Author Topic: It's growing on me - like the need for a root filling does...  (Read 2804 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
It's growing on me - like the need for a root filling does...
« on: September 24, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »
Msfs 2020 that is.

Darn that sim is annoying! Worse than the tax man. Making repaints is easy enough for many people because they are happy just changing the colours of the "decals" and likewise adding the pretty but simple to do airliner liveries. But when it comes down to "Eagleskinnering" it starts to get complicated. One of may favourite liveries has always been the American flag fluttering down the sides of a fuselage. Remember this? I did it for the A2A C182 - the second one below it is the result of hours and hours of fiddling with the flag split over 16 different parts of the wireframe (so far) and I have only just covered the front half of the fuselage.

But the learning curve doesn't just end with locating the split lines on the model - has anyone seen the fun and joy involved with creating an repaint set of folders in msfs 2020? Deep joy!

Still - I do think the third party devs that I am speaking to (and who are still listening) are making more logically structured texture sheets.

Anyway, the two lower specimen images are very much w-i-p, but I am getting there, so doing a mod for Misty shouldn't be too difficult once we get some decent aircraft on offer.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:44:36 PM by One-Eye »
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: It's growing on me - like the need for a root filling does...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
Wowser!   Looks beautiful!

Rod

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »
Definitely looks neat!! Great work! But 2020 might be a very confusing sim to eagle skin!!  A few say it's very brutal and confusing try to make liveries in/for msfs2020.

I don't know what's good yet for planes in 2020..  (just got msfs2020 the other day). Hear that Carenado has released their mooney m20 ovation and a c182.. g1000!!! Arg..

Looks like a few nice analog props but no floats or amphibians in 2020 yet except that icon a5..!!

Best of luck trying to eagle skin for this new sim... We can be your beta testers.. I have two ayes! Lol

Norm
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:41:17 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »
Well, it's definitely better to have teeth extracted than do the default C172. At least a couple of Ibuprofen remove the pain of extracted teeth. First pic below should show just how many sections of the texture sheet need butting up to match the "stripes" More to the point - some of the wire mesh areas are at different scales to others and the angles between one piece and the adjoining section are all skewed beyond belief.

Aaaarrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

At least the sun's glare hides a load of sins...
All the best,

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »
Gotta be that multi segment "yank" flag that is so complex to do in 2020.  Wow looks like very intricate work..
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

kaha

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Someone should develop a 3D-paint software you can load that naked plane into and paint it. As you paint on the model the software then transfers your brush strokes from the x, y an z coordinates to the u and v coordinates of the texture.

The software would have to read the .mdl file of the plane, though.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 02:48:02 AM »
That's already been done Karl - The modelers can do it with their 3D models during the build and I think that may be why the Asobo models use the decal system of adding liveries. You can add a texture to the mdl quite easily apparently. but it also means you could never really make freeware liveries anymore - you've seen the price of some of these modeling programs? Oh, and you can create those horizontal lines that wrap around the fuselage ends on the 3D mdl - I vaguely recal a program called FSRepaint - I used that to generate the multiple thin lines along a PA 31 rear fuselage.

Although... Blender is GNU software and I used Blender to extract the wireframes. I wonder if I could pour a bucket of paint into the Blender.... something for another lifetime perhaps?

One-Eye exit stage left, thinking arcane thoughts...
All the best,