Author Topic: USFS Cabins Project  (Read 2258 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
USFS Cabins Project
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:48:35 PM »
Update ... 06.04.2021 - by Doug

1.Two Ranger Districts are done, Ketchikan and Misty Fjords. This includes 25 cabins in two separate groups. Both groups (as beta) are there for you to download and try if you like.  Watch the version numbers, I change them often when we are building things. But both groups are now functional.

2. All of the WayPoints are correct on the WayPoint table. The WayPoint table lat/long column was changed to show "latitude, -longitude" with a comma between. To use these for "Custom" in the FS2020 flight planner, just swipe the entry in the column and enter it into the search, the comma is already there for you.

3. The POI.txt file is updated so all of the WayPoint starting points are in the FStarter. Click on a WayPoint and it puts you in position in front of the cabin.

4. I'm going to "hold" on doing the more flight plans for these until we have Misty's Place PF20. At that time I will redo the ones we did for the Ketchikan District and all of our flight plans for these to Districts will come out of the new Misty's Place.

There is quite a bit of work to be done yet. I will work on the README for both of these and have them "ready" for the new pictures we will insert once we have the new objects inserted into these two location sets.

Some are very easy, a slight vegetation adjustment and drop in a single cabin object

Some take a lot more time. Wilson View was nothing but a cliff, there was no way to get up to the cabin, which is NOT on the water. So I had to terraform the mountain to make it "climb-able", then put a trail from the "drop off point" on the water, up to the cabin. Then there was a lot of vegetation added, this end of the lake is barren (not anymore!).

And some need their own Lake.  Hugh Smith Lake is one that "wasn't there" and had to be built from scratch, but the result is amazing once the work is done.

What is amazing with these is how different all of them are, each time you find one, it will be a visual adventure. And if you have seen them in summer, then you must go see them in winter. The "winter world" of FS2020 is truly amazing!

Our goal is to have these two Ranger Districts completed and ready when the new FS2020 Web page opens.

Doug

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:51:03 PM by Doug »

kaha

Re: USFS Cabins Project
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 05:37:56 PM »
Thank you Doug, for the good work!

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

xxd09

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 03:13:56 AM »
Looking forward to this
Thanks for all th great work
xxd09

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »
Looking great!

Rod

Airtrooper

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
Looks fabulous! :)
Thank you for all your hard work.

Airtrooper

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 04:17:28 AM »
Where can I find the Beta to give it a try please?

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
Where can I find the Beta to give it a try please?
Hello Andy,
     I believe that Doug has posted a couple (5) postings on Flightsim.to already (that I saw).  Search for RTMM, or use this link ===> https://flightsim.to/discover/RTMM
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:43:37 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Airtrooper

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 09:06:51 AM »
Ah ha, I see!  :) Many thanks indeed Jeff!

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
I think those are dispatches.  The actual  RTMM USFS Cabin location scenery for FS2020 has not been released.

Rod

Doug

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 02:22:15 PM »
Admiralty Cover USFS Cabin (USFS Cabin Group 3)

Starting the Admiralty Ranger District Cabins. The first one was really interesting. It is "located on a bench (ridge) overlooking a tidal meadow". So I put in the bench, put the cabin on it, then went after the "tidal meadow" behind it. All of the river/stream/lake systems were totally dry. Turned all that dryness into a system of streams/rivers and lakes with water so it is seamless with the ocean cove nearby. The way the FS2020 topography lies in this one, it is not possible to put the cabin where it belongs. It would be at the back left of the meadow. You would have a 3-mile hike and have to cross 2 streams and a river to get there. So a little "imagineering" to make it work.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:26:06 PM by Doug »

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
Jedi Doug is in the zone!

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Doug

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
Admiralty Cove Reality Fix ...
The REAL cabin is some distance from the water. The more I looked at this one, the more important it seemed to get the cabin exactly where it is supposed to be rather than place it for the convenience of the simmer. So I returned to it and changed it. Below is the fix.  The cabin is now overlooking that tidal meadow, it is about 3 miles from the water drop-off. The tidal meadow is actually a very unique feature and I wanted to highlight it. More work was done on the extensive tidal river system on the meadow.  I put a little shelter at the drop-off so people could find the water dropoff area.

Most people will be flying floats (amphibs) to these locations. But you can fly this one best with a tundra landing gear configuration. You can see from the screenshot below how it changed from what I posted earlier. The bottom line, we are going to try to get all of these as REALISTIC as possible. Both water and land starts are represented on the WayPoint table.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:42:13 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »
Hasselborg Creek Cabin

Hopefully some of these posts might get folks to give scenery design a try. We have a great deal more control (IMO) with the result with FS2020 SDK. I am NOT an expert at this, so if I can do it, anybody can!  But if anybody is sitting on the fence, jump in and give it a try. We sure need help ... a lot to do with RTMM in FS2020.

One of the big disappointments with FS2020 is when you come upon a location, as with Hasselborg Creek Cabin ... where NOTHING exists, maybe, in this case, a slight depression in the topography. (We were really spoiled with the lakes and topography in P3D and FSX). So when you see a "before" like this, it is very disappointing. But then you go to work on it, using topography maps, etc and the lake begins to appear. (For me it is like carving a square piece of wood into an animal shape ... it was always "in there" you just had to find it). This is a lot like that.

But in the end, there is Hasselborg Lake and it's rather wide (almost an extensiion of the lake) area as it leaves the lake and goes to the cove. But still, we could duplicate it. The cabin object is the least of the work done here, but people will go look for the cabin, not realizing there was no lake to put the cabin "on."  It is amazing what we can do with FS2020.  If you are thinking about trying FS2020 scenery design, I can help you get started, just as Rod got me started. It is actually very satisfying work.  Give it a try.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 01:14:25 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
The Dispatch for the Admiralty Ranger district cabins is "up" on the FS2020 ACTIVITIES page as MS008. You can view the map there, and if you click on view, you can see the dispatch. It still needs pictures for each cabin. These will be done when we have the RTMM library objects and I've changed out the FS2020 Cabins etc for the RTMM ones. But the dispatch is fly-able with complete VFR instructions and a flight plan.

Doug

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 10:48:16 AM »
Craig Ranger District (USFS Cabins) is "up"

We now have four USFS Ranger districts included in our offerings on the scenery page under "U" for USFS.  The latest one is Craig which I finished yesterday. The new group USFS4 is "up" and ready for download on the beta page for the RTMM beta team. Please check this one out to make sure it works for you ok.