Author Topic: Lighthouses for AK by RTMM - (Doug)  (Read 3470 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Lighthouses for AK by RTMM - (Doug)
« on: November 30, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »
Hitchenbrook Lighthouse and Sarichef Lighthouse added (b1.03a)

I have started the Alaska Lighthouse set and will be putting it up as we go in "beta" format as we did with the BC lighthouses. There are 18 of these.

Note: The Cape Decision lighthouse is already completed and is a part of the Tongass Docks A package (TF01).

Cape Sarichef is in the Aleutian Islands and is 2700 miles from Lighthouse Headquarters in Ketchikan. There is an airport near PACS. I cleared the strip and added some buildings so it is usable. It has a 3600-foot length, so if you are flying a larger, wheel-based aircraft out to this remote site, you can land safely there. But there is also  CSLH seaport at the lighthouse location. There is a helipad and a small structured dock. The water around this freezes in winter.

Doug

Re: Lighthouses for AK by RTMM - (Doug)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »
Cape Spencer Lighthouse - Completed

This one took a lot of time. It started out as a low, smooth tree-covered island, which is not what it is in real life at all, it is jagged rocks and rough edges and very little vegetation. I put in a helipad but there is no structured dock (although a dock spawning point).

Doug

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 04:44:15 PM »
Cape St Elias Lighthouse - Completed

This one was fairly easy, the lighthouse is almost a duplicate of the RTMM Brandywine object. I did have to "create" Pinnacle Rock, a very unique feature of the immediate area. (30 seconds flat!). (second pic). There is a helipad and I created a beach ramp where an amphibian can taxi up onto the beach.

Update, wrapping it up, I went back in "real time" and "real weather" to see what it looked like today. I got a very nice treat to a double rainbow. (3rd Pic).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:17:13 PM by Doug »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 07:23:07 PM »
Very pretty spot Doug, nice work.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Penzoil3

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:51:12 AM »
 8)  Why is there a float plane on the helipad at Cape Spencer?

Doug

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 10:11:17 AM »
Because .... uh, because I was checking to see if anybody noticed?  No, that's not it, ... I was trying a short landing and it worked? No ...hmmm. Maybe it was because when I check out to make sure object is placed correctly on the helipad I spawn there to test it. Then took the pic because everything was working and I forgot the plane was sitting on the helipad!  :-)  Yep, that's it!  A picture "typo" Good catch, sorry about that, but nice to know people are actually checking out the pictures!  Making sure these all work is about 1/3 of the whole thing. Yesterday I fixed/reloaded Cape Spencer about 11 times before I got it right. When you make a change you have to restart the flight sim, re-set up the situation, etc. That is so darned time-consuming, but necessary to get it all correct.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:17:57 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:13:39 AM »
Eldred Rock Lighthouse - Completed

Eldred Rock is now in b1.06a.  A lot of terraforming as this was a lush green, treed island in FS2020, in real life it is nearly all solid rock except for a touch of vegetation up by the lighthouse. It has a helipad, I added a dock for the floatplanes and it is lit for low light operations.

The "low light operations" are really coming into play now for me. Because I'm set up for "real-time" ... when I load it is (now) in December and the days are short. Most of the time when it comes up, it is dark! So I have to change the time.  In January and February, having the "low light" operations working will be helpful for flying these in the DARK days.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:20:26 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »
Fairway Island Light - Completed

The old lighthouse was torn down years ago. It was replaced by an automatic flasher and is now considered a "minor light." There is no place for a structured dock as the island is surrounded by cliffs. I put the flasher in the location it shows on Google earth and placed a "maintenance" helipad right near it. There is low light for night operations. This beacon flashes green and white.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:37:04 PM by Doug »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 12:47:36 PM »
8)  Why is there a float plane on the helipad at Cape Spencer?

He is an excellent pilot!!! And he can stop that thingy on a dime.. (or in this case a helipad!)
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »
If you are using the system AI, they will take any parking.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 07:35:32 PM »
Guard Island Lighthouse - Completed

Guard Island is now done. I was looking forward to this one since it is so close to our "home". We'll fly over it often. Relatively easy to do. I put a helipad and an amphibian plane ramp on the beach. This is lit for low-light operations.

Doug

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
Lincoln Rock Light - Completed

I placed this, the first time on Lincoln Rock, which is about 1/3 mile from Lincoln Island. The old (now destroyed) lighthouse was on Lincoln Island. A "skeleton tower" replaced the old lighthouse, built on its concrete remaining foundations. There is a flat, round, sandy area where a helicopter can land for maintenance. There is no structured dock, just a mooring point for a floatplane. (I thought the light would be on the actual rock which is closer to the shipping lanes than the island. You can see in the picture, the ships come close to the Lincoln Rock (which I put in)).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:06:06 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 04:26:18 PM »
Mary Island Light - Completed

Mary Island Lighthouse is now in place and ready for operation. (Want to buy one, I think this one is for sale?) This has a rounded, sandy area behind the lighthouse for a helipad. There is a short dock in front of the lighthouse. It is lit for low-light operations.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
Nice work, Doug!

Rod

Doug

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 12:31:31 PM »
Minor Light of Alaska - Completed

This is our representation of the Minor Light of Alaska at the Cordova Rose Lodge. Most of our depictions of these are darned close (since we don't have the objects), but this one isn't close at all and is not our best representation of a site. Fixing this one is on the "to-do" list when we find the proper objects. The lighthouse is a completely unique design, I did the best I could do combining 3 lighthouse objects, but it has a small blue top, and we have nothing like it. The lodge itself is not representative at all. It is actually an all-blue building set upon a large barge that was towed there and then the lodge was built on top of it. Again, we have no blue buildings close to the configuration. So this entry is, as far as I'm concerned, a "place marker" for a much better one when we find the proper objects. It all works fine, but my apologies to the Cordova Rose Lodge owners for not giving a closer and more accurate depiction of their far-more-beautiful and nautical "inn".  You can see what the lighthouse SHOULD look like in the Friends of the Lighthouse link HERE. And the beautiful Cordova Rose Lodge is HERE
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 12:37:18 PM by Doug »