Author Topic: Graphics Card Upgrade  (Read 4498 times)

kaha

Re: Graphics Card Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 03:27:12 AM »
Steve, don't get rid of FSX, you always can have it in parallel to P3D or MSFS.

I think there is a possibility to test MSFS for a month using the subscription for a few bucks.

I'm not 100% sure if the much better graphics of MSFS will be enough to make P3D obsolete in long term. What if, after 2 CEO changes, MS decides to stop the MSFS project in, let's say, 6 years from now? They probably will also stop streaming and then we have nothing left at all.
What if the work on the console XBox will dominate the content development of that sim? Will it ever be suitable for us except looking at the beutiful scenery? Maybe yes.

Something my happen to P3D as well, but there you have what you've got and can continue to fly. Already now V4.5 is a stable platform used by many simmers.

Anyway, you are not in a hurry. As Norm said, MSFS is far away from being an alternative to P3D or FSX for the real simmer.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

scanham

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 11:51:30 AM »
Thanks guys,  that’s really good advice and something to think about.

I’ll plan on keeping FSX-SE and I’m kind of leaning toward MSFS as my second sim.
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
Hi Steve,

As I mentioned before,  I run my three 22 inch monitors at 5295 X 1050 in nVidia surround using a RTX 2080 and the same CPU and main memory as you.   It runs pretty well in MSFS.   When in surround, I try to keep my FPs in the low to mid 20s by controlling FPS.  I use mostly high settings (one step below Ultra) and it looks great.  If I don't control FPS the system will run at 30 - 35 FPS or more, if it can, but there is more stress on the 2080 demonstrated by temeratures approaching 85C (it throttles at 89).  I am comfortable with 20 - 25 FPS so I try to keep the FPS at that level and save the strain on the RTX 2080. 

Since MSFS is really not yet optimized for multi screen, there is some zoom distortion on the left and right screens though I stay zoomed a bit to minimize that.   MSFS seems to run at about .50 zoom factor when compared to FSX/P3D's zoom scale.   Also, the enlarged lights at night (halo.bmp) issue exists, when in Surround,  and can't be adjusted, as far as I know, via a halo.bmp mod like in FSX.   This is also due to the lack of full multi-monitor support.  It is important to note that full multi-monitor support is on MSFS's list of fixes in progress.   

MSFS is my second sim along with P3Dv5.  I also have P3Dv3 and v4 but don't really use them.  The visuals in MSFS just keep me coming back.....the view is so realistic in the majority of scenes.

Rid

scanham

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »
Okay I joined Xbox Game Pass for PC.  $1 for a month trial.

Installed MSFS 2020 Standard.  It runs well with setting on “High End”.  In fact, smoother than FSX, although with many addons.  I am amazed! 

Still have my FSX-SE with room to spare.

I can buy MSFS now at a discount and then cancel Game Pass.

Trying to decide which version to buy: Standard, Deluxe or Premium Deluxe.

THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS WITH YOUR HELP!

Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
Hi Steve,

Glad it is working well for you.  In deciding which version to buy, make sure you reveiw the aircraft carefully.  I got the Premium deluxe just so I could fly the C172 with analog instruments. 

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 08:43:07 PM »
Did the exact same thing Rod.. went to the premium-deluxe just to have the 172 with analog gauges..  (Not fond of the glass cockpits!).. also get a few more enhanced airports!!
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^