Author Topic: P3D V5 - Layering Problem  (Read 4592 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: P3D V5 - Layering Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »
Yes, its a shame.  Here's the map of what we have "lost" in BWEP with V5. Only that smaller lower portion works. Klutina Outfitters is still OK and so is PAGK Gulkana ... but just above that (Lake Louise) is all "breaks" in V5.

I'll post a warning on the BWEP page with this map. Such a shame, hours and hours and some REALLY beautiful places and airports, plus all the DAYS and DAYS Brad spent laying the pipeline. So we can (1) go back to 4.5, Stay with V5 and ditch BWEP or Ditch P3D and wait for FS2020. 

HOWEVER!!! Everything within the ORBX areas for RTMM is working PERFECTLY. I have checked all of the sites by going to each one (while doing the waypoints) and ALL are ok. Only BWEP was affected by this problem. 

I'm now going to check each location in BWEP and see if anything is salvageable.  I will also look at the airports without our additions and see what is working.

Doug

UPDATE for BWEP Locations:

These airports and scenery locations cannot be used with P3D V5+
   Delta Junction
   Healy River
   Scotts
   Black Rapids Airport
   Livingood Camp
   Gailbraith Lake
   Sagwon
   Lake Louise Lodge

These airports have slight damage, but are usable:
   Arctic Angel
   Cursed Hills
   Flying Beaver Lodge
   Paxson Airport
   Prospect Creek
   Prudhoe Bay
   Wandering Lakes (Airport), Lodge OK

On the RTMM Location Information Table, those not usable have an "X" and those that are usable but have a little damage "#" in the Trip Ticket column.

We are actually VERY lucky most of the locations came through ok or only slightly damaged. The pipeline is there, and from 2000 feet altitude, looks ok. If you fly low over it, it is disjointed in many, many places. When the terrain is flat (tundra north), the pipeline is mostly ok.

Next: I cannot fix the damaged ones. (I only have Instant Scenery 3 and P3D 3.5 for this ... and the problems do not show in 3.5). So what I will do is make a special download for people with V5 for the airports, this file will leave out the airports too damaged to use. Whatever runways, etc that V5 will be there (or missing).  I should have that finished for you tomorrow.  Also, I'll update the WayPoints downloads. (Prudhoe Bay was missing and is now added).

Doug
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:42:12 PM by Doug »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
 :-[
 Well, that's unfortunate. Users of P3d V.5 can't use the Pipeline north of the SAK boundary near Glenallen it seems. I'm done with buying a new version of P3D every year or so just to find out that it breaks or changes something that used to work just fine. I know progress and new coding, etc. makes things like this inevitable but I've invested a lot of money and time in the current version 4.5 that I'm using and the sim world I like to fly in works and looks just fine for now.

I know that most enthusiasts who have the $$ and hardware to use FS2020 will most likely move on. I mean, how can you not be impressed with the simulations future from what we've seen so far from that new platform. I'd be inclined to do it myself if I was still employed, but the pandemic has hit the entertainment and trade show industry very hard and it will be some time before that market is opened back up. So I don't have the ability to move into any new simulations for some time.

My main concern now is to find new employment that can keep me afloat. Try to keep myself, wife and family safe and healthy and avoid the politics and negative news from the world each day. I'll hopefully be able to survive this and spend more time here with you all enjoying the future of the simulation world together at Misty's Place.

We've been going strong at RTMM for almost 10 years now and I value my friendships with each one of the team here. I'm proud of what we've been able to accomplish together in our spare time for the hobby and I hope we can continue on in the future for some time.

Please know that I hope each of you are safe, healthy and managing as well as you can during this time of uncertainty. It's been an honor to be part of the team at Misty's Place and I hope we can all be spared any harm from this pandemic. God willing, we will be.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:35:21 PM by Bradallen43 »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
     I wonder how many people are "actually" upgrading every time a new one comes out?  I am using 4.3 right now, but even doing that broke my IS3 usage.  So I should've stayed at v3 for that.  The cutting edge is not all that after all.  There are changes and restrictions etc to deal with.  I am also unemployed since March, and sitting at home.  A great many of us are. 

I'd like to hear from the community (a survey) of what sim they are using.  Also if they plan to upgrade? ???
(in a thread of its own, of course) ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 05:09:09 PM »
OK ... the new BWEP Airport Packages are "up" on the RTMM BWEP page. There are now 4 packages.

1. Payware PAVD and NO P3D V5
2. Payware PAVD and using P3D V5
3. Default PAVD and NO P3D V5
4. Default PAVD and using P3D V5

The ones using V5, have the "destroyed" airports deleted.  The slightly damaged ones are still there. The people with less than V5 will have all the airports.  I still have to figure out what to do with Healy River, it is part of Magic Bus which is ok. Tomorrow I may split it out and put it into the non V5 packages, then take it out of Magic Bus. (What a day!)

Here is what 5BK (Black Rapids) looks like in Default V5. Notice the pipeline misalignment that cannot be repaired.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:16:47 PM by Doug »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 06:23:12 PM »
Wow, that was quick work, Doug!  Good job!   Jeff, Brad, sorry to hear that you guys have been "pandemically" put out of a job.  I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way. 

I think we are lucky that almost all of our RTMM work is inside Tongass or RTMM regions.  RTMM lives on!!!

I personally was stunned that Lockheed spent so much time updating the terrain, landclass and airport data.  I did not see that coming.  Guess I forgot that Lockheed's target P3D user base is commercial.  I imagine the commercial accounts use P3D as is and were probably asking for the kind of update P3Dv5 represents.

I have used P3D's SimDirector to place some objects and it is doable but a steep learning curve.  Whisplacer (old tech) for object placement also still works in P3Dv5 but it is another significant learning curve.  Just wanted to mention that there are at least two methods to access P3Dv5 object placement but neither one is terribly enticing at this point.

Rod

Doug

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
Rod, look at how YOUR input made this project successful. Starting at the beginning of the thread, I thought it was a layering problem in the scenery library. Then you started giving me info I didn't know about and it moved on with a little direction from you here and there. Once we understand the problem, the solution is just a simple puzzle to figure out and fix. I regret what has happened to BWEP as we move forward, but it is the best recovery we could have asked for.

As long as we stay inside ORBX territories, we'll be fine. When we strayed outside, we were asking for trouble (and we all kind of knew it). But IS3 is still working fine for me for object placement and maintenance. I have P3D 3.5 and just keep it basically for scenery maintenance.

I was having a very rough time with IS3, it would have to restart about 2 or 3 times before it would work on a location. I consolidated my scenery to a SINGLE Misty Morings scenery folder (keeping them separate inside) and that solved the problem. When I would come from V4.5 back to V3, I think there was some caching going on and it would wreck IS3.  Now that they are BOTH drawing from the SAME library, that problem is gone and it (knock on wood) is running very smoothly. The single scenery folder was the key.

Anyway, we've done what we can on this one. But it is fun to read the thread and see the focus changing from what was expected to something unexpected.  Thank heavens we were able to save so many of the locations up there. The pipeline, although slightly disjointed, still looks great from the air.

Doug

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »
Project completed!!!

Thanks to a huge effort and input from Thomas Menzel, we now have the damaged airports not only restored but UPDATED for V5. The new BWEP Airport Packages are "up" on the BWEP page. Many changes, but the airports are all working. The pipeline is still  "disjointed" along its route, you will not notice this about 1200 feet. We have no way to restore the pipeline in V5.

Done!

kaha

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 05:32:29 PM »
Thank you very much, Doug and Thomas!

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »
Lots of work for sure.  Thanks so much for all the time spent and all your efforts.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^