool and many of the building maps I make feature elevations with an individul map for each floor.  So I've become able to think in 3D even if I'm only building 2D maps. Being less than novice with FS scenery, I'm not sure if that experience is applicable or helpful towards MSFS secenery building?

So I guess I'm asking; what should I consider for an app/tool and any resources (docs, websites, youtubes, etc.) that might help me get started?

I'm willing to spend  some $ towards a good tool, as long as it isn't as expensive as something like 3D Studio Max.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:13:04 PM by kronovan »

Airtrooper

Re: What's Apps/Tools are used for MSFS Scenery?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »
Blender and the SDK will get you a very long way, if you just wish to create scenery. QGIS may also be handy, depending on what you're doing.

FSdeveloper.com is still a good place to go for help, advice and to some extent tutorials.

Andy

kronovan

Re: What Apps/Tools are used for MSFS Scenery?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 05:12:48 PM »
Many thanks for the info Airtrooper.
I've had Blender installed on my PC from time to time and have dabbled with it a bit, but I'd be novice at best. I was mostly looking at it to make Strike Fighter 2 aircraft, but IIRC that combatsim requires everything to be imported in 3DMax format and I could never figure out how to convert. QGIS I'm also familiar with and dabbled enough with it in the past to determine it's a decent tool. I worked for a few years in GIS decades ago, but it was GeoVision and KanoCAD I used and almost entirely urban-cadastral. So not much experience with rural geography.

I'll redownload those apps and take a look at them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:14:24 PM by kronovan »

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 10:06:34 AM »
I use the Asobo SDK for object placement. It works pretty well but is complicated with its strange filing structure. Once you get the "pattern" for it, it works well.  They tend to "play" with polygons, etc so often you have to go back and fix things that they "fix".

For my modeling, I'm using Sketchup (free).  Look for the free 2017 version. It has all I need for simple objects like lighthouses, etc.

For model conversion, I'm using MCX (Model Conversion) program. This helps you put the 3D model from Sketchup into the sim's library. Also, it is used to give you hard surfaces (for helicopters) and special textures for lighting, etc.

All of RTMM is made with these except any done by Kevin (Snettisham). He uses different processes.

kronovan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 12:26:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply Doug. I haven't been able to check back on this forum and thread for a few days, but I really appreciate the advice. And I very much appreciate all the terrific scenery you've created for RTMM!

...For my modeling, I'm using Sketchup (free).  Look for the free 2017 version. It has all I need for simple objects like lighthouses, etc...

I must have looked at Sketchup at sometime, because I noticed that I have an account for their website in my password vault. I went to the site and with a little effort was able to cobble a simple building together with varying textures. The tools seem familiar, or similar, but I'm not quite sure with which graphics app.

On the topic of textures; is there a common source that you and other RTMM secenery makers use?
Textures are a real make-it-or-break-it factor in the CC3+ 2D maps I make. I've at times scoured the Internet for just the right texture and have even gotten some via graphic dumps from video games. I believe I've seen consistency among yours and other RTMM scenery makers works, so I'm wondering if theres a common source?

I did isntall the Asobo-MSFS SDK and doc, so I've got some reading ahead of me.   :)

Kallewy

• my homepage
Greetings from me, Kalle

kronovan

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the link Kellewy - downloading those tutorials as I type.   ;)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 08:57:59 PM »
Textures are still a bit of a mystery for me. You can actually "import almost any texture you can see, I've done it but like all "new" things, tedious the first few times.  What I do not yet understand at all is "shiny" and how to make thing give off reflections. But alas, with things like cabins and lighthouses I don't have to worry about that.  I wish some folks would come up with some more animated animals, bears, elk, deer ... the things we see in Alaska.  The giraffe is pretty neat, but one walking through the snow in the Chugach just doesn't seem proper! :-)