Author Topic: Loss of image for a second  (Read 1861 times)

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
Loss of image for a second
« on: May 13, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »
Hello

FWIW I thought I'd post this in case it helps a fellow sufferer. Over the past 2/3 weeks I've been plagued by a random loss of image on my monitor. It lasts for about a second, mainly during games and simming. The pc carries on running normally. So I can shoot at someone, have the blank screen and then when the image returns I can then see if I hit my target or not. VERY annoying I think you'll agree.

Finally my brain did something useful right out of the blue and gave me the notion to replace the 3yr old Displayport cable. So I did, 4 days ago and it hasn't happened since.

I find this odd because it's a cable that's hardly ever moved.
How can it fail? [assuming the cable is indeed the cause of my issue.]

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Loss of image for a second
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 01:46:50 PM »
Do you have same blackouts in the sim (or any other application?)  or just in that shoot-em up game?   

Maybe try to update the graphics driver.....  and do any windows updates to ensure your system is up to speed. After updating all, shutdown PC. 

Unplug the monitor and let it sit for a few minutes. Re-seat the monitor cables on the monitor port as well as on the GPU port.  (or if you have another cable, try it - just to make sure. (Rule any/every problem out!).

Do a fresh startup and test it in that same game scenario (without anything else running)  (memory at MAX).

If it is still blacking out in that application, try a similar application: graphics heavy like the sim. Any blackouts in the sim?

If blackouts in any application (GPU under load heavy), then suspect it could be either your GPU or monitor telling you that it might be getting tired! (But if only blacking out in that game but OK in everything else, then suspect it's the config of that shooter game- might be using too much memory for your GPU to handle  or something else might be running or interfering).  Always have to try to determine/isolate the problem as to why something is happening.

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Loss of image for a second
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
Hi Norm

Just seen your reply.

I resolved the issue by reseating the gpu - it has to be perfect - and replaced the monitor DP cable.
The RX580 is back to its best!

Cheers for the advice.

Garry

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat