Author Topic: Got my new ride: CARIBOU!  (Read 1263 times)

rallymodeller

• MFC1057: CYZR represent!
Got my new ride: CARIBOU!
« on: February 23, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »
The Orbx Caribou is out! And it comes with Wardair paint! Woohoo!

Other schemes: factory civilian demonstrator, a couple of colourful fictional civilian schemes, and Australian camo, US Army and Canadian UN on the military side.

Pros:
  • Flies beautifully: maneuverable but still has a heavy feel, STOL is as advertised, has working reversing props
  • The model: superb, inside and out. The cockpit has a great worn-in feel, and looks outstanding.
  • It's cheap: falls in line with the other Local Legends, I paid $18.99 Canuckistan for mine.

Cons:
  • No manual that I can find. The cockpit is pretty straightforward for those with experience in multiengine radials like the DC-3, but it would be nice. I do have the factory manuals and POH but I'd like the ORBX one
  • The stock liveries are all generic, in that they look like the prototype, but have no logos or roundels. Might have to do something about that.
  • No autopilot, not even a wing-leveler, which is odd considering the completeness of the avionics system (incl. Asobo GNS430 on the centre console)

All in all I give it a thumbs up. Going to do a tour with it (Aleutians) and see how I feel about it once I've spent a few hours in the left seat.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:24:21 AM by rallymodeller »
"Clouds may look like fluffy cotton candy, but they often contain a crunchy centre"

xxd09

Re: Got my new ride: CARIBOU!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 04:17:34 AM »
Great fun to fly -working ramp-good valve for money
xxd09

Dieter

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 11:08:49 AM »
Some remarks on the DHC-4:

There is an auxiliary autopilot available:
https://de.flightsim.to/file/50843/microsoft-local-legends-dhc-4-caribou-autopilot-addon
Please note the short description - only works with an additional own panel like GTN750.

I experience a small problem in the settings of center of gravity - as soon as you make changes, the red warning signal "out of center of gravity" appears. This also happens if you set all values to zero.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

rallymodeller

• MFC1057: CYZR represent!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 05:24:58 PM »
I got the AP addon, and it works well. You have to use the keyboard commands, but otherwise no issue.

As for the CG, you have to nail it between 34.75% and 35.75% MAC. I'd call that a glitch considering the real aircraft was okay with loads between 31% and 37% MAC depending on fuel load. Doesn't seem to affect the handling much, though.
"Clouds may look like fluffy cotton candy, but they often contain a crunchy centre"

kaha

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:54:53 AM »
Interesting! How does the AP work? I mean, one could change the relevant .cfg files for that, but the aircraft is encrypted, isn't it?

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020