Author Topic: MSFS2020  (Read 3848 times)

xxd09

MSFS2020
« on: January 29, 2021, 06:04:01 AM »
I am having a real job escaping from MSFS2030
The scenery is amazing and Addons come thick and fast-everyday!
I am sure satiation will occur at some point but not anytime soon
XPlane and P3Dv5 lie quiet and unused
Am I alone or is this general phenomenon?
xxd09

kaha

Re: MSFS2020
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
Many feel like you do. I don't. Still flying most of my time in P3D. Aeroplane simulation to me is more important than scenery. Once A2A, Milviz, Majestic or FSLabs and PMDG release in depth simulated birds I maybe will spend more time in MSFS.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 05:05:55 PM »
Half and half here. I do run conventional (non-MSFS) sims (and airport/waypoint database) for MFC tour creations and am current in flying the excursions. Aircraft handling is better, but can't beat the graphics in MSFS2020.  I fly with a few international flight groups that use convention sims and with two others that have gone to MSFS. So about "even steven" right now.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
My usage is about  90 - 10 in favor of MSFS over P3D.  In general, I believe it depends on what drives your interest in flying a sim.  Kaha stated, "Aeroplane simulation to me is more important than scenery."  For me, it is the opposite.  I have only regularly used a handful of aircraft in the last 25 years.   My main interest is scenery (as realistic as possible), flight planning including learning about the areas I fly over and using the avionics etc. to navigate while flying specific flight plans using Air Traffic Control AI. 

When I tried out MSFS, it was so unfinished in many areas, that I was an instant doubter.  However, once I got into the air and experienced some of the scenery around the world, I was hooked.  There were so many visual improvements to the scenery that I knew right away that P3D would never catch up.  Just the fact that grassy areas have 3D grass everywhere should you land on remote grass strip or in some field is amazing!  So I began spending all my time making the experience using MSFS as comfortable for me as it was flying in P3D.  That has taken a lot of effort but is now paying off.   

I focused on the Cessna 172SP (I like low and slow flight using analog instruments) and began learning that aircraft.  Since I have a rudimentary home cockpit, I then focused much of my time adapting controls and "home cockpit" start up procedures so that I would be as comfortable operating in MSFS as I had been operating in P3D.   

Beginning with some fancy programming on my programmable yoke and throttle system, I slowly adapted most of my P3D add-on avionic components.  I even acquired a significant upgrade  to my old GPS style of control in P3D.  Today I feel almost equally comfortable in the MSFS "cockpit" as I did in P3D.  I miss the "slew" cheat a bit but I do like the drone which I can control using my programmable yoke system almost as well as using a game controller. 

As far as scenery add-ons go, I only use Orbx distributed add-ons and a handful of specialized freeware add-ons (e.g. GNS530 enhancements, tree-distance-draw fix etc.).   This helps ensure that I don't get caught in the glitches that can occur when adding lots of 3rd party sceneries that haven't been tested to all play nice together in MSFS.

There are many, many beautiful areas around the world in MSFS that far surpass P3D, but unfortunately, Southern Alaska isn't one of them.  Maybe someday in a 2nd or 3rd World Update for US in the future, as Asobo has mentioned in some videos, Alaska will be improved.  For now, I use P3D if I occasionally want to fly in Alaska.

In order to be fully caught up to my P3D "home cockpit" experience, I still want ATC voice recognition which is not provided by MSFS default.   In P3D, I used VoxATC but that has not yet been updated for MSFS. So, I may have to look at using a different app like Pilot2ATC instead until VoxATC is released for MSFS (if ever).  For now I use the default MSFS ATC system which still allows me to choose (not speak) my own responses and quickly enter the proper comms frequencies and transponder code as required before acknowledging ATC requests since it is done automatically when I acknowledge if I haven't entered the info first.

Now on to continue sightseeing around the world.   See quick pic below of my home cockpit.

Rod

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:22:31 AM »
Your cockpit has been enhanced and looks very nice.  I also like the scenery that MSFS brings.  It has really improved since alpha 1.  I still fly in SE Alaska and miss your waterfront at Ketchikan.  I spend a lot of my time working with Jan de Jong creating maritime traffic.  Perhaps Asobo will do something with the effects.  My aircraft preference is the 172 with steam gauges.  I also fly some from KJZI at Charleston, SC where I spent my younger years.  The default scenery there is fairly accurate.  While there, I usually fly IFR (roads & rivers)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »
Great thread here. I'm still using P3D right now. (My previous video card, Titan X, took a dump and thanks to Dex, I have a temporary fix for that in place.) I haven't taken the plunge yet on MSFS. Although it's very tempting right now.

I've been spending time in P3D currently enjoying the ORBX Australia v2 and OZx combination that still looks good to me for now.

I'll continue to wait and watch from the sideline on the progress of the new sim and eventually get it.

Thanks for sharing your insight and experiences,

Brad

xxd09

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 06:41:04 PM »
I miss my Milviz panes in P3Dv5- not one has migrated-well perhaps a fighter plane
I worry now that I may not see them from a long time
The pressure on developers via MSFS 2020 must be immense-how spoiled we were!
Having said that new developers are there with new planes, liveries and flight plans in MSFS 2020 -so it can be done but for reasons beyond my pay grade the usual developers are not there yet-Microsoft?
Flight simming continues to be an unbeatable hobby
xxd09

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
Great setup Rod.. looks pretty!! And the physical controls, multi panels/switch panels etc add so much, nice job.

(Sorry xxd09 but not fond of most of those Milviz planes, some of which did work ok in P3Dv4.. but little or no support when paying customers had problems). (and nada of them got developed for use in P3Dv5!- so they are a wee bit late to that party).

So now there is MSFS.. and only a few planes can be flow with any type of realism.. but hopefuly A2A might get into the picture soon.

kaha

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 08:10:00 AM »
My usage is about  90 - 10 in favor of MSFS over P3D....

I hear you, Rod. And also for me having aeroplane simulation AND nice overall scenery in one sim would be the best. But as long as RTMM is not in MSFS I will still fly in P3D.

When I, as an example,  fly Just Flights Canberra, I don't need scenery at all, I just need two runways for start and landing. That bird is so rewarding to fly.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »
Amazing Rod!

For me no turning back...
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 12:11:11 PM »
I am the same these days. MSFS more and more. (Only fly the other sim these days when flying MFC tour flights as the Cigar Box ACARS is not functional for use in MSFS).  At all other times I'm in MSFS2020- and fly all over the world (usually on (but not limited to) the USA-East Server in MSFS.

(My user name Nbrich1- send a friend request if you might want to fly together sometime). 

(Brian Smith and a few others (on the flightsim.to site) have created, built and shared some very interesting locations in Alaska and BC for MSFS2020 which takes us back to some real bushy flying alike RTMM location does FSX/P3D).

Norm

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 07:01:14 PM »
For what it's worth, I just completed a flight in MSFS with Cigar Box working....so there is more hope.  I agree, there has to be more than the C-172 and I really don't like it with the glass radios. But the scenery seems solid and when using Sky Vector Charts, VFR, the renditions are very very good.  There is a long ways to go and if there is enough support, over the next few years, this well may be the standard in sims.Of course that means a lot of work at RTMM from those that know how to make scenery work......in another sim!!!

Henry

Har336

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 11:24:41 AM »
Wow. Very excited you got Cigar box to work with MSFS 2020. Can you share how does it work? Is this something everyone can manage or more for the experts?

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
Its easy....just download the LATEST version of FSUIPC, I use the paid version, but the free one should work fine to make the connection.  The sim can be started with a .bat file but there are times you will have to restart FSUIPC....not a biggie.  Start Cigar Box and fly.....Disable the auto save (it will freeze the sim).  You may want to fly non tours, if so, use the Charter option.  The pirep will show errors when filing, don't worry it will file within a few seconds.

Problems, just post em,

Henry

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 12:29:48 PM »
I agree with you Rod.  If you are flying with the mind set of a real pilot flying in the bush....then you will only fly a few airplanes.  Operators just can't afford a fleet.  That's the reason the Beaver and Otters have been so successful.  Most of the bush pilots that operated during the beginning of bush flying, flew VFR...no auto pilot, no GPS, they followed the landscape to their out of the way cabins and hunting spots.

So given that, I place lots of value on flight physics and keep looking for scenery that matches the sectional chart.  MSFS delivers on being able to really fly by the seat of your pants.  So far the Free Goose, fly's heavy and realistic....with no working radios at the moment, you have to navigate by time speed and distance....get out your flight calculator! (Yes, I have a pilots license w/ instrument and glider ratings)

Some were put off by cost, but unless you fly tubes (Jets) only the basic version is required.  You can buy a BlackBox L-19, or use the free Cub....I suggest the free Goose.  It looks like MSFS is a one time cost....users that signed on early with P3d now have 5 versions @ about $50.00 per version. 

It appears that scenery is easier to do within the sim using the SDK, and there are now several hundred sites over the world.  While there are few "bush" airplanes now, several are in the works, and I only need a couple.

I am not a fan of Microsoft, and I never dreamed that they would release anything but a game, but they did.  Even the weather works although I might invest in Rex or see if Pilots come out with something.....and weather is very subjective .....I like to see the nice scenery from 2500 feet but I like the realism of weather.....and you might not be able to fly today because you are socked in!

What I don't under stand is the pilot who gets a big jet, flys across the ocean on autopilot starting about bed time and getting up in the morning to land and then brag about how much time they have.  To me, flying by hand, keeping you altitude + - 50 feet heading within =- 10 degrees and navigating by pilotage is FLYING....the only reason to use an autopilot is if you can't hand fly for the time required but there is the Pause button!!!

But everyone enjoys sim flying differently.  As long as you enjoy what you do and don't get bored, then that's the right approach for YOU.  Right now, MSFS is a much needed "shot in the arm" for the sim community.  We are talking about it, people are creating stuff for it and more people are flying.....all good.

Rod, your home cockpit is wonderful.  With that rig, VFR flying should be about as realistic as you can have.

Enjoy your next flight!

Henry