Author Topic: X52-POV HAT control  (Read 1927 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
X52-POV HAT control
« on: September 01, 2020, 12:04:14 PM »
Using the "hat" on a stick to suddenly turn 90 degrees left or right, sort of takes-away what the POV switch is for. There is a way to be able to set up the hat so it works to PAN, both in the cockpit and external. For anyone interested, the settings are below. Again, this is for an X52, but I'm guessing the same settings would work on many different "hat" switches. (Remember, when you are trying to assign (bind) these, you have to change from "assigned" to "all" or you won't see many of the potential settings). Hope this saves time for someone. Now it works like it did in P3D and FSX!

Doug

kaha

Re: X52-POV HAT control
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »
And you can even use the 45° buttons on the hat switch for left-down, left-up, right-down and right-up.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:55:46 PM »
Smooth panning via a hat switch seems to only be available if you have a game pad.  Can you tell where this game is headed?  I understand that moving the drone cam aroound is a dream with a game pad.  Unfortunately, I don't have one since I am not a gamer.

Rod

kaha

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:52:18 AM »
Also I do not have a game pad.

Does tis mean I'm not a gamer but a serious simmer?

:D

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Doug

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 09:03:48 AM »
Rod. I am getting the same smooth panning with the hat in 2020 just like I got in P3D,  both for the cockpit and external cameras.   You don't need the other game controller.  The settings I gave make it happen.  Im going to see if I can make it happen with the drone camera next.   

2020 was obviously set up default-wise for the upcoming X-Box.  But the controls the simmers are used to are all there, they just are not obvious, and in many cases almost purposely hidden.  (Having the options you get out if the box as "assigned" that X-Box would use and the ones you need for the sim in the "all" (hidden) group is an example). The major feature they screwed up was slew. And that is in their fix list. Note also you cannot type in a waypoint or ICAO code even on the generic G1000 which always had that feature.  More proof this was constructed for X-Box rather than a simmer's PC with a keyboard.  (I added that at the Zen Desk).

The SDK object placement process is an absolute mess. Totally counter-intuitive.  I have literally spent days on it and cannot get it to work.  Dan is messing with it and making some progress,  but he also says it is a process that makes no sense and is itself buggy.  If we had an IS3 for 2020, then we could make some things happen for the RTMM area,  and I'm betting someone is working on one. With very few objects, we could easily put in the USFS cabins.  That would be great to search for them in this scenery.  But something as simple as that is, as of now, beyond reach.  Their objects in SDK are mostly about airports.  So our objects would gave to be created from scratch.

I believe,  a couple of years from now with a GREAT DEAL of input from 3rd party developers that this will be a go-to sim.  But right now for simmers,  it is something that never should gave been promoted out of beta.  It is good enough for a game with X-Box, but far from prime time for real simmers.

The good news is that there are third party screwballs like us that will look at this not as a finished project,  but rather just the next challenge in the simming journey.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »
Hi Doug,

Interestingly enough, I missed your original post in this thread.  I will take a look at those settings.    What I really need is full screen capability which , crazily enough, doesn't exist in MSFS2020.   Normally, I don't fly with a cockpit on the screen since I have a home cockpit with instruments on other screens etc.  Once the SimConnect bug is fixed in th upcoming patch, I will be able to use my scondary instrument displays and GoFlight hardware (partially) and won't need the instrument display in the cockpit.  Then it will be more comfortable seeing the world.

Rod

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
Hi Doug,

I put in your POV settings for Cockpit Camera and External and they work well.   It is much better than the default.  Thanks!  Looked at Drone Camera settings and it looks like one would need two "hats" for 6 degree control which I don't have.  It will be intereseting to see what you find out.

Rod

Doug

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »
Hi ... under OPTIONS/General/Display Mode ... gives you windowed vs full screen, does that work for you?

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »
I mean a screen without a cockpit in it.  Sorry for not being clear.

Rod

Doug

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »
Yes, that is needed. I wondered if we could somehow "trick" the camera to be in front of the plane looking away from it?  I've tried to run the Bush Trips (and they aren't, they are simply cross-country), and with the cockpit in the way, it is really difficult to see the landmarks they are using for guidance. I gave up on them.  Our TripTics with the pictures etc blew these away.