Author Topic: Do you remember what is was wrong in Tongass Fjords (moving to P3Dv4)?  (Read 3072 times)

YoYo

Hi Friends,
Do you remember what is was wrong in Tongass Fjords (moving to P3Dv4 64 bits)?
I remember when P3Dv4 came out there was a problem with TF 32bits with compatibility with new sim - the result it was CTD (with AI I suppose) but wat is was exactly (textures, flight plans, conversion ect)?

I asked because I had the idea of converting at least part of Vietnam War Project (for myself, part only because its more than 100 airfields) to P3Dv5. Few airports I did now in ADE and it started to look good (obviously the default version has a big mess in P3Dv5 without tweaks):

but when I added AI traffic - the same thing happened as it was like in TF: CTD in new sim - so perhaps its the similar issue.

Any idea what it was with TF? What I must check in FSX's Vietnam War Project?
TY!

Webmaster of www.yoyosims.pl

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
Re: Do you remember what is was wrong in Tongass Fjords (moving to P3Dv4)?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:36:59 AM »
if i remember is the AI in Tongass F.
2 are FSX and need to delete it in the addon .

Fly safe

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

YoYo

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 04:48:37 AM »
Thx, I think so, but I mean exactly what was the problem (texture, animation, mdl ect) - I would fix it here if I can. ;D So any ideat what is was exactly and what I must do?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:26:00 AM by YoYo »

kaha

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:34:23 AM »
If I remember correctly it was a prop texture causing the issue.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »
Almost props were associated but the actual cause of the CTD were incompatible aircraft models files (*.mdl)  which were in the older fs98/fs9 format. 

Rod is the expert on this.. (He fix up Tongass which had a five ai aircraft model files in FS98 format which worked fine in FSX-P3Dv3 but caused ctd in the updated sims: P3Dv4+5.

Rod converted those FS98 model files to be in FSX Native format models (and also updated the corresponding animated prop texture files to view correctly), These FSX native models were compatible with P3Dv4+5 and no more CTD.

(RTMM page LINK: Tongass AI traffic fixes: https://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php#5 )
Refer to his AI updated file  TFX SimObjects AI Update for P3Dv4 V1.1 8-7-17.zip.

(Calclassics have a full manual on the subject which would be helpful for all the steps;
LINK:  http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/)   but perhaps Rod could confirm / assist as to how to make the converts of these files from FS98/FS9 to FSX Native.

Norm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:53:15 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

YoYo

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 07:56:00 AM »
Thank You! Very helpful info.

but perhaps Rod could confirm / assist as to how to make the converts of these files from FS98/FS9 to FSX Native.

Maybe by Model Converter X? I'll wait patiently :).

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 01:38:16 PM »
 ModelConverterX version 1.4.0.0 dated 4/21/2019

Page Link:  https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

(That link is right in the tutorial under Resources)   http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/

" RESOURCES

Required
1.  I am using ModelConverterX version 1.4.0.0 dated 4/21/2019 - this was the latest version of the "development release" as of this tutorial version.  Earlier versions will not work.  You can usually assume that later versions will also work, but animation names, etc. may be slightly different.  Note also that this is not the "stable release", which will not work for this purpose.  You can get the development release here:

https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

Click on the image of the floppy disk to download.

Installation is easy - create a new folder (outside of any Program Files folder) and place the downloaded files into that folder.  I named my folder ModelConverterX.  You can create a desktop shortcut by right clicking the ModelConverterX.exe file of the program and choosing Copy.  Then right click on the Desktop and choose Paste Shortcut.  Click on the name of the Shortcut until it is highlighted.  Click again and edit the name until it says something like ModelConverterX.

2.  The other thing that is required is to have the FSX (or relevant P3D) SDK properly installed, and you are able to create an MDL file from within ModelConverterX.  If are converting to FSX and you do not own the Deluxe version of FSX that has the SDK in it, then you will need to use the P3D v1.4 SDK, which produces FSX compatible MDL files.  It is beyond the scope of this tutorial to get this process working.  Refer to the FSDeveloper Wiki entries on this subject, and you can ask questions at the GMAX and 3DMax Forum at:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/gmax-and-3ds-max.27/    "

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 04:09:41 PM »
Hi YoYo,

It has been 3 1/2 years ince I worked on the conversion but the above comments are correct in that MCX is a key tool in converting FS9 AI models to FSX / P3D.   Making the conversion involves converting models,  redoing animation, adjusting model part visibilities, bounding box repair after MCX export etc.  Some animations are lost in the process and cannot be recovered other than reconstructing a whole new animation which I did not do.  Here is a fsdeveloper post on the subject:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Converting_AI_aircraft_to_FSX_with_Model_Converter_X#Introduction

As always, it is harder than it looks.  Since you have been a long time user of RTMM, I have an additional  document (written by Gavin Cole) that I am willing to send you  which would be very helpful  to your effort.  I am not authorized to publicly post the document and as far as I know it was never published.  I would be happy to send a copy to you for your own personal use if you would like to PM me with your email address.

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 06:10:02 PM »
Your the best Rod. Thanks sir.

YoYo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 03:39:45 AM »
Thank You for all! Now I know where to go and try it. :D
MSFS is pretty nice but.... still too boring for me due lack of nice addons and historics sceneries. FSX/P3D is a winner with this (still) ;).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:42:35 AM by YoYo »

YoYo

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 05:36:59 PM »
Id like to back with report.
This doc sent by Rod helps me a lot. I did Conversion of more than 30 models to P3Dv5 standard and now everything works ok with AI traffic. I fixed some of animation and textures. No more CTD with traffic from Vietnam War Project.

I did also conversion of 11 airfields for P3Dv5 till now from this project (with new static DC-3/C-47). Im still learning of ADE but my knowledge is growing. Even if I did all of them, I would still have to ask the author (from 2010) if I can publish it, but it's over 100 airports so a long way ;).

I would also like to add some permanent big effects of smoke and fights (fire) in various places on Vietnam map but I can't find anything like that in their library.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:38:42 PM by YoYo »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 08:12:24 PM »
Looking good. The original author is Xavier Carre' who used to be involved with us here at RTMM.

YoYo

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:02 AM »
Looking good. The original author is Xavier Carre' who used to be involved with us here at RTMM.

Is it any way to contact with Xavier Carré or Jacques Godfrin? This mail from his old project doesnt work anymore. I also can't find them on Facebook, or I don't know which ones. ???

Pleiku AFB is ready too.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
No sorry we don't have any contact with Xavier here anymore either unfortunately.