Author Topic: New Guinea Bush Flights  (Read 3432 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
New Guinea Bush Flights
« on: September 12, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »
I have not been very impressed with the "bush" flights that MS2020 offers. All three of them are rather boring and I don't believe are done nearly as well as most of our TripTics ... disappointing.  However, I did find something you might enjoy if you want to see some rough/beautiful landscape and encounter nearly impossible airports to land upon safely.

The is a fellow named Mike Fog on YouTube that is flying these. I watch his video, then I make the plan and fly it myself. The one discussed here is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCPUizIZM1Y&t=8s

The flight planner for FS2020 is not ready for prime time, so when you try to set this up, you will get a "shuffled" routing. The airports are Departure: AYPE ... then AYHJ, AYMI, AYGA, AYII, AYEN and Arrival: AYUC.  If you try to put in the departure and arrival, then use the "ADD" the route will be shuffled. To get things into the correct order, save the (screwy) plan that 2020 makes.  Then open that PLN file in NotePad and with copy/paste put the airports in the proper order for the route. Then LOAD the saved NOTEPAD PLN file and you will have the correct route in FS2020. Your VFR map should look like the attached.

To save you some time, put in the Departure: AYPE and the Arrival:" AYUC and SAVE IT. Then download my PLN file (attached here). Now rename MY file name: New Guinea FoX 2.PLN to the name you have chosen. Copy my renamed file into where your MS2020 flight plans are and paste over the plan you made.  Now go load the flight in 2020, and it will be all set up to fly for you.

For the novice pilots among us (like me) ... in the ASSISTANCE section, be sure to turn your Routes and Waypoints to "ON" and also the LANDING PATH to "ON". This will help you find the tiny airports and the landing path will give you a clue as to how to approach them. Also when flying one of these where you are landing at the waypoints, use the ATC, call up your next airport as you get closer, announce the runway and your position, and the "landing path" will show up for you.

I haven't been able yet to pull in the 2020 database into Little NavMap (if anybody knows how let me know). So you will not find most of these little airports if your Little NavMap is using FSX or P3D data. But the VFR map in 2020 should show this new plan for you nicely and help you navigate to the "next" one. Good luck.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:34:41 PM by Doug »

kaha

Re: New Guinea Bush Flights
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
If you own AYPY from ORBX in P3D, which includes many bush strips in PNG, then you will definitely enjoy those strps also in vanilla MSFS.

Those strips and the ones you mentioned, Doug, are content of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Knife-Edge-Guinea-Pilot-ebook/dp/B00XJYYL90

A very nice read.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Doug

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:40:45 PM »
Thank you, I’ll take a look at that book. Appreciate the info Karl.

D

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
Wow,Doug. That looks like waaay too much trouble. I really appreciate you mods doing all this ground work for the new sim but I, for one, have lost interest in it already. With what we have with RTMM and ORBX I don't see any reason to even consider it. But I sure do appreciate you guys checking it out in advance. But that's why we pay you the big bucks, right? Hello? You still there? Haha.

Thanks, Doug.

Jsapair
Jsapair

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:20 PM »
Just use little nav map to create a properly routed fp, save, then use "load" in 2020. Done. (Can also use any fp/map utility to build the FP). Little nav map can load the airport database for p3dv5 which should be the latest used in fs2020, or seems to be, and little nav map also can recognize the user aircraft in msfs2020.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doug

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
That works fine except the database in Little NavMap are from FSX and or P3D. The airports in this route are in FS2020 only, so they don’t show up in Little NavMap, you have to use the 2020 planner (which shuffles the route).

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »
Thanks for the Photo of the flight plan. I should be able to remove and add the points needed. Looking forward to the adventure.

I found using the Cub Crafter or better yet the the Kitfix which is a payware STOL aircraft that can be purchased in the MSFS store for around 10 bucks and start at  C53 Loon Creek and using the “ nearest airport function with the map and follow the arrows to the nearest landing strip or USFS landing areas and airports is a challenge and fun and really can test your bush piloting skills.

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Doug

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
I’m using the 152. Mike uses the 208, I learned why last night. These airports are high altitude and are sloped. Last night I found myself stopped at the upper end of the runway, high end, pointed toward the high end. I then hit the power to turn it around and go down the runway for take off . It would not go forward, not enough power. So I used CTRL-P to back up and turn. The 152 doesn’t turn going backwards. Went down the length of the runway looking for a flat spot...there were none. Had to restart from there. Moral to the story, you need power at altitude. The 152 doesn’t have it.

kaha

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »
I fly PNG bush strips in the 172 analog.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 04:13:01 AM »
Wait a couple of days Alex working on LNM ...
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »
What is LNM ?
Keep The FSFaith People

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »
What is LNM ?

Little Navmap is a free open source flight planner, navigation tool, moving map, airport search and airport information system for Flight Simulator X, FlightSimulator - Steam Edition, Prepar3D v2 to v5 and X-Plane 11 (and being further developed for use in MSFS2020). (One of the best out there.
(Developer's name is Alex Albar) (He resides in Germany):

Site Link: https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

Little NavMap Support Forum at Avsim):
Link: https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/780-little-navmap-little-navconnect-little-logbook-support-forum/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:53:27 PM by nbrich1 »

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »
Norm, you are the best thanks my friend.

I never have used it...yet!  :)

Keep The FSFaith People

Doug

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
Keep in mind, for P3D I have every location pinned in LNM.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
It's a great planner for sure.. and Doug marked it all up with way points (in his RTMM Waypoints program), or it you have the RTMM Add-on for v4 or v5 you will find a csv file in the Docs folder (RTMM Way points Documentation). Just uploaded into Little Navmap and the way points will be listed.

Now another great program, as most will k now, Plan G (Tim Arnot), Works with FSX-through P3Dv4 (and v5) but needs almost a complete rework to be able to capture the P3Dv5 airport database.. but he is working on it! But other than the P3Dv4 airport database in Plan G, it still can be used with P3Dv5x.

But the biggest news at Plan G is a new alpha release of Plan G (32bit or 64 bit) (ver 221) for use with MSFS2020.  LINK: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=13.0

Lots of tools out there.

I have used plan G to create many RTMM trips/tours etc, especially when Dieter has created many csv files which contain/plot many RTMM locations (Airports as well as various RTMM POI's) in plan G.
see (Dieter's Corner). 

When I get MSFS2020 (in a couple of weeks) will give all this stuff a try.