Author Topic: Flying for RTMM again. (MSFS2020)  (Read 3262 times)

Beardgoblin

Flying for RTMM again. (MSFS2020)
« on: August 13, 2021, 08:01:49 PM »
Back in my FSX days I loved using FSPassangers.  That addon long fell out of development (though remains available, afaik), so an MSFS version seems unlikely.

What to use instead?  There are quite a few such addons out there for MSFS now, and I settled on Neofly for a first go - it seemed to tick all the right boxes, and had a very attractive price tag - free!

One of the factors that really caught my eye was that there is an app nested within Neofly that lets you compile all your extra airports and runways (yes, including all of the RTMM extra ones, including Misty's Place and water runways!) and incorporates them into its mission/job structure, so it will generate jobs to go to them!

It takes a few minutes for the app to compile them all, and you have to run it each time you fire up Neofly, but thats the ideal time to take a bio break and grab a beverage and a snack!  Er, I mean do your pre-flight checks!

So I liveried up my Cessna 172 for Misty Moorings service, and embarked on a new career!

These pics all come from my third flight - the first two I was too busy paying attention to what I needed to be doing to take screenshots.  So I find myself at Klawock (PAKW), having run a couple of light cargo runs starting out at PANT on Annette Island to PAKT (Ketchican), then another such run from PAKT to PAKW.

I pick up another light cargo job - the passanger runs usually have 2-3 passangers and a couple of hundred lbs of cargo/baggage, which my lil cessna can't rally handle, and I have things like bush landings and SAR fligts turned off for now (I'll add them in when I get to grips with it all, and have amassed funds for suitably capable aircraft), couple hundred lbs of 'stuff' to go from PAKW to PAPG.  Klawock to Petersburg.

Anyway, enough waffle, you came for pictures!

Loaded up and cleared for take-off from PAKW:

Runway looks a little damp - it did rain a little earlier:

Up and away - wait, is that a bear down there?

I have the DC SCENERY DESIGN addon for Klawock (and also as we'll see in future flights, Petersburg and Wrangell) installed.

Tower duly notified of their ursine trespasser, it's time to focus on the way ahead.

Gotta get over the hump:

Over the otherside:

Sure, I could fly higher, but that's not nearly as much fun  8)

Passing over a road less travelled, interior Prince of Wales Island:

Island to the left of me:

Islands to the right:

Here I am, stuck in the middle with view:

I'll, ah, see myself out, shall I?  ;D

Petersburgh should be on the right there, just at the base of that slope:

Yep, there it is, time to turn in:

On final:

From the hot seat:

Parked up alongside the other GA traffic:

And the pickup is the courier, come to take my cargo to its end point:

That was fun, looking forward to more.  The scenery in MSFS2020 really is amazing!

Already done my next flight, out to Rowan Bay, but I'll post that another time - right now I have an awkward customer to get from Rowan Bay to Kake!

Hope you enjoyed following on, thanks for looking!
The New Rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz, 32 Gig RAM, RTX 2060 D6 6GB V2 GPU, T16000M FCS Hotas, Logitech 3 stick Throttle Quad.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Flying for RTMM again. (MSFS2020)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 12:45:33 AM »
Great flight log.  Thanks for the ride along.   8)

Ah, the awkward customers.  You know, you can fly up-side-down in a beaver.   ;D :o ::) :P

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:49:42 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

kaha

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 04:55:23 AM »
My PAKW looks different. I use Rex Airport textures and Bijans Seasons, but that cannot be the reason for the difference. My graphics settings are a mix of High/Ultra.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Beardgoblin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:17:02 AM »
Cheers @jeff3163 - if only Milviz would hurry up and oblige  ;) 8)

Interesting @kaha - thanks for the comparison shot! My settings are down in the medium, occasional bit of high - what nvidia tells me is optimal.  I've been meaning to experiment with them.

I went and compared what I'm seeing to the publicity shots from DCSD, and there are some differences - mainly that the tree's don't come down to the edges of the airport area like they do in the publicity shots, and in yours.

Of the runway shots, the one on the left is the same settings as the screenshots I used in the first post.  The one on the right is after I ramped them all up to more or less max for volume/density/detail - all the 'post effects' have remained in the mid ranges.

Not a lot of difference to see.

All the buildings seem to be present and correct, as in the side by side of my view and the publicity shot, but again, trees remain far in the background, not right up to the fences.

Dunno why.  Also (not shown), over in Klawock townn itself, I have one of the dock peirs floating above the surface/terrain, even with the terrain vector data on high.  Hasn't noticably affected my flying experience, so I'll jam that up to ultra, too, and see if it remains that way.

The same was in effect at Petersburgh - wide open area around the runway and airfield, and later at Kake, too.

Maybe an SU5 thing?

It makes sense in my mind for a wide area around an airport to be cleared, and I'm more curious about why the differences between user experiences than anything.

Weird  :o :D
The New Rig:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz, 32 Gig RAM, RTX 2060 D6 6GB V2 GPU, T16000M FCS Hotas, Logitech 3 stick Throttle Quad.

kaha

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 06:35:36 AM »
Your ground textures are substantially different from mine. In General Options -->-- Data have you switched on Online Functionality and Bing Data World Graphics? You also might want to delete the Cache (I don't use cache at all).

Karl

Beardgoblin

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 06:42:30 AM »
Thanks kaha, thats it!

I didn't even know that was a thing!  I've left photogrametry off for now, but enabling online and Bing data seems to be the cause.

Thankyou!
The New Rig:

kaha

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 06:44:20 AM »
Perfect!

Karl

kaha

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 06:48:36 AM »
You also should check "Assistance Options" if everything is to your needs there. Like automixture and such.

Karl

Beardgoblin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »
Thanks @kaha, I had a dig around in there when I realised that my ground handling issues where due to the assistance trying to get me to take-off, when what I wanted was to taxi to park  :o ;D

The New Rig:

Beardgoblin

Re: Flying for RTMM again. (MSFS2020) updated 14/08/21
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 07:59:04 AM »
Time for my next flight - urgent load of cargo for Rowan Bay, and a promise of a fare to Kake tp pick up at same.  Ok then.  But first, I discovered the Finance tab in Neofly, and hit myself up with a loan of 135k, and promptly blew 125k of it on a new plane - the upgraded bagolu Cessna 172 amphibian, with 210 hp engine and STOL kit.  Its a free addon, and also available are a taildragger and standard version, but without the wheel-pants.

Sadly that does mean I am withoy RTMM livery for now, might have a crack at rustling one up to fit the new 'plane over the weekend though.  For now the addon comes with a default white with green livery that looks close enough  8)

All loaded up, depature from PAPG:

Even at almost max takeoff weigt, this souped up 172 hurls itself up off the ground!

Also, PAPG and some other airports previously seen in this thread will look rather different on future visits.  Clearly due to an,uh, aggressive re-foresting programme, and not at all because I noobed up my graphics settings - thanks again to @kaha for clueing me into the Online Terrain and Bing Data settings!

Circling 'round to take in Petersburg:

I'd seen a ship in the bay that hadn't been there when I came in to land, and wanted to take a look!

Petersburg waterfront:

Just cruising by:

Cruise liner coming into view:

Time to buzz the shipping traffic:

Departing Petersburg:

I'm getting paid real virtual cash monies for this flight, and I got a big fat loan to pay off, so I better get to it!

Just messin' with the camera:

Onwards over evergreen forests:

No bad puns this time, just a view out the window:

Take a hard right at the base of the mountains:

Looking back, having taken that hard right:

Arrival, Rowan Bay:

The dock should be just beyond that strip of land with trees on the far side of the bay, just up and left of centre.

Budd waits for his ride:

This fellow in the ill fitting trousers is the fare I was promised.  Lets call him Budd.  Yeah.  If you follow the shoreline from Budd's chin out to the right, just where it ends is a tiny white spec, roughly centre of shot.  Thats my little Cessna!

Cabins at Rowan Bay:

Now to taxi to the dock...

I fixed my previous ground handling issues by turning off all the piloting assissts - it was trying to return me to centre runway and takeoff speed whilst I was trying to taxi and park!

The water handling of floatplanes is still a little wonky in MSFS, but thanks to some very shallow water and judicious application of amphibious capabilities, I was able to get turned around and to the dock.

Cargo delivered, ready for departure:

Budd.  Hey Budd!  C'mon, get in.  Looks like the manager in charge of the cabin's is fit to shove you off the dock, so lets go.

Next, getting Budd to Kake!

Thanks for looking!
The New Rig:

kaha

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
Lol! Nice!

By the way, are that those ropes for tie dow hanging from your Cessna?

Karl

Beardgoblin

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
Cheers @kaha!

Yes, the tie-downs hanging off the wings are part of the 'bagolu-c172-amphib-g1000' addon I'm using.

They don't quite obey physics in a convincing manner if scrutinised closely, but looks ok on selected still shots  :D
The New Rig:

Beardgoblin

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 09:01:40 PM »
So, Budd got turfed out of a holiday cabin by 'The Management', and they're paying to get him out of there.  Turns out the 200lbs of cargo I just dropped off was new towels, toilet rolls, a new shower curtain and a replacement toilet seat, plumbing equipment and supplies.

I don't ask.

Budd aboard, taxi out for takeoff:

Circling back over the cabins, headed for Kake:

Budd is burbling a litany of complaints, I think.  To himself, I think.

The course plotted by the sat-nav wants me to go over that mountain.  I like to fly lower than that!

Budd is still ranting away about the injustice of it all - his tuncated holiday, I assume.

It's getting kinda funky in here, whatever he did in that bathroom, it wasn't bathing!

I guess we'll go over this one, it'll be quicker:

And down the other side:

An isolated spot for a home:

Looks nice.  I bet it doesn't have a dishevelled and disgruntled tourist ranting in it.

Over water again:

According to the satellite map, there are two docks in this view.  Can't see 'em.

Just over this ridge should be a stretch of water, and on the otherside of that, Kake:

Luckily, its only a short flight.  About 21nm.

Yup, here we are - dead (ish) ahead, Kake:

Coming in a little hot:

Well, it's hard to concentrate with Budd around.  And where did he get such a badly fitting pair of trousers, anyway?

I'm better off not knowing.

Down, hard (300+rate of descent!), but down:

And Budd is finally quiet!

Parked up, not much here:

Out you get Budd, you're on your own now!

Turns out the smell was the cargo - 185lbs of garbage Budd had generated...

Another successful flight.  Although I'll end up spending the takings getting the kinks that landing put in taken out when I get to Juneau!

This was the last set of pics taken before I switched on Online Terrain & Bing Data settings, and tweaked up a bunch of graphics settings.  I was already impressed - now I'm  :o :o :o

Thanks for looking!
The New Rig:

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »
     A fine conclusion.  Budd ate too much roughage, I guess.   ???  Living off the land?  :P
     I hope Budd cleans up before a bear smells him and comes looking for dinner.  Yikes!
     Always pack out your trash!  Leave no trace, is the motto around this corner of the world. (Pacific Northwest)  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Beardgoblin

Re: Flying for RTMM again. (MSFS2020) Kake to Juneau - via many cabins!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 10:29:15 AM »
     A fine conclusion.  Budd ate too much roughage, I guess.   ???  Living off the land?  :P

Heh, thanks @jeff3163!  Perhaps Budd just enjoyed dropping the end of a roll of toilet paper into the bowl and flushing to watch it unravel - repeatedly, until he broke the plumbing.

Like a certain infamous 'Noodle Incident', we will never know for sure, and that's probably for the best!

Always pack out your trash!  Leave no trace, is the motto around this corner of the world. (Pacific Northwest)  ;) 

As it should be!  The world would be better off if we all took that motto with us, and our trash home when we where done!

I don't think Budd is the sort to tidy up after himself - I had to clean up the plane myself!

Poor Budd, cast as the 'villain' because it was my first passanger flight and I anticipated messing something up!

I was right about those trousers though...

Still, all's well that ends well - I think I saw him hoping onto the Juneau ferry - safe travels Budd, and all who sail with you!

I'm also on my way to Juneau, via a series of remote locations to drop off packages of camping/cabin supplies.  Three packages, 300lbs.  No passangers!  Whilst Neofly can chain missions together, I haven't worked out how that goes yet, so I just took missions from destination to destination as I went.

Another fun thing is that Neofly has a 'plane market' at all landing areas - including those at tiny cabins with no physical runway or airport space.  Imagine my surprise at finding an A320 for sale at Church Bight Cabin!  Its a weird quirk, but I can live with it  ;D

Supplies loaded, ready to roll:

That re-foresting project is really coming along!  Big thanks to @kaha for the settings advice!

Airbourne, PAFE:

Still surprised at just how quickly this little plane gets off the ground with its beefed up engine.

First stop is at water-runway 'A23' in Saginaw Bay, one of the two landings I couldn't see when I flew over Saginaw yesterday.

Its only a short distance to A23 - just 9nm - but I took a bit longer flying along the coastline a bit, goggling at the scenery with the new settings.

Just cruisng along, admiring the views:

Ok, that's enough sight-seeing, I have a lot of 'ground' to cover, and there'll be plenty to see on the way!

Into Saginaw Bay:

Landing area is on the left, between that little island and the shore, can't see anything yet.

Close low pass over the landing area:

Still nothing.  That clear patch just above the starboard wing-tip is where the old 'Pipeline Cannery' stood, according to the old topo maps.

Another pass, a closer look:

Still nothing.  Double check the job chit, double check the shipping info - this is the right spot.  Oh well, set 'er down, see what gives, I guess.

If there is some RTMM scenery tucked away here I'm not seeing, please let me know - afaik I have it all installed!

Pulled up at the old cannery site:

Sure enough, two dudes in outdoor gear come out of the trees to claim their prize - apparently they're camped in the woods nearby!  They're able to quote the necessary shipping info, and that's good enough for me - package one delivered!

Taxied out, ready to go again:

Looking back to Saginaw Bay:

Looking out towards Kake - about where that strip of sand is:

Global commerce in action, Frederick Sound:

Cruising along:

That should be the Church Bight area, just ahead:

Just admiring the scenery again:

Didn't see anything on the first pass, so coming back for another look...

There it is!

Just off the starboard wing-tip.

View from the ground:

I love visiting these little scenes:

Nobody here this time, so I deposit the package in a secure storeage bin (I'm pretty sure there's bears in them there woods!) and pre-flight for the next leg.

Getting up to take-off speed:

Leaving Church Bight:

Flying up Seymour Canal:

Peering over the hood:

Young Lake, South Cabin:

View from the porch:

Young Lake, North Cabin:

Blink after North Cabin and you'll miss it - Admiralty Cove Cabin:

The Admiralty Cove landing area:

With the cabin being set back in the woods, I guess this little shack provides shelter for anyone waiting on a plane or boat to arrive, and a place to store supplies.

Although there is 'officially' only a water strip here, I recon a plane with bush tyres could set down on the waters edge there.  I'll have to try it sometime!

The supply shack:

I tried getting up on shore with the amphibian, but it just kept bogging down a few feet out of the water.  I still think bush tyres could handle it.

The family staying in the cabin come out to help unload and share coffee - always welcome!

And now, with rubbish picked up from the cabin loaded for diposal (and much better packed and sealed than last time!), it's onwards to Juneau!

Leaving Admiralty Cove behind:

It's only a short hop to Juneau - just 10nm - so this won't take long.

Juneau is just beyond this island:

Nice spot for a home:

Or three!

My plane is just above and beyond the trees on the left there somewhere, but lost in the glare.

Amazingly the sim played birdsong whilst I was looking up from this spot.  Incredible!

Rounding the island:

Juneau is just over that row of low hills in the middle distance, to the right of the glacier in the middle.

Right 'on the numbers':

Unfortunatelly I stalled the last twenty feet - good job I'm booked in for a full service here in Juneau!

All parked up, waiting for the mechanic:

Cost me a fair chunk of change to fix the damage - down to 63% hull, according to Neofly, by the time I got parked up.

I currently have all the damage and emergencies etc turned off in both the sim and Neofly, whilst I get back to grips with things - but why take chances?  I paid up and the mechanic fixed up my plane.  I coughed up extra for an engine re-tune whilst I was at it.

That was a fun series of excursions - I flew them one after another in one continuous session.  Really enjoyed it, and everything looked even more amazing with the new settings.  No noticable hit on performance either, bonus!  probably a good job I shelled out extra for the biggest and best rated CPU cooler I could find to fit in my PC case, though!

Thanks for following along, and a big shout out to the RTMM team for providing all these extra bits of scenery - I do love seeking them out for a visit!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:33:09 PM by Beardgoblin »
The New Rig: