Author Topic: Helicopter Scenery Improvements for RTMM  (Read 2813 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Helicopter Scenery Improvements for RTMM
« on: February 21, 2023, 03:40:50 PM »
As I'm flying the helicopters, I'm making the scenery locations more "heli-friendly, moving light poles, trees, etc.  I had a difficult time seeing the helicopter landing area for Sentinel Light. So I made a new "helipad logo" an H with a circle around it, one yellow, one white. I added that to Sentinel Light, now you can quickly decipher where to land. While I was at it, I made a new lighthouse object for Sentinel that matches the real one. It has lighted windows.  This will come out with the next Express Update.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Helicopter Scenery Improvements for RTMM
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 08:01:49 AM »
Nice work!

Rod

Doug

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 11:56:21 AM »
Here is the latest new "object" ... Cape Hitchenbrook lighthouse. This will be available in the next Express Update.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 02:57:06 PM »
Very cool!

Rod

Doug

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 06:13:06 PM »
Here is Boat Bluff Lighthouse BBLS - This one was a difficult one. The 4 "house" objects are all new, created just for this location. You can go inside them and look out, etc. Getting the terrain stable for the walkways was the most difficult part. Multiple terraform polygons caused the walkway to separate. It is now stable.  This one is pretty at night. I used the new EDHK spotlights for the walkway at night.  This one will come out with the next Express Update it will be version 3.4 for the BC Lighthouses.

Update: I added posts to the walkway to make it look safer, added people at the helipad, and moved the fireplace in the top house to look better if inside the house. Added more spotlights from buildings. The third pic is the "final".

Update: the original location simply "blew up" all of the walkways exploded to different levels. I redid the entire location ... the new pic below depicts what it looks like now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:23:36 PM by Doug »

Penzoil3

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 10:32:00 AM »
 8) Wow, great job. Looking forward to these.

Doug

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 11:22:33 AM »
This one will be fun for heli people. It is a "tight" landing area and fun to fly over the location as you "walk it in". This one took about 3 days, rather difficult because when I would fix the terrain, it would shift after I made modifications, and the walkway was always broken. Finally, I got a stable "platform" and it all started working. The building objects in this one are all new.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 06:17:41 PM »
Looks great!

Rod

Doug

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 09:00:11 PM »
Brockton  Point Lighthouse is Finished ... this added 4 new objects, a stone pillar (fencing around the point), and a black railing. (Red and White Railings were also made for use later). The lighthouse is almost an exact replica. The major feature of this site (besides the lighthouse) are the pillars and railings that surround the end of the peninsula. These were individually added but made a big difference in the authenticity of the location.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 11:28:41 AM by Doug »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 09:10:34 AM »
Looks good!

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 03:35:43 PM »
Very nice Doug! (Now I'll never be able to land my helo on such a small spot!!)
Perhaps, if you created a football field sized pad with a big "H" on it"?

Just maybe I could land close to that?   lol
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 03:37:31 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doug

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 09:03:21 PM »
Here is Cape Mudge. The lighthouse was a "compilation" of objects. This is a new lighthouse object that depicts the real lighthouse. Also, the new red/white buildings are working out nicely. In Canada, it seems most of the lighthouse structures are red and white.  I added paths and a rocky shoreline. Also, brown grass covers this part of the area.

Norm ... I'm landing the 135 on a dime. I think that one (so far) is the easiest one to fly. I gave up on the 145 and wish I hadn't spent the $40 on it.  I'm really enjoying the helicopters. And on each of these lighthouses, especially the "tight" ones ... I'm actually flying them and making sure I can land ok. I'll just keep plodding through the lighthouses. Some of them are passable, but others need real help. SketchUp is getting a lot easier and I learn more tricks with each object. Fun stuff.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 08:58:39 PM »
Here is Cape Beale. I almost just barely fixed this one, but the lighthouse was so unique I had to try to replicate it, so it took a whole day to make the lighthouse and put in the new red/white buildings for Cape Beale Lighthouse. I did some more work on the dock area and built two 'walkways' used throughout many of the lighthouse locations. We were using the wooden pier object, but it never looked right, with no railing.  I have made walkway objects that we will use in several locations that have these.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 03:20:20 PM by Doug »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 08:38:47 AM »
Great looking pics, Doug!

Rod

Doug

Re: Lighjthouse and Helicopter Scenery Improvements for RTMM
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2023, 07:39:29 PM »
Cape Scott Lighthouse - this was an interesting one to do, with a relatively different "shape" and feel to it. It is actually a steel tower-like structure. I put in our red/white buildings to replace the "saba" buildings.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 02:20:53 PM by Doug »