Author Topic: Setting insertion point in Orbx Central  (Read 1987 times)

williamb

Setting insertion point in Orbx Central
« on: September 29, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »

I just setup FSXSE following the instructions in the extracted Master FSX, FSXSE, ......... file.  After renumbering the entries a scenery.cfg file was created with 447 entries.  After copying the new scenery.cfg into FSXSE, I tried to set the lower insertion point in Orbx Central.  The drop down menu in the insertion point for Orbx Global openLC would not allow me to reach Tongass Fiords and set it as the insertion point. I ran FSX anyway and to my surprise the layering that resulted in the scenery library was in the correct order. 

Today my Orbx Central was updated to v4.1.40.  The scenery config file in the program is now being reordered by Orbx Central resulting in incorrect layering.  I queried Orbx Central forum and they told me the drop menu was not supposed to show all the entries in the scenery.cfg file.  They also could not offer a way that I could put the Tongass Fiords as the insertion point. 

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Bill

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Setting insertion point in Orbx Central
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 08:50:11 PM »
I think we had this issue once before Bill. As I recall it was the virus scanner interfering with Orbx Central.
So turn off virus scanner. Reinstall Orbx Central 4 again.
(Add an exception in your virus scanner to exclude the Orbx Central folder.

Run Orbx Central as administrator, then set up the insertion points.. when done - go to the help tab and sync "twice". Hopefully that will lock it in: When done, check your scenery.cfg to confirm.
(Turn virus scanner back on). 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:05:16 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

williamb

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 03:34:26 AM »
Thanks Norm,

I did as you suggested and Orbx Centrals insertion point drop down menu would only descend about 8 areas as before not allowing the selection of Tongass Fiords as the insertion point.

I deleted Orbx Central and ran FSXSE with the scenery.cfg file I created.  The scenery areas were correctly layered in the scenery library.  Several scenery areas were not found but that is not a problem compared to only having the 1st eight scenery areas available to select.  May have to go back to Orbx even though they could not solve the problem the last time??

Bill

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
Something is definitely messed up. Might want to check and see if all of the actual scenery files/folder are present in your default FSXSE installation: appears like the default install of FSXSE could be missing many of the scenery folder/file components which might explain why your scenery.cfg can't find them and Orbx Central can't see them.

At this point I would be leaning to a reinstall of FSXSE. The default install has to be correct and intact before the rest can be setup/fixed up. (At this stage, Orbx wouldn't be able to suggest anything except a reinstall of the sim but we can take it offline and I'll give you a hand).

More later.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 07:17:00 AM by nbrich1 »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 07:43:41 AM »
Well saw you in the MFC air so hopefully things are ok?

williamb

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
The Sim is flying fine.  I set up a four area scenery.cfg-1st 2 RTMM and the Tongass Fiord areas.  With only four scenery areas the drop down menu allowed me to place Tongass Fiords in the lower insertion point.  I then placed the Scenery.cfg created using the Master Scenery Package in the Sim.  It worked but layering is still not quite correct.  Sim cannot find 4 scenery areas one of which is Tongass Fiords.  I checked the unfound areas and all are present.

As you say fixing these issues may require reinstalling FSXSE.  I can see where installing scenery's in a clean install of FSXSE is a better way.

In the mean time I am going to keep flying.

Thanks

Bill

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
Ok Bill. See Pm.

williamb

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 10:35:52 PM »
Norm,

I worked on the Scenery.CFG file: rearranged Orbx Open LC's, airports, Tongass Fiords, and renumbered.  Layering looks good and unless Orbx Central screws it up I think we are good to go.

Thanks

Bill

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 07:20:25 AM »
Ok, sounds good Bill.

Norm