Author Topic: Location Name near Ketchikan?  (Read 1617 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Location Name near Ketchikan?
« on: July 27, 2022, 11:08:42 AM »
I've found a location that needs development (which I am doing), but I do not know the name of it or what it might be. I'm betting it is a part of the Indian Reservation. If anyone knows the name or description of this location, please let me know. it is on the south side of Annette Island as you are heading toward PAKT.  FS2020 gives a rough image of it.  Let me know if you know what it is.

Doug

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Location Name near Ketchikan?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 07:34:18 PM »
Took a bit to establish what location this actually is but after checking and cross references it appears to be
Mining location KC133*  (in section 25 on attached map) - which is part of the Annette Island Indian Reservation.   

References:
https://www.mindat.org/loc-23239.html

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/ardf/show-ardf.php?ardf_num=KC133

Location and accuracy- This occurrence, described only vaguely in early reports, is said to to be near the head of Annette Bay. The site is in section 25, T. 76 S., R. 91 E., of the Copper River Meridian. It corresponds to loc. 130 in Elliott and others (1978). The location is probably accurate within 0.5 mile.

This unknown location is Officially an "Unnamed Occurrence (ARDF - KC133), Annette Bay, Annette Island, Ketchikan Mining District, Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area, Alaska, USA"

Commodity Mined - SB = Antimony * or Sulfide of antimony.

"It has long been known that stibnite, the sulfide of antimony and the principal source of that metal, is widely distributed in Alaska," Alfred Brooks penned in a 1917 report, Antimony deposits of Alaska.Dec 23, 2020

Antimony Definition and detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimony

Antimony is a chemical element with the symbol Sb (from Latin: stibium) and atomic number 51. A lustrous gray metalloid, it is found in nature mainly as the sulfide mineral stibnite (Sb2S3). Antimony compounds have been known since ancient times and were powdered for use as medicine and cosmetics, often known by the Arabic name kohl.[5] The earliest known description of the metal in the West was written in 1540 by Vannoccio Biringuccio.

China is the largest producer of antimony and its compounds, with most production coming from the Xikuangshan Mine in Hunan. The industrial methods for refining antimony from stibnite are roasting followed by reduction with carbon, or direct reduction of stibnite with iron.

The largest applications for metallic antimony are in alloys with lead and tin, which have improved properties for solders, bullets, and plain bearings. It improves the rigidity of lead-alloy plates in lead–acid batteries. Antimony trioxide is a prominent additive for halogen-containing flame retardants. Antimony is used as a dopant* in semiconductor devices.....

(*A dopant, also called a doping agent, is a trace of impurity element that is introduced into a chemical material to alter its original electrical or optical properties. The amount of dopant necessary to cause changes is typically very low.)

So this is what that location appears to be!

Norm
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:37:58 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 12:56:07 PM »
It's definitely modeled in the sim... as seen on the satellite maps.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 04:27:07 PM »
It is "real" that's for sure. It could be part of a mining op, but the housing surprises me. Maybe this is where the people lived that worked there? Also, there are several other mines on the island, but none have this location near them. I wish we could get hold of someone up there who knows. I've written the Ketchikan chamber of commerce, etc but haven't heard anything back.