Author Topic: There's a new boss at Misty's Float Dock  (Read 4071 times)

rallymodeller

• MFC1057: CYZR represent!
There's a new boss at Misty's Float Dock
« on: February 06, 2022, 07:40:02 PM »
And his name is Dakota. Included in the (now freeware) AH C-47 download, the glorious XC-47C, just what you need to ferry a busload of fishermen, their families and all their stuff up to Hollis. Needs some water effects added, but nice to see this since MAAM did theirs way back when.

There will be repaints. Oh yes, there will.
"Clouds may look like fluffy cotton candy, but they often contain a crunchy centre"

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: There's a new boss at Misty's Float Dock
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 08:23:26 PM »
Sweet!

shermank

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
This requires a very loooooong takeoff distance. I am not at Misty's as I write this. So, please refresh me. Is there access to a long channel or larger body of water to get this elephant up into the air?

Sherm

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 11:22:53 AM »
This requires a very loooooong takeoff distance. I am not at Misty's as I write this. So, please refresh me. Is there access to a long channel or larger body of water to get this elephant up into the air?

Sherm

Yes, if you are at PF21 facing south towards Annette Island.  You can run right out into the bay if you need to.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:40:57 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

shermank

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 02:23:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff....and I will do my best to run out to the bay, not under it...:-)

And, if I may offer a cheap shameless plug,
www.dc3airways.net

Yes, we are a competing VA...but, if you like or love the goonies in any shape or fashion, this is a place to check out...flight plans, downloads, Multi Play...the works..

Sherm

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 02:51:50 PM »
Sorry but good luck taking off at any float plane dock or spb in a DC3! (Unless you have king size pontoons!)
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

shermank

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 04:06:10 PM »
Sorry but good luck taking off at any float plane dock or spb in a DC3! (Unless you have king size pontoons!)

Rich, the docs for the float plane point out that a lengthy distance is required to get airborne. I flew out of Misty's Place this morning with no problems after taxiing a bit out into open water...
In short, it can be done, with about 4000 feet or so to get airborne.
Sherm

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 10:02:02 PM »
Did you start from the float dock with a DC-3? OR on the Misty's PF20 runway in the DC-3. lol. (One can do it from the second scenario - from the runway using shortfield take off procedures in a DC-3.. but without pontoons you'll be drowning if you try from the float plane dock. (Or am I missing something?.. which is not too hard for me to do!!)

shermank

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 07:34:32 AM »
Did you start from the float dock with a DC-3? OR on the Misty's PF20 runway in the DC-3. lol. (One can do it from the second scenario - from the runway using shortfield take off procedures in a DC-3.. but without pontoons you'll be drowning if you try from the float plane dock. (Or am I missing something?.. which is not too hard for me to do!!)

Hi Rich, I only did a water takeoff. It did not occur to me to use the Misty strip, realizing that it would be too short for the C47 as an amphib with landing gear.  This is from Notes provided by Aero Heaven:

"You will need quite a long takeoff run. Do not expect to get off quickly! So plenty of sea-room is essential. Landings should be carried out at around 65-70 mph. Any more and you will be skipping across the water for some time.

We have left performance much as the landplane as to simulate the real one would just be cruel! Drag from those floats is immense."

While searching for a copy of the Operation Manual (so far unsucessfully), I did find this notation on the Maam.org website in re the C47 Amphibian:
"The Douglas XC-47C # 42-5671 was a 1943 prototype attempt to create a viable amphibious version of the workhorse C-47 by adding a pair of Edo 78 floats. Its flight performance, especially the takeoff, was less than spectacular, and a trial with rocket assisted takeoff proved unsatisfactory. Historical accounts vary on the number of amphibian Gooney Birds that were actually put into service, although 150 sets of floats were reportedly built for field installation. Most authorities cite five aircraft, some of which were said to have been used in the Pacific and Alaskan theaters for air-sea rescue missions."

The full Maam C47 manual does not state minimum runway length requirements, but it does say VR can be achieved once the aircraft has reached a speed of 85 KIAS. By the time she reached that point at Misty's Place, there is no doubt she would be in the woods. So, the bottom line is  that a wheels down take off is not possible from Misty's. I have not tried to land on the strip, but I suspect even short field techniques would not work well.

Sherm

Penzoil3

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 12:48:57 PM »
Looking at the OP's picture, those are king size floats.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »
Yep I guess they're so very BIG!.

rallymodeller

• MFC1057: CYZR represent!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 12:37:58 AM »
Yep I guess they're so very BIG!.

Yep, biggest ever made by EDO. I believe some Italian float planes had larger ones, but they weren't amphibious.
"Clouds may look like fluffy cotton candy, but they often contain a crunchy centre"