Author Topic: Some good news  (Read 1563 times)

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
Some good news
« on: March 13, 2021, 06:41:04 PM »
I was sure somewhere on the forum there was a inquiry about MSFS and Cigar Box..I couldn't find it.....well, today I am happy to report that MSFS DOES work with Cigar Box!  But....there is always a but......it seems when cigar box saves the flight, MSFS pauses...or better stated, freezes.  Turing off the auto save in cigar box fixed it for my flight.  The save  function works in MSFS and while the problem is there, recovery and continuation of the flight possible.

FYI....I am using the Paid version of FSUIPC and it was actively open during the flight.  I think it stays active if you choose to have FSUIPC start the sim (MSFS)

Of course not all of the MFC airfields are in MSFS and of course the RTMM scenery isn't compatible....hopefully some day it will.

As for the sim itself, I am impressed with the graphics....I was afraid it was all eye candy, but it gave a realistic rendition of haze even without weather active.  Ground objects matched the skyVector charts well and the airports while not the detail of ORBX or RTMM did have static planes and active personnel.....almost too active.  I am disappointed in the aircraft and especially the glass cockpit stuff. The Cessna 172 with steam gauges is all I will fly, but even this airplane is spoiled with GPS radios and autopilot....but you might like those features.

Anyway, it works for now as long as you fly the airports that are available in the program.  If you are thinking of giving it a test, the download is LOOOOONG, and I had to do it twice....and don't move it or take a drive off line or you will be downloading it again.  I was about to ask for a refund, but for now, I'll keep it and see how things progress.  First order of business will be to buy a ORBX airport and see what the difference is, if any.

Henry

kaha

Re: Some good news
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 06:59:49 PM »
Henry, this is awesome. I will try CigarBox on MSFS tomorrow. Do you say that FSUIPC needs to run? Is the payed version needed?

Thx,
Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
I know this topic was addressed in the RTMM general forum, but to make sure all see the response.....here is is again....

Yes FSUIPC must be installed, but it has already been required for FSX and P3D.  I am using the Paid version, but I see no reason that the free version would not get the job done.  Turing off auto save in Cigar Box will prevent MSFS from freezing at the save point.  Cigar box does not fill in the FS (MSFS was not know at the time the program was created and since I don't have the source code, there is no solution....

Henry

kaha

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 12:35:36 PM »
Bingo!

And I got a discount because I own FSUIPC 6.

Thx,
Karl

kaha

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »
Is this the thread to discuss CigarBox for MSFS?

I found that "toggle active pause" doesn't pause in CigarBox. you have to use pause in the dev menu. Doing so doesn't stop the sim from rendering and if you press escape, CigarBox unpauses.

So, I did not find a possibility to pause and stopping rendering (which is possible in P3D by pausing and then pressing Escape).

Karl

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »
Good question.....Until now, MSFS2020 was a point of discussion, but until now we didn't think that the flying club would be able to utilize the platform.  That's changed.  Both Norm and I monitor both forums, so for now it up to you.  Perhaps we should consider a sub forum.

We will try and post up a couple of short, point to point tours so you can try it.  Since we may be the only organized ( well sort of) VA/Flying club that is mostly for Bush Pilots, we hope that this might attract more pilots.

Henry

scanham

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »
Great news!  I’ll give it a try. 
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
MSFS2020 with Cigar Box
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 06:09:18 PM »
(Duplicate post to cover this post subject matter): 

Appears that it is only the latest latest FSUIPC v7.0.6 which connects to Cigar Box. (Previous versions didn't). In any event a bonus for sure for those running MSFS.

For MSFS users, many of the MFC flights can be flown in MSFS and will be accepted but note that some routes that contain rtmm location will not be seen in MSFS however if these locations are shown as landing locations on the flight leg just select a close alternate that is present in MSFS and will accept.

(The Cigar Box charter option also works fine with MSFS so you can define your own flights which will be accepted. (North America only please).

(Please turn off the auto-save option in Cigar Box by unchecking the Auto-Save button which is located in Cigar Box >> Recovery > Settings then SAVE icon. )

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^