Author Topic: Impressions of the Logitech/Saitek Flight Yoke System?  (Read 3024 times)

kronovan

Impressions of the Logitech/Saitek Flight Yoke System?
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »
The very 1st Saitek Throttle quadrant I owned throttled it's last engine about a year ago. I'm not disappointed by it's performance, because it lasted 5 years of fairy regular use. I liked it enough to buy another, which is still functioning fine.

I no longer find it fun to fly my 2 engine props and dearly miss them - especially the Aerosoft Twin Otter. That's got me looking for a new throttle quadrant, but the low cost Saitek quadrants are sold out at the Logitech webstore and in my city. When I find an online source for one they're typically selling at about $40+ above regular price. That's got me looking at the Logitech Flight Yoke which includes the same throttle quadrant and is in stock at locals stores at decent prices.

I've read some mixed reviews about that particular yoke though and I have to admit I'm not thrilled that the quadrant is attached to the yoke via proprietary PS/2 connector. It's also not clear to me if that yoke has trim wheels or trim rockers on it? That's important, as I currently use the throttle slider on a joystick for elevator trim, which works well. I've also read it only has 90 deg turn, which IIRC is a good 30 deg less than the CH Products yoke I once owned.

Anyhow...if anyone who's using one of these yokes could give a few comments on it, I'd really appreciate it.

Don

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Impressions of the Logitech/Saitek Flight Yoke System?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 02:49:16 PM »
I have used the same Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and quadrant for years.  For the price, the yoke is great.  Yes on the 90 degrees turn max (never bothered me).  Yoke Center has a little bit bigger dead spot than one might like.  It uses simple spring tension when pushed forward or pulled back.  There is no trim wheel on it.  The buttons and switches are all programmable.  Yoke has three rocker switches (I use one for nose trim - down/up - but it is not a slider or a wheel...).  The yoke also has 1 hat (use for views and other things in other modes), a mic button on back left top of yoke, a red button (I use for auto pilot disconnect).  There is a mode selector on the back of the right top of yoke which allows for three different program sets for the all of the switches.   There is also small horizontal screen in center with three buttons below it.  The screen shows system time as well as can be used as stop watch via the buttons below it.

All of that said, I believe you can order a separate Quadrant (USB connector) with free shipping at Sporty's Pilot Shop.  It does show out of stock but projects shipping date of July 31 which is not too bad.  Sporty's is very well known for real life Pilot supplies but offer some flight sim products also.  You can call them to get more info on the ship date.  Here is link for the product at Sporty's:

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/additional-throttle-quadrant-for-flight-simulator.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&&mrkgcl=596&mrkgadid=3052702920&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Training&adpos=&creative=295428069997&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgtb337rc6gIVhMDACh0fEQIFEAYYASABEgLKpPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rod

kronovan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »
Many thanks for the info and suggestion Rod.

I probably should have mentioned I'm in Canada, so buying from US sources isn't ideal due to exchange rate and shipping costs. As an example; were I to purchase that throttle quadrant from Sporty's, the I-Parcel shipping rate is just $1 less that the item cost, bringing the total to $119 USD. Which after conversion amounts to roughly $160 CDN. Whereas for $40 CDN more, I can purchase the Logitech Flight Yoke System from a local retailer, which gives me both a quadrant and yoke and allows me to support a local biz.

I usually don't order items from the US via courier (I-Parcel is an exception) because I've had voodoo custom charges (often illegal) slapped on too many times. I've succeeded in some case having those dropped by filing a BBB report, but it's a long process and your package gathers dust in the courier's warehouse. If there's the option I prefer USPS even though it can't be insured and tracked, if only because it's low cost and the package eventually routes through Can Post which I've almost always found to be quick and reliable.

Needless to say online Canadian retailers are my preference, but I can't find a CDN supplier of this item. The Saitek quadrant did get listed for a few days on amazon.ca, but it was from a 3rd party and at an inflated price. When I checked, I came across a complaint about receiving a refurbished product instead of new one, which sent me running.   :o

Don

[Edit] Not to mention; due to the pandemic, who knows what the current status quo is for USA -to- Canada shipping?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:50:36 PM by kronovan »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
Perhaps check out Canada Computers Don.. or Best Buy.. or TigerDirect.
They all carry some flight gear.. but this stuff is imported, usually from the US, so us Canucks will pay a bit more for these types of things.. and whether in the east or west our buck is only worth .73 cents US or so these days.

Also might be able to find a set off eBay or marketplace.. if your lucky..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:39:33 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

kronovan

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions..
Check out Canada Computers Kronos.. or Best Buy.
Been there done that; the Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant is out of stock at both. BB has it available via online affiliated retailers, but it's listed for a whopping $167 CDN! My local Canada Computers is the store with the Logitech Flight Yoke System in stock. I've had decent service from them and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

The other option is the CH Products Throttle quadrant (6 levers for 2 engines), but I can only source it from Memory Express and it's listed as special order and staff can't give an accurate estimate for delivery. Considering the current circumstances, special order reads to me like; it'll come to you from CH Products via Memory Express, for however long it takes to transit. Yeah, sure - no thanks. The CH Prod throttle has some appeal though, as I have CH Product Pro Pedals and joystick, so with their custom software I could combine them into a single, unified device.

I'm admittedly more of a joystick flyer, as I fly a number of military flight sims and keeping with a stick for GA just seems more comfortable. Because of that, getting another separate throttle quadrant or replacing my current quadrant with a CH Products quadrant would be ideal. That said, I do fly some multi-engine WW II aircraft in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, so a yoke could give me a different experience.  For what the difference in costs are, getting the Logitech Flight yoke system and moving the yoke off the desktop when I want to just fly stick, seems like the better choice. I just wasn't sure about the quality, but it sounds better than my earlier impressions.

Don
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:02:38 PM by kronovan »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
Hi Don,
     I've also used the same Saitek ProFlight Yoke & Rudder Pedals System and Throttle Quadrant as Rod for years now.  The yoke's short rotation has never been an issue for me.  Turning should be a gentle operation with small movements, right?
     I did add a Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel to my setup, and I can't/won't fly without it.  It is so nice to roll the wheel in your fingers and balance the trim as the plane levels off and the speed stabilizes.  The quadrant is the same size/shape as the throttle quadrant, which it is mounted next to. 
     For additional buttons, I mounted my XBox360 Controller to it via velcro strips atop the center of my flight yoke.  It sits comfortably above the clock display Rod described, which I use all day, every day (. . . not just while flying, of course.) 
     The only wear issue I have is the rudder pedal slider track has broken in the center.  I can still use it fine, but it has a sticky spot where the break is.  I put slats of wood under the sides for support, and that helps a lot.
     I use a "Wheel Stand Pro" frame to mount my yoke and pedals.  I also have a second one which supports my G27 steering wheel setup.  I highly recommend those frames over flying your desk.  I got rid of my desk, because I never used it, except to set things on and drawers for storage of forgotten items.  Too much clutter for no reason. 
     Good luck in your search, Sir. 
   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

kronovan

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »
.. or TigerDirect...

Somehow I missed your recommendation for TigerDirect earlier. I'm a fan of their's - did a week-long consulting gig there years ago and it was a good experience. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they've mostly moved away from retailing PC peripherals like flight sim devices? At least I don't find anything Saitek or Logitech that's flight gear related when I do a search.

Or is there possibly another TD online retail site, that does stock such items?

kronovan

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 05:42:39 PM »
I did add a Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel to my setup, and I can't/won't fly without it.
I came across that peripheral for the 1st time today and I know I want one. I think I'm going to wait bit for the supply chain and air shipping to stabilize and resume before I jump, as I can't find a CDN retailer. I did see one USA retailer that claimed free shipping internationally for that device, but I'm guessing that might not be holding up for these pandemic times.
For additional buttons, I mounted my XBox360 Controller to it via velcro strips atop the center of my flight yoke.  It sits comfortably above the clock display Rod described, which I use all day, every day (. . . not just while flying, of course.)
Wow...I'd never would've though of doing that and I can imagine the thumb sticks being well suited as trimming devices. With 3, X360 controllers sitting in storage and having an Xbox gaming receiver, there's no reason I couldn't do the same. I just need to remind myself not to use my daughter's pink controller, which she's still quite fond of.  ;D
The only wear issue I have is the rudder pedal slider track has broken in the center.  I can still use it fine, but it has a sticky spot where the break is.  I put slats of wood under the sides for support, and that helps a lot.
I have a pair of CH Pro Pedals, which despite being 10 years old are holding up well. They even get used as brake and accelerator for Euro Trucker 2, which controls surprising well with a joystick I might add.   :P