Author Topic: Freeze and CTD Woes  (Read 2929 times)

jstanbro

Freeze and CTD Woes
« on: December 16, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
Hi!

I just finished re-installing FSX-SE since I was getting tired of long loading times and frequent crashes.  I have FS Global 2010, the ORBX regions required for RTMM, Tongas X, just finished installing the RTMM Complete Setup #1 and the three ORBX airports mentioned in the documentation for the RTMM master file.

I am running Windows 10 on a 10-year-old Jetline rig that was a real beast in her day.

Anyway, I took of from PAKT (Tour #10, leg 1) in the default C172 and as I passed Nina's Landing the engine sound got strangely quiet, then the simulator froze.  It kind of sat there staring at me for a minute or two and then CTD.  I'm a little bummed out. I had this kind of problem with the old install, which is why I deleted and re-installed everything.

Does anybody know how to fix this?  I'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
Jerry

"The hardest thing about flying is the ground." - Charles Kingford-Smith

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Freeze and CTD Woes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:43:05 PM »
The first thing to do is to look at your Windows Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application and determine the time of the CTD. You should hopefully be able to see what issue or module that caused the crash. Post back what you find. There are a large number of issues that could be responsible. Sometimes it's like finding a needle in a haystack however.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
The first thing to do is to look at your Windows Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application and determine the time of the CTD. You should hopefully be able to see what issue or module that caused the crash. Post back what you find. There are a large number of issues that could be responsible. Sometimes it's like finding a needle in a haystack however.
I'd like to add that you should turn on the debugging features of your sim, and see what messages it has to offer.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »
What debugging features are those?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »
In the options menu, Application page.  Under Error Reporting are two checkboxes to enable Scenario or Content error reporting.  I believe it is available in FSX and P3D.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
Not applicable to FSX or FSX SE. The OP uses FSX SE.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jstanbro

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 05:27:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!  I've found the Windows Event Viewer but I haven't figured it out yet.  Haven't found any debugging though, as yet.

Thanks again,
Jerry
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground." - Charles Kingford-Smith