Author Topic: CTD when attempting to take off from RTMM sites/ scenery MSFS2020  (Read 1891 times)

baxterbj

This is a very unusual problem.
If i take off from a non RTMM Waterway or airport, using the Cessna amphibian or Beaver with RTMM skins all is okay, I can then fly too, and land at Misty Moorings sites.
If I try and take off from Misty Moorings or any of the sites, Loring etc, using the Cessna amphibian or Beaver with RTMM skins, I get an immediate CTD.
I have used RTMM for years, I had it working great until a couple of days ago, the only change I made was adding the new skins, deleting the old ones and using those that haven't been changed yet.
I completely uninstalled all of RTMM (I had downloaded individually), downloaded and installed the one step version.
Yet I'm still encountering the same CTD.
Any advice Guys?
It might be something not associated with RTMM in Addon Linker as I combine ALASKAN scenery and RTMM, and just fly that without any other scenery.

Hope this make sense.
Regards Brian
BJ from Oz

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: CTD when attempting to take off from RTMM sites/ scenery MSFS2020
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:59:51 PM »
Well Brian, what to say... yes very unusual.. something is definitely wrong! And it's not the scenery or the aircraft. (I ran a did a quick test out of Loring.. since you specifically named that spb in an effort to replicate your issue but could not. But I can definitely tell you that the weather is very ugly at Loring today but our C172 Classic amph and Beaver amph handled it just fine!)

Would suggest..  Before doing anything else do any updates then clean windows stuff and clean the sim.

Updates
Check for Windows updates and do them.
Go to the MS Store and check for updates.. Get them all if there is any.
(Xbox app get updated faster in the store and MSFS relys on the XBOX App for cloud syncing etc).

Also check if there is a GPU update and do that if your system is not current.

Ok now to the sim itself:

MSFS Store Version vs MSFS Steam version have slightly difference paths (referenced here are the store paths).

1. Un-link all your linker add-ons (all scenery/simobjects etc OFF). (clear the community folder)

2. Delete folders:
... \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes

3. Delete files:
.. AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\content.xml (If it exists). (*ONLY delete if you have not purposefully used the content.xml file for special priority setups)

.. AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\ROLLINGCACHE.CCC

If you don't have/use a ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file, then the sim is using an 'AUTO" cache. Go to Settings in MSFS >> Data and create a manual cache: (which creates a ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file. Make it Size > (8 Gb).. This transforms the sim's auto-cache that you can't control into a manual type cache file that you have access to and can delete/purge. Once ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file is created you can delete it.
(This clears any corruption in the sim's cache)
===============================================
(Both the SceneryCache folder and the ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file are re-created upon sim restart (as per the current sim content and the user's active add-ons). 

(This keeps everything up to date/current and efficiently running).

Once all the purging is done, Start up the sim. (no add-ons). (Will take a bit more time to load as it is rebuilding the scenery indexes folder and its contents and then  after the flight is selected the rollingcache.CCC file will be created/populated.
===============================================

Next, to your Linker and re-link the RTMM folder, RTMM C172sp and the RTMM Leave it to Beaver. And test.. hopefully all will good again!  Then add more and hopefully all will continue work as intended.  Hope this helps and let us know. 

Norm
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 11:06:22 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

baxterbj

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 11:06:02 PM »
Thanks Norm,

So far have loaded nothing but RTMM and it still CTD, even when I attempted to select PANT as well.
No, it's not the Liveries.
I will print off your advice and try all of what you suggested.

Thank you.
Regards Brian
BJ from Oz

baxterbj

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 02:30:03 AM »
Hi Norm,
have deleted and cleaned everything in windows and MSFS, now I can only get to the front screen to select a flight and that's where it just sits and sits and sits and sits.
Looked in Task Manager and all is active, but the flight will not boot up.
I guess I'll persist over the next few days and get there in the end.
This has occurred before, I'm sure I'll get there.

I'll let you know when I have some luck starting a flight.

Regards Brian
BJ from Oz

baxterbj

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 03:03:25 AM »
Hi Norm

Back up and running, will test over next few days and let you know?

Regards Brian

BJ from Oz

baxterbj

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 03:29:58 AM »
Norm,

First attempt at RTMM, CTD???????
Other countries work?????
Has to be clashing with some scenery i have in Alaska.
Ill separate and do more testing.

Regards Brian
BJ from Oz

kaha

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 06:21:05 AM »
Does the problem also occur if you empty the Community folder and then just put the RTMM scenes in?

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 01:04:45 PM »
Glad you're back up and running but you have an old scenery in your system that is locking up your sim.
You have to find it by isolating which one is causing the problem.

We know that RTMM stuff is fine.. so don't need to test it. Go to your other older scenery add-ons and test them in blocks of 10 until you get a block of 10 that causes you to CTD.. then you know that the problem child is in a certain block of scenery pieces.. then further isolate, then after a while you find the one, or more that are causing the CTD. And delete it (or look for an update for it).

The problem here was caused by asobo altering and changing their rules in progress. 3rd part devs sceneries wouldn't work or would cause CTD because the sdk was altered so some scenery pieces became non-compatible.   (I still find the odd piece that I link in my sim that will cause CTD or MSFS failure to load up..(Aircraft mods will do that too.)  In that case I do a restart to test the same result, then identify which scenery or mod is causing the failure.) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------

One other thing... maybe or may not be related ... but worth an easy try. When you go into the sim, make sure you change the aircraft or at least change the livery of the aircraft on the world map,  before trying to click FLY now... 

Some, (like myself) get a NULL value for the aircraft if it is not changed after the sim is loaded up. As a result after FLY now.. the sim tries to load the flight but may get hung at @40% and locks up - with the only way to get out of this condition is force-able shutdown of the sim via the task-manager).. But if the aircraft is changed of the livery of the aircraft is changed to a different livery of the same aircraft, the sim doesn't hang up.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:13:19 PM by nbrich1 »

baxterbj

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 02:22:02 AM »
Thanks Norm,

Will follow your instructions and keep trying to fix this.
Appreciate your support.

Regards Brian
BJ from Oz

baxterbj

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 06:07:41 AM »
Hi Norm,

You're not going to believe what the problem was!!!!!!
I have been using FSTRAMP for years, as soon as I turned that off and set up a flight around RTMM with Alaskan addons and all my other addons, it worked beautifully.
It seems so strange that MSFS works with FSTRAMP in all other countries of the world, but has a clash with RTMM?????
I did encounter this some years ago, but because it was never a problem before, with RTMM it was the last thing I looked at.

Ill no use Little NavMap when flying in and around RTMM.

I really appreciate your advice and assistance; I've printed them off for future reference.

Happy Flying
Thanks again!

Kind regards
Brian, BJ from Oz

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 09:44:59 AM »
Well that explains it Brian! (I used FSTramp back in the days of FSX but since then, which is several years ago. LNM has been my go to app for FP creation etc since then).

Now the reason could be that RTMM has custom ICAO's for lighthouses and cabins and special ICAO for special poi's as in the case of New Eddystone Rock but these won't be compatible with FSTramp's airports database unless you can import or scan the scenery to update it's scenery library as is done in creating the LNM scenery library or in Plan G where as FSTramp crashes the sim whereas LNM or Plan G usually won't crash, they just won't show the ICAO location until their scenery db are updated.

Anyways, glad you got it sorted. It is important to take home from this exercise that while testing the sim and/or suspected add-ons in the sim that might be causing CTD you turn everything else off so that there is no items effecting the operation of the sim or the add-on that you are testing.

Fly on sir.
Norm

baxterbj

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks again Norm.

Regards Brian

BJ from Oz