Author Topic: sound bgl problems  (Read 4999 times)

Daredevil Dave

sound bgl problems
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »
All of RTMM is amazing and I thank ALL of the dedicated flight simmers that haver brought it to life. I have had zero problems with any of the downloads until recently. Any time I fly within about 8 miles of Brad's Skenna River or Iggy's harbor I get a fatal error and FSX stops dead. After a process of elimination I've determined that the problem lies in the sound bgl files for these 2 sceneries. If I deleate them all is fine except no sound of course. No othert scenery, including The Landings reacts this way. Does anyone have a clue???

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: sound bgl problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Hi,
I didn`t install the sound file for Brad`s BBQ Skeena River so far. But I can hear sounds there (birds).......but as I said I`m sure I didn`t install the sound file.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Dexthom

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
Dave, the only thing that the two locations have in common is they both have music.  There are two seperate files for Brads, one for the sound and a separate one for music.  Iggys has everything in one file.  Did you
disable both files at Brads?  Anyone else having a problem?

Daredevil Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
I deleated both files from Brad's BBQ. I will try to determine which one creates my problem.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
Be sure and check that the various sound files are placed where they are supposed to be.  Example for Iggy's harbor.
There are seven .wav and seven .fx files and one .bgl file.  The iggysHarbor_Sound-FSX.bgl file file is placed into the scenery sub-folder of the Iggy's Harbor Folder along with the  iggys_harbor.bgl.

The 7 .wav files all go into the Sound folder of FSX and the 7 .fx files are placed into the FSX Effects folder.  The problem I have quite often is something I call "cursor bounce" for lack of a better name.  I will highlight the files I want to move and click and hold the mouse button drag the files onto the proper folder and either move or copy the files.  Usually this works fine but on occasion for some unknown reason the files will be placed in a folder other than the one I highlighted.  Usually the folder directly below the one I selected.  Might just be my mouse but it happens often enough that I always double check that the file were placed properly.  It is not from moving the mouse as I am very careful to hold it steady and I have  not yet developed palsy!  Recheck that the files were actually placed in the proper folders.
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
I just re-downloaded the two scenery and sound files in question and noticed that there are a couple of things just a bit different in both of the areas.
Brads BBQ files:
brads_skeena_river.zip contains the scenery files and unfortunately there is an extra folder included.  It is named notes and should be deleted before you copy the main Brads Skeena River folder to your FSX.

Besides that the two .bgl files for sounds, 1) music and 2) sounds are already in the scenery sub-folder of the Brads Skeena River scenery no need to copy them from the BradsBBQ_FSX.zip folder.  This is why you hear birds without installing the sounds.

For Iggy's Harbor sounds the download contains two separate .zip file within the download.  You have to unzip the iggysharborsoundsandtrafficfiles.zip then uzip the first included zip file, IggysHarbor_Sound_FSX.zip and install it according to instructions.  After that unzip the second included zip file, trafficIggysHarbor.zip and install that according to its read me file.

I will alert Doug about the extra folder in the Brads Skeena River.zip.

I hope all this makes sense and will help you sort your problems out.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Daredevil Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the help Spud.
I reinstalled the Brad's BBQ sound bgl from my trash can and landed at Brad's with no problem. Then I reinstalled the music bgl in the same manner and landed at Brad's with no problem. Then I reinstalled Iggy's sound  bgl and the system froze about 8-10 miles out. Then deleated it again and landed with no problem. So... for what ever reason Brad's sound seems to be fixed but Iggy's  isn't. I will check and be sure all the files are where they belong.

DDD (Daredevil Dave)

Dexthom

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
Dave, Try the attached file.  Overwrite your old Iggy's sound file with this one.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Daredevil Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
Dexthom,

Your file did the trick. Iggy's now has sound and I can land there without FSX crashing. It is my sincere hope that my problem created a learning situation for all. Thank you for your help.

DDD

Spud,

Thanks for your help also.

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »
... unfortunately there is an extra folder included.  It is named notes and should be deleted before you copy the main Brads Skeena River folder to your FSX.
The _notes folder is something created by dreamweaver when importing files and transferring.   

Typically, it shouldn't be created in a zip file, but I can see how it could happen.

However, it shoudln't cause issues, as it is not a harmful file and only contains design notes information regarding the files used in adobe products.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7eefa.html

Dexthom

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »
Dave, I am curious, how much RAM do you have on your machine?  Depending on what is running on you
machine along with FSX, you could have run low with that big music.wav file in there.

Daredevil Dave

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
Dexthom,
Attached file should answer all your questions about my system.

DDD

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Dexthom

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
Dave, thanks for the response.  Looking at the specs of your system I don't see why a 1 meg wav file would give you a problem.
If that solved your problem, good for you.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:03:14 AM by Dexthom »