Author Topic: Which Files are Required for Highest Quality Waterfalls?  (Read 4403 times)

kronovan

Which Files are Required for Highest Quality Waterfalls?
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
i recently installed all of the core RTMM objects & secenery libraries and purchased and installed Tongass X and ORBX PNW, PFJ & SAK. My config has allowed me to have some amazing scenic flights and I"m able to pass  the object test with flying (pun fully intended) colors. While everything has worked well and looked impressive (kudos to the scenery-making gurus here), it's become apparent after taking off from Waterfall that I somehow are missing the files for the animation of high quaity waterfalls.

I did a low fly over of the waterfall at Waterfall a few times, but really couldn't discern there being one at all - certainly nothing like the water misted air I've seen screen shots. It was probably at the end of the the RTMM install, but I suspect I passed on some effect file(s) due to not being sure if I should replace an existing file. I also don't recall any BGL file in the library sections for waterfalls - admittedly my knowledge of FSX scenery is limted and I'm not even sure if a BGL would be required.

If anyone who knows the core RTMM files well could point me to where I'll find the waterfall effect file(s), or a downloadable  scenery or enhancement for them,  I'd very much appreciate it.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Which Files are Required for Highest Quality Waterfalls?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
Make sure you have your special effects turned on ... (which version of sim?)

Doug

kronovan

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply Doug. I'm running FSX:SE and my Special effects detail slider is set to High; so maxed. Now that you mentioned settings thoiugh, my Water Effects slider is set to "Med 2x". I only recently moved it to that from Low 2x, because Sterve's DX10 fixer v5.2 required at least that for the cloud shadows addon to work

I really do believe this is happening because I failed to overwrite a file. I distincly remember making that conscious decision at one  point, but  can't now remember which file(s) and in which RTMM ZIP it was located..Or whether it was an additional scenery download?

kronovan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 05:53:00 PM »
OK, I did some more checking and determined I have the fx_Waterfall.fx file from the "New Waterfall Effect - Optional" folder found in the "RTMM Required FSXP3D libraries Part IV 4.15.2019" archive. It has a date of Nov 24 2017 and is supposed to animate less mist than the other optional fx_Waterfall.fx that's in the "RTMM Required Object LibrariesFSXP3D Part II_02.25.2017" archive - creation date of Mar 6 2014.

I'm going to rename the 2017 effects file and then extract the 2014 one to my FSX\Effects folder. Hopefully that will give me more misty waterfalls.  ;)

kronovan

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:57:14 PM »
I think a big problem with this is that there actually isn't much of a waterfall at Waterfall. lol ;D  I somehow got the impression from screen shots that there was, but once I water taxied up to the actual fall in my Piper J3 (way up to where the deer are grazing), there wasn't much that'd produce mist. I even tried changing the season to Spring with the idea that might swell the stream (have no idea if that's even modeled in FSX-Tongass X), but it didn't.

So next I set the map to the Big Fall hydro project scenery, where I know for sure there's some waterfall action. And indeed I saw some nice mists coming off of the cataracts there. I do believe it was more misty than the last time I visited there, so perhaps that 2014 waterfall effects file has helped.