Author Topic: Spam  (Read 5924 times)

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
Spam
« on: November 24, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
As you've probably seen, the spammers are back at it and registering with bots to spam the forum.   I'm setting up ban rules to counter this, but it takes time.   

I'm also removing anything they post and deleting the accounts, but it should go without saying to NEVER click on any links they post or any links in their signatures.

If it continues to be a problem, I will be temporarily be disabling registration until I can resolve the issue.

Dan

Re: Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 10:52:48 AM »
I have cleaned up the spam, banned the accounts, and adjusted registration filters to help stop this. 

I'll continue to monitor this, and if it continues, I'll be making registration require manual approval.  This of course creates a different type of headache for me, so I'll obviously be looking into further measures to prevent the bots from registering an account in the first place.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Thanks, Dan, for your quick action!  Good job!

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 12:27:26 PM »
Yep, some spammer was busy earlier today.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Dan

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 12:32:45 AM »
I'm seeing an increase of spammer accounts registering again for some reason.  I'm banning/deleting as I see them, hopefully before they can post.   

As always, please be careful when clicking any links in the forum from people you don't trust.  Internet 101. 

Thank you to those who continually report them!  I think Jeff might have the all-time record on reported posts so far, I'll have to see it I can tally it up somehow.   ;D

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 10:38:03 PM »
Thanks, Dan.

Rod

Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 07:01:46 AM »
I'm seeing numerous registrations daily from russian IP addresses, all of them linking to probable malware in their forum signatures and posts.  Who knows what they're posting/linking in their first posts before we delete them, so it goes without saying DO NOT click on it.

Even though I've changed up the registration criteria/questions, they're still registering.     If this continues, I will be making forum account creation admin-approval only.   

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
That sounds like a good idea, Dan.  That would stop them from getting on the site for sure.   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

kaha

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 10:23:34 AM »
Is this because the site got increased attention after introducing RTMM for MSFS? Admin approval surely is more work but might be the right decision.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Dan

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
Is this because the site got increased attention after introducing RTMM for MSFS? Admin approval surely is more work but might be the right decision.

Karl
It started before, so I don't think it's the exact cause.   It's certainly frustrating though.

Dan

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
New forum accounts now require admin approval until further notice. 

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 11:37:04 AM »
Good decision!  Thanks, Dan.

Rod

Dan

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 09:32:50 PM »
It's already prevented 4 spammer accounts from getting in.   It's a pain and requires continual effort, but until I come up with an alternative solution, this is how it's going to have to be.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 05:05:02 AM »
Thank you Dan. Frustrating I'm sure but we'd be DOA if it wasn't for your efforts to keep things working and safe.

Much appreciated,

Brad

Dan

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 11:55:57 PM »
Had over 1100 bot accounts sign up today alone.  Not sure what their fascination is with our little corner of the internet, but the manual approval process is keeping them out for now.    It's not a sustainable process though, as it takes time to go through and deny all of them.     

Out of the dozen or so accounts I've approved recently, only one ended up actually being a spammer and was promptly banned and deleted.

I'd like to reiterate, never click on links in the forum from people you don't trust, especially users with only a few posts.   Also, if you get a suspicious personal message on the forums from a new account that you don't know, let me know about it.  I want to make sure they're not spamming via PMs as well.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:59:24 PM by Dan »