Author Topic: MSFS2020 release date is August 18  (Read 5942 times)

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
Re: MSFS2020 release date is August 18
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 05:22:30 AM »
Rod, with your knowledge and keen but humble insight concerning these subjects with FS you have a VERY good point.

In all the promotional videos from “ FSXX” ( thank you Dex )  from what I’ve notice are from the enhanced area’s mostly but, for a ever so short moment I have seen what I think are not enhanced because of not so robust coloring on airport objects.  Maybe just MAYBE the default airports ( non enhanced ) are 3D objects anyway... we will know soon enough.

After reading through many threads on the net about the release and 3rd party developers and the shear thought business wise ( money )  the flow of content to FSXX will be great. As with the different platforms of FS now... some good,some not so good and some bad.
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
I am pretty sure there is a very good reason why there are no floats or helos available at this time.  I don't think it is because there was no one to offer models or physics.  One thing those aircraft have in common is ground/water operations away from airports.  These types of operations will allow an aircraft to get up close and personal with an "object" that might be stationary and only 6 feet away but not at an airport. Now what happens when that object is just a 3-D image without hard vertices.  Maybe the result is not so pretty.

Rod

The IConA5 Does land on water and that gives me hope that if our float models were made compatible, we could salvage our AI and marine traffic.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:44:37 AM by dexthom »

robw

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 07:41:23 AM »
An interesting observation from Rod which I think is right on target. I've been watching a number of the more detailed videos released recently and have seen a number of small things that have always been irritations going way back. Chief among these for me as I fly in a lot of mountainous regions are texture stretching which can be particularly noticeable with photo-scenery. Take a look at a recent video on FS Elite which shows Sedona in Arizona (one of the included Orbx airports I think), lots of stretched textures on the cliffs in the locality. Of course this is inevitable unless scenery is coded as full 3D objects (I'm thinking of the alpine scenery by Frank Dainese). I think this was actually addressed by MS Flight with special textures for steep terrain but that sim used landclass based scenery.

Regarding bandwidth for scenery downloads, the same video mentioned a total of around 8GB in 10 hours flying in varied terrain at quite high detail settings. This isn't bad at all and is something I imagine many can achieve these days even without fast broadband.

The one thing with FS2020 that really tempts me is the lighting and clouds, which finally appear truly realistic. The closest I've experienced to date is in X-Plane using a weather and environment plug-in called xEnviro which is unfortunately flawed in performance and can look brilliant at some times but not very good at all at others.

I'm still using Win 7 and haven't got time or energy to move over to Win 10 at the moment so FS2020 isn't immediately available to me. I'm also an avid collector of scenery and still have places to visit that I've paid for but haven't yet used so maybe this is a good excuse to get my money's worth!

My tentative plan is to wait until next year and then build a whole new PC based around a 3080Ti which should be able to cope fully with the new sim. My current 4790K and 1080Ti have served me very well but then I always spend as much as I can afford at the outset to avoid the need for costly early upgrades and I think 6-7 years is a pretty good return on investment  :).

By early-mid 2021 I imagine FS2020 will have been upgraded somewhat (it's in their stated plans) and it will be clear if any current 3rd party scenery (like RTMM) can be ported or not. I suspect I may still be using the older sims for some things for a while to come.

Rob W
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:51:50 AM by robw »