Author Topic: The End of an Era!  (Read 3399 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
The End of an Era!
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:47:13 AM »
Well for me at least.  At 0700 (local) I began the process of removing FS9 and all associated files in its entirety from my hard drive.  Well after an hour and a half of deleting, rebooting, disk clean up and derfagmentation I'm still fighting off shock.  My HD now has an extra 10 GB of space on it.  That is after my install of Northern Rocky Mountains and Australia SP4 by ORBX.
 8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

Re: The End of an Era!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
When I had to remove FS2004 and all its ancillaries from my system last year to gain some space, not having flown FS for almost 6 years since my mother's incapacity and final passing, I wound up with an extra 77Gb on my drive.  I literally deleted over half a million files! Of course, that included a second install of the sim using Bill Lyons' Golden Wings mod.

And I want to reinstall this alongside FSX on my new system?  ::)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
I know the feeling.  FS9 ran smooth as silk on my rig and I never bothered to install FSX for several years.  I finally couldn't stand looking a screenshots of the water effects in FSX and installed it.  To my amazement it ran just fine on my rig and still does.  I can't run high settings in major airports or urban areas but in the more regional and bush areas it shines like a new penny!  I thought about how much money I was wiping off my HD by uninstalling all that addon scenery, mesh, AI Traffic, payware aircraft, etc., but hey, time to move on and not look back.  After running FSX for some time try viewing some UTube videos of FS9.    ;D :o
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

foggy-bottom

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
FS9 finally departed my (flying/internet) computr just the week before last.  I wonder if the old motherboard followed in sympathy?  It's all still backed up on at least two external drives so could be brought back in needed... 

Does anyone remember that Goodbye to FS2004 video on yoo-toob - soundtrack: Don't Stop Me Now by Queen?

It's here - make it full screen and turn up the volume  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7CAKWhOdc
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

alexf

• My photogallery
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
I did it almost three years ago. Once I set up on FSX like I like it, then added REX, and ORBx stuff I don't have any need for FS9 or even any other FS look-alike. I'm a happy camper (with a lot of money invested in scenery and planes), not to mention hardware.

Gypsy Pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
When I set up my new machine ( 2 years old and already obsolete ) I decided not to install FS9 on it.  It turned out to be a good move because my FSX folder has reached 75 GB and it's still climbing.

I liked FS9 for it's huge collection of aircraft to fly but when FSX came upon the scene I became such a Scenery Slut that I now have installed all of Orbrx NA packages, almost all of the Misty Mooring's sites and now if it don't float I don't fly it.  Of course I still need wheels, so I pretend that those rough Alaskan runways will not rip the landing gear off of my floats.

Flying low and slow and grinnin like a Possim.
~~ Dale ~~
Dale "Gypsy Pilot" Evans

Fly like a Float Plane Pilot
Disconnect those brakes