Author Topic: Scenery page and Waypoints Data issues  (Read 2246 times)

Gaiiden

Scenery page and Waypoints Data issues
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:40:44 AM »
I've gone and added all of RTMM to my scenery map, which I'm working on using to host *everything* payware and freeware that isn't mapped elsewhere (see this thread on the MSFS forums for details). Along the way I came across several issues I'd like to bring to the attention of the web devs for the Waypoints Data:
  • Bakewell Lake Cabin missing minus sign on lng
  • missing location of TF06 Frederick Point VOR Dock
  • Hasselborg Creek Cabin and Jim's Lake Cabin share the same coords
  • Polk Camp Dock has extra , in coords
  • John Muir Cabin defined heli only but LAND surface
  • DeBoer Lake Cabin misplaced near ketchikan
  • Swan Lake Cabin seems an outlier for USFS7 group, located far away from the rest
  • Garnet Ledge Cabin entry italicized, no heading
  • Sergief Island Cabin missing a 5 in lat
  • Tanis Mesa Cabin has . instead of , in coords
  • Chrome Island Lighthouse coords for entrance island
  • Cape Sarichef Lighthouse listed as LITE AK not LITEAK
In addition on the Scenery page LITEAC is mislabeled for LITEAK

Finally, I did a search of IDs for the USFS cabins packages on the Waypoints Data page and this is what I found:

- USFS1 27/28
- USFS3 15/14
- USFS4 10/8
- USFS5 1/0
- USFS6 12/10
- USFS7 20/20
- USFS8 9/9
- USFS9 23/23
- USFS10 5/5
- USFS11 7/8
- USFS12 24/25

first number is the results, second number is how many cabins are said to be in the package on the Scenery web page

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Scenery page and Waypoints Data issues
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:35:40 AM »
Hi and Thank you ...

I've made the corrections on the Nav page.  DeBoer Lake looks ok to me. Little NavMap shows the water runway as "in the woods" ... but there is a problem with the structure of that lake with FS2020, so the coordinates for the runway are in the lake. I'm showing it on DeBoer Lake north of Petersburg.

There will be a difference in the "counts" ... some have extra docks or helipads so that should not be a concern.  Swan Lake is an outlier, they have done some changing-around up there with the cabins/districts and perhaps their website has this incorrect, but I've gone with the website's district designation.

On some of these, the exact location of the cabin is not matching the exact location for the cabin's website. For many, I had to actually put in a lake that was totally missing. (Bakewell is the best example ... a huge lake that shows only as land). So I have to sort of guess at the shoreline contours using Google Earth, then place the cabin on the correct location of my "guessed" shoreline.  It works.  But you will find a few of these, especially on lakes are not exact.  In one case (Wilson Lake Cabin) I had to move an entire mountain that was in the way to put in the cabin.

The FS2020 Geography is actually not very good for Alaska. The "topography" update from ORBX simply put in the same numbers but made them more concise. (Garbage in, more precise garbage out). So with that mod, there is still no WHOLE LAKE at Bakewell. The exact geography for Alaska simply cannot be trusted. But for "fun" and "simulation" it works pretty well.

Again, thank you for the observations, they are much appreciated. We want to site to be as perfect as we can make it.

Doug

Gaiiden

Re: Scenery page and Waypoints Data issues
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 07:02:46 PM »
DeBoer Lake looks ok to me. Little NavMap shows the water runway as "in the woods" ... but there is a problem with the structure of that lake with FS2020, so the coordinates for the runway are in the lake. I'm showing it on DeBoer Lake north of Petersburg.
The coords in the nav table are what I was referring to sorry for not being more specific. They drop a pin right on Ketchikan harbor. The coords for the lake are 57.09384, -132.93025
Again, thank you for the observations, they are much appreciated. We want to site to be as perfect as we can make it.
Yup I'd feel the same way which is why I sent over the info. Glad I could help!