Author Topic: Weather in MSFS  (Read 1665 times)

Yoda

• Misty Moorings Team
Weather in MSFS
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:38:34 AM »
The implementation of weather in MSFS has been problematic for more than a few of us. One issue that has been consistent so far is that the live weather setting seems to work okay for the first flight, but not after you complete a sector and go back out to the planner to load a new flight plan.

Last week, I stumbled across a workaround: Don't select live weather in the flight planner; select clear weather in the flight planner, then switch to live weather from the drop down menu after you've arrived in the virtual cockpit. It takes a few seconds for the new weather to appear, but it will, and more importantly, it will do so consistently, even after you've gone back to the flight planner.

The advantage to this is that the weather is dynamic, rather than static, as it is when you use a weather preset.

I haven't done a long term detailed comparison of the in-sim "live" weather to any real world METARs or TAFs, yet, but I did look at aviation weather forecasts for Alaska...VFR conditions with minimal icing, light to moderate turbulence, and winds from the ENE at 15-20 knots.

What I got for this morning's flight using live weather was visibility 10NM in rain with overcast at 3-4Kft, light turbulence, no icing, and winds from the ENE at 17 knots. 

I'd call it "believable."
Best Regards,
Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch
Pinner, UK

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Weather in MSFS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
While many won't mind the inconsistent weather, one solution is the UN-weather.  The process is a little more involved than a plug and play, but not bad.  The weather seems to be a bit more realistic and consistent.  I think I would go that route than imply a work a round.  But YMMV. And of course if you want to spend a few $$$ there is REX, but the reviews see to indicate that it's value is suspect. If there is enough interest, I will post the links and the instructions.

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
REX do the same sing as UnrealWeather

look aat this  : https://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=5213.msg44543#msg44543
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

Yoda

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 03:06:27 AM »
I bought the REX, and while I initially liked it, but even though I had purchased it, the software now informs me that the trial period is over and I need to pay for a copy. I contacted support, and their answer was to reinstall. I did so, and it still doesn't work. I spent several days fighting with it and trying to get past their automated support system for some actual help, and finally decided that it wasn't worth the effort and chalked up to a $25 lesson.

I have read quite a lot of the developer's blog for unreal weather, and I remain unconvinced.

The point of my original post is that by changing when you enable the default weather in MSFS, the inconsistency goes away entirely. For free. With no outside programs.

Best Regards,
Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch
Pinner, UK

merlinux

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:51:52 AM »
The big difference between REX and UNweather is that Rex does provide enroute winds. For low flights in Alaska under the ceiling it isn't important but if you are going to fly a jet or a turboprop at FL300+ it is.

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:12:55 PM »
That might be true, but since I seriously doubt that if you are here at RTMM or the Flying Club, Jets probably aren't you everyday flier!

UnWeather flight level winds that are indicated, appear to have the correct effect on the flight.  (they might not be accurate to real weather) If you calculate the wind angle (with your trusty E6B) your correction is close enough for me.

I personally look for weather that is consistent with real weather as it applies for VFR flight.  For most hobbyists, if real weather doesn't fit your plans for the day, you simply switch to a preset.  As a side note, MSFS is obviously geared to VFR flight....just look at the emphasis on ground detail and Bush Flights as a major feature.  For the Jet set, P3D PMDG Jets appear to be stronger...and you don't need much ground detail at FL30!

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 07:21:35 PM »
That might be true, but since I seriously doubt that if you are here at RTMM or the Flying Club, Jets probably aren't you everyday flier!

UnWeather flight level winds that are indicated, appear to have the correct effect on the flight.  (they might not be accurate to real weather) If you calculate the wind angle (with your trusty E6B) your correction is close enough for me.

I personally look for weather that is consistent with real weather as it applies for VFR flight.  For most hobbyists, if real weather doesn't fit your plans for the day, you simply switch to a preset.  As a side note, MSFS is obviously geared to VFR flight....just look at the emphasis on ground detail and Bush Flights as a major feature.  For the Jet set, P3D PMDG Jets appear to be stronger...and you don't need much ground detail at FL30!

Hi you want to say FL 300 ??   ;)
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
For me buying weather force was disappointment... very sorry to say.

From the release for me was a headache with the program which simply not come close to working as advertised. 

Stutters while weather being loaded during flight and once it loads mostly was not even close to what weather I was flying in seconds before. I have stopped using it months back.

Their is a reason why activesky has not released a MSFS 2020 version..,yet

REX jump into the MSFS 2020 weather game too fast and wound up over their heads with problems after problems to this day.

At times I use the Weather Force feature to checkout weather at different airports but do not activate the weather engine. I only spent 20 bucks for it and they have tried time after time with updates and still no joy for me.

I simply use the default MSFS weather and it works for me with zero fuss. From what I understand a update is coming  concerning some weather issues with winds.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:20:20 AM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

kaha

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 04:31:06 AM »
Just made a test flight with the new aircraft that came from ORBX. Took off in LOWI heading west. What did I see? Some snow on the ground. That's just plain wrong.

I took this picture from my house, that is ~15 nm east of LOWI. There is some snow left on the mountains above 6000 ft ASL, but there is no snow in the valley. It would melt in seconds as it is rather warm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pml434krejjobgq/Weather_LOWI_20210605.jpg?dl=0

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Yoda

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 05:19:40 AM »
Yep. How the sim handles snow on the ground is problematic, but honestly, I imagine that to be an almost insurmountable problem. Frankly, it didn't work in P3D or FSX, either.
Best Regards,
Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch
Pinner, UK