Author Topic: Don Grovestine's Airports in P3D v5?  (Read 2587 times)

gavinc

Don Grovestine's Airports in P3D v5?
« on: February 27, 2022, 03:08:26 PM »
Hi,
I'm in the process of migrating my Pacific NW install over from P3DV4 to V5.
I have most of the Misty Moorings installed and looking good, Tongass Fjords is working fine, Orbx is good and I got Victoria Plus working.

I can't get Dons airports to work in V5. Everytime I go to one of his airports and start a flight P3D gets about 5% of the way thru its startup and then hangs.
I have tried installing via a manual install and creating an addon.xml. When that didn't work I deleted everything and re-installed using his automatic installer software.

Same issue.

So far I have tried both Victoria and Campbell River with the same results.

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks
Gavin

rallymodeller

• MFC1057: CYZR represent!
Re: Don Grovestine's Airports in P3D v5?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 09:24:05 PM »
Me neither, but I didn't have any buildings or AI. I just gave up.
"Clouds may look like fluffy cotton candy, but they often contain a crunchy centre"

MTN1794

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 05:19:21 PM »
I just dropped the entire folder (Tongass Fjords X) into the P3D v5 addons folder in documents.  Everything seems to work for me.

gavinc

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
I just dropped the entire folder (Tongass Fjords X) into the P3D v5 addons folder in documents.  Everything seems to work for me.

Don didn't make Tongass Fjords, That was Holger Sandman.

Don did some wonderful airports for southern BC (Victoria, Campbell River, Comox, Nanaimo, Abbotsford, & Boundary Bay) that are great places to start exploring the PNW

I think I have found the issue - there is a texture file named illum_ApronFlood.dds that seems to be the issue. I removed it and the airports loaded fine (but with no apron lights). I converted the file to 16 bit dds (it was 32 bit) and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Gavin

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 08:52:03 PM »
 8)  I'm glad to hear that you found the issue, and a solution.  :)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

gavinc

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 04:51:48 PM »
Just a quick update,
With Don's sad passing I did a memorial flight around all his airports and noticed a couple of weird issues with buildings & airport signs out of place.

Short answer - I forgot that V5 doesn't deal with exclusions as well as previous versions so you need to remove the Orbx versions of Don's airports to avoid bleed thru.
Gavin