Author Topic: Group flying in MSFS  (Read 3746 times)

kaha

Group flying in MSFS
« on: December 28, 2020, 04:53:13 AM »
Got my headset! How do you use it? I mean:

- which configuration do you make in the sim?
- which configuration in Windows?

I'm "kaha300d" in MSFS.

How do we manage the time differences? Would be nice to know the differences of those who will fly in a group.
The time in Austria is now UTC+1

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Group flying in MSFS
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
 I am UTC-5 during the winter months as I believe Norm is.  As far as Microphone and Speaker.  A lot depends on if you have a built in audio aor sound manager or not. Right click icons on the bottom right of the taskbar to see if there is one or more speaker icons.   Right click on each if more than one.  One of them should say Sound Settings as a drop down choice when you right click.  You can use that choice to verify your mic is working.

Norm may have additional advice.  Then you will need a VOIP app like Discord.   Norm can talk more to that.

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »
Well ok. 

Firstly will send you "kaha300d" a friend request - My tag is "nbrich1" you will see it.  MSFS2020 has a neat feature that you can see (and go to/follow) friends on the world globe. If you see and want to get to them,  click on them (set as departure)on the world globe in 2020 and select "FLY" and voila you appear at/near the location where they are. (If you have name tags on in the MSFS2020 menu, you can see the tags of those flying as well as airports and POI in the vacinity).   

To add friend or see added friends go to the one person Icon just left of your name in MSFS2020.

(You'll also see a notification - (in the notification icaon - cause I sent you a friend request).

MSFS2020 status:  If you click on your name - you will see your on/offline status.

Busy
Away

Firstly make sure you are Online.

Below that is the the various multi servers:
EAST USA
WEST USA
NORTH EUROPE
WEST EUROPE
SOUTH-EAST ASIA

The "USA East" server seems to be the most stable and least uninterrupted so I have set 2020 to use this server. BUT there are a few various servers (This is a network or multi server - gives ability to see those if they are on the same multi-server).

Now there is a gambit of 2020 scheduled flights. The official MSFS2020 forum has a calendar of scheduled events - flight activities and group flights: usually with details of the flight, when, what MSFS2020 Multi server, what type of comms.  Mostly these are various comms servers are on Discord.

I fly on some of these plus a couple of other groups that don't show up on the official calendar.

But first here is the MSFS2020 official site:
MSFS2020 Official site: (Should be able to sign in to this site with the same sign on as your windows sign on.)

There is lots of details on this site from the updates to video/media to FAQ to the forums which is full of info including community events etc.

There is an official MSFS2020 Event Calendar: : for fly-ins and various group events

LINK: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/community/community-fly-in-events/143/l/calendar

Click on the event and the details of that event opens: which usually includes: The flight details, when, UTC time, a route - ICAOs. Most events also offer a flight plan that can be loaded into 2020, the comms server link/address (usually on discord) for voice comms (headset), the estimated duration of the flight and the suitable aircraft.   

If you note the calendar you will notice that today there is a Japanese Islands group flight event.
World Tour Stage 33 - Japanese Islands - X-Cub - Open that item to view all the details of the group flight.

Shows date/time (Duration: 3:00 (Start 19:30z UTC+0)... (I am in eastern time so 14:30 for me (UTC-5)
for you it's 20:30 local time. 

Route: Airports: RODN, RORE, RORY, RJKB, RJKN, RJKA, RJKI
Aircraft: X-Cub

Server Stuff:
Comms: World Tour 32 Community Event (https://discord.com/invite/msfs 7)
Server: West Europe
Settings: All Players, Live Traffic, Live Weather (GameTime 06:00 UTC)
Flight:
Airports: RODN, RORE, RORY, RJKB, RJKN, RJKA, RJKI
Aircraft: X-Cub
Duration: 3:00 (Start 19:30z UTC+0)
Other:
Purpose: Flying around the world in light aircraft, flying through the Japanese Islands starting from Okinawa
Group: All welcome, be sensible I enjoy flying not being silly in F16

This is just one example. There are usually a few events per day.

Now you' will need Discord (software version is best but also can use a simpler browser version)
Discord: LINK: https://discord.com/     

While you are at it, put on teamspeak (another comms setup. Simple and easy and some use teamspeak for comms for some events: fhttps://www.teamspeak.com/en/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok if we were doing our own flight event or group flights in 2020 - have two comms servers:

Discord:  MFC Server:  (Several text/info rooms and several voice comms rooms for general chat to group events:     LINK/Invite: https://discord.gg/XvWDbbr

Also have a voice server on Teamspeak
Name: MFC Misty Flying Club-RTMM
Server Address: ts3.digitalthemepark.com
Path - Flight Division/Aviation Groups & Clubs/WFT- We Fly Together/MFC Misty Flying Club-RTMM

(Now this digitalthemepark.com server has an initial security which only takes a moment to set up. (One of 4 admins will authorize, (Or if I'm on, can set you up). But once done, you can navigate anywhere.

This is a lot to grasp.. anyways: things to do:
1. set up/install discord   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and set up your headset-and mic
Add the MFC/RTMM server - https://discord.gg/XvWDbbr

2. set up teamspeak   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and set up your headset-and mic
Add the MFC/RTMM server - ts3.digitalthemepark.com

3. add names/friends in MSFS2020  (so we can tell when our buds are online)

and we'll go from there - we can sure set up our own group flights in MSFS2020 (And/or in our previous sims). 

I fly MSFS2020 on Wednesdays (1900z), (Saturdays 1900z, Sundays when time permits 1700z) and I'm sure all are most welcome if anyone wants in.. Also fly as some of the other MSFS2020 official events. (And also fly in the "old sim" at MFC (After building all the stuff), and also fly in group flights with the old sim with a couple of other non-MSF2020 groups). Can be a busy flyer that's for sure!!. lol.. 

Rod and others might want a piece of this..lol. Robert?  I'm sure we can set up our own events. (We have the tools, that's for sure). 

MSFS2020 IDS:

Karl   -  kaha300d
Norm -  nbrich1
Rod -  stiletto2020
FSRobert?
Steve?
Jeff?
Brad?
Doug?
others?    (and PS Don't need 2020, JOINFS multi-client new version can now also hook 2020 with FSX and P3D)

More as we progress.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:24:45 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
Hi Norm,

Thanks for all the detail.....a lot to digest.    I am currently interested in a  private RTMM group to try out mulitplayer.  I do have Discord ready to go.  My tag is "stiletto2020".  Right now, I only am flying the C172.

I will send friend requests to Karl and you.

Rod
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:44:42 AM by stiletto2 »

kaha

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »
Lots of stuff, thank you Norm. Some questions, though:

It's either Discord or Teamspeak that is necessary, right? Or do I need both?

For using the headphones in MSFS I need to make the headset my standard sound device in Windows 10. In P3D I can switch in the sim. How do you handle this? Have you configured the headset as your standard device? Do you then switch in P3D if you don't use the headset? Or do you switch standard devices in Windows? Or are you always using the headset? If not, do you switch when wathing youtube?

I'm not sure how to best handle that. Never had a headset until now.

Karl

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
You headset and OS should switch as soon as you plug in.. but there are also options in your OS sound system..  FSX/P3D you don't have to switch.. when you plug in the headset (or turn on), it should auto-change the output to your headset and should also auto-set the input levels for your mic input. 

For MSFS2020 make sure your headset is plugged in before you start 2020 and once started you'll be on headset.

Discord for some, (but I fly with 3 other groups (time permitting) that use teamspeak (which is a bit more user friendly) so I have it too).   

In Discord and/or teamspeak you can set them to use a push to talk.. and configure the mic in those apps.. easy and both work just fine.

Most is auto set up Karl. Not a biggie. You get the hang of it real fast.  You should have something like  Realtek HD Audio type manager in your control panel as well as the Sound (Hardware setup) .. but really in w10, most is auto setup.

Should have time in an 1 hour or so - will fire up discord and teamspeak and MSFS2020. (Will add you guys to MSFS2020 list).

kaha

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Thank you, I will try that.

If I switch on my wireless headset nothing changes in regard to the standard audio device. Also plugging in the wireless transceceiver doesn't switch standard from my loudspeakers to the headset.

The headset is a Razer Nari Ultimate.

The video starts with no headset connected. I then plug in the USB transceiver, the headset shows up but the Standard device doesn't change. After that I switch on the headset, but no change.

https://vimeo.com/495263313

I guess I have to switch manually. But that's ok. I make the headset the standard device when group flying.

Karl

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 01:23:05 PM »
I will be on Discord at 1:30 PM EST today.

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 07:36:17 PM »

Well Rod a nice warmup around Concrete. Discord and teamspeak setup and scenery so pretty!!

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »
Hi Norm,

Good flight from Darrington to Concrete and beyond.  Thanks for your help with Teamspeak.  Still looking forward to the Austria tour with Karl.

Rod

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 02:56:36 AM »
The Max players for a privat group in MSFS2020 is 6 friends .

last 2 months i do a ticket to asobo to anlarge the hop ... but no replay ..

that all .
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 06:46:58 AM »
Don't really need a private group.. Set players to ALL and a pilot can see all flyers but actually fly a flight or event with your own group only as they are usually in a common comms).

kaha

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 06:35:27 AM »
I'm probably ready. Teamspeak works, Norm and Rod are visible for me in MSFS.

If I happen to see one of you in MSFS during the next days I will try to connect and make contact.

Karl

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:09:17 AM »
Sounds good Karl will watch for you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:11:18 AM by nbrich1 »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 08:19:50 AM »
Me too!

Rod