Author Topic: Tongass X - Does it Always have to be in the Scenery Library?  (Read 3112 times)

kronovan

Hello everyone, 1st time posting here.

I'm wondering if Tongass_fjords_High_Priority and Tongass_fjords_Low_Priority need to be present in the FSX Scenery library even when you are not flying in that region? I ask, because I use a tool called Scenery Profiler to manage my Scenery Library and only load what I need for the specific region I'm flying in; even goes as far as only loading the necessary 0000 Base - 1107 Base libraries. I just purchased Tongrass X and just aren't sure about it as a scenery, as it seems to do much more than just add scenery for a region. My concern is that those libraries might provides some function(s) outside of there area of coverage.

Hence my asking the question. If anyone who's more familiar with the details and inner working of Tongass X could provide some feedback and info, it'd be much appreciated.

[Edit] Probably should have mentioned that I did download and install of the prerequisite RTMM object and library sceneries. I've since created a profile that loads those libraries above Tongass_fjords_High_Priority and the Tongass_fjords_Low_Priority libraries. Whenever I plan on flying in the Tongass region -or any regions that requires the RTMM files- I'll apply that profile.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:52:02 PM by kronovan »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Tongass X - Does it Always have to be in the Scenery Library?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:14:44 PM »
Tongass needs to be active whenever you are flying in areas that have RTMM Scenery.  RTMM sceneries use the Tongass Fjord X (TFX) object libraries in our sceneries with permission.

Rod

kronovan

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 12:48:00 AM »
Tongass needs to be active whenever you are flying in areas that have RTMM Scenery.  RTMM sceneries use the Tongass Fjord X (TFX) object libraries in our sceneries with permission.

Rod

Many thanks for the reply Rod. I think I'm covered then. When I fly in any area that has RTMM scenery, my plan is to apply a scenery profile that includes Tongass fjords low priority, Tongass fjords high prority will all of the required RTMM object and scenery libraries loaded above them.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »
Kronovan: Scenery order is very important.

RTMM stuff has to be positioned on top of the library while Tongass X (Higher over lower) has to be positioned in the gut of the order - right between ORBX Regions & airports and any Orbx OpenLC.

First establish your Orbx scenery blocks by using the Orbx Central insertion points.

TOP Insertion Point :  Orbx Regions and Airports - placed below  >> RTMM Libs.. (Which means all Orbx Regions and airport will stay in their block- right below the RTMM stuff. (And all RTMM stuff and any other 3rd party scenery will stay on top of the Orbx Regions and Airports Block.

The BOTTOM Insertion Point :  Orbx OpenLC - placed below  >> Tongass Lower.. (Which means all Orbx OpenLC entries will stay in their LC block- and positioned right below Tongass Lower and Tongass higher sits right above the Tongass Lower entry. 

So your blocks top down looks like:

RTMM (and any other 3rd party scenery) at the top
ORBX Regions and Airports
Tongass Higher
Tongass Lower
Open LC Entries
Default Named Continents & cities
Any Mesh
Vector Block (If you have vector)
Default Bases
Default scenery/terrain

All to say if you are flying in RTMM areas, your sim starter profile should have RTMM, Tongass, the respective Orbx Regions (and any Orbx airports if you have any for this area) should also be "on".

ORBX Regions:

Ketchikan Area - "Pacific Fjords" (PFJ)
    Juneau to Anchorage Area - "Southern Alaska"(SAK)
    Vancouver and BC Area -"Pacific Northwest (PNW)

Tongass Fjords - is in between "Pacific Fjords" (PFJ) and  "Southern Alaska"(SAK) 

Map Link: https://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/images/RTMM_ORBX-AreasMap.jpg

But in your profiles just make sure you maintain the scenery block order for correct layering so that your scenery will correctly display.

Norm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:44:41 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

kronovan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
Wow Norm, you just answered all my follow on questions - appreciate your reply! A timely reply too, as I'm planning on purchasing Orbx PFJ and SAK today. I was wondering about where they'd need to be placed in the FSX Scenery-layer-cake. I have FS Global 2010, so based on your layering model I'm going to locate that in your "any mesh" layer. My question remaining would be about my Ultimate Terrain X v2 Canada & USA? I use it for southern BC and Washington state and like it enough that I wasn't planning on purchasing Orbx PNW - also have a fair amount of southern BC floatplane-aerodrome scenery that's dependent upon UTX Can.

From my understanding, UTX is landclass, autogen and vector scenery, so should those be installed in what you list as the "vector" layer?  Another idea was for me to have a Northern BC & Alaska profile, which wouldn't requireUTX USA to be loaded as it doesn't contain any coverage of Alaska.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 08:47:08 PM »
Maybe te attached might help since a picture is worth a thousand words??

So these are the blocks.. now not sure if utx would conflict with orbx (if it covers the same area but if it is landclass then it would go in the openlc block or section.

That landclass (openlc) block goes right below tongass. (And tongass lower is set as the lower or bottom insertion point in orbx Central). Hope this makes sense.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

kronovan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 12:42:01 AM »
Many thanks for the illustration Norm, that does indeed help. I also noticed this text in my ORBX SAK & PJF manuals:

"The only step required to achieve full compatibility is to ensure that the two Tongass Fjords entries are below the block of ORBX entries in the FSX scenery library menu, meaning at lower display priority."

So on that note, I think the only remaining question I have is whether the FTX_NA_SAK07_MESH, FTX_NA_PFJ07_MESH, FTX_NA_SAK06_CVX and FTX_NA_PFJ06_CVX sceneries are supposed to be incluged in the "block of ORBX entries"? Or should they be located in the MESH block and FTX Global Vector Entries block in your illustration?

The manual explains that the UTX terrain is handled by an FTX exclude to allow for clean transition. The UTX autogen lighting isn't though, which is a bit of problem because that scenery is global for all UTX scenery packages. Because my scenery profile is for northwest BC and Southern Alaska where I'll likely always be flying in areas with Tongass X, PFJ and SAK coverage, I just disabled that FTX feature for the profile.

Otherwise, my first test flights all the scenery has looked terrific with the exception of some suspect trees near the Juneau airport. I'm also having an issue at Misty's Place where I get an aircraft crash whenever I attempt to taxi to the hangar or onto the amphibian ramp to get to the water. It's worse in my Cessna Stationair when it's equipped as an amphibian. If I have the same aircraft config's for wheels, the crash only occurs right at the edge of hangar's paved floor. I suspect this might be caused by my FS Global 2010 mesh, as it uses a 9 meter grid while ORBX is 20m. But I'm far from sure about that being the cause.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:49:02 AM by kronovan »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 01:13:03 AM »
You should disable crash detection in your sim while flying, er "taxiing" around the Misty scenery.  Mesh setting should be set at 5 m.   :)   Could you post a pic of the trees near Juneau.  Would be worth a thousand words.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 01:16:51 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

kronovan

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 01:31:44 AM »
Thanks for the tips Jeff. I did have my mesh rez set at 5m - an adjustment I need to get used to, as FS Global wants a mesh rez of 10m. I didn't think to turn crash detection off while taxing on these smaller dirt strips, but that makes perfect sense. I'll grab you a screenshot the next time I'm flying near Juneau.

BTW all, these misty mooring sceneries are very impressive. A notch well above what I'm used to and I'm lovin that I'm getting to take all my amphibs and floats out for a spin. Although I've been neglecting my Mallard.   ;)