Author Topic: RTMM WayPoints Project  (Read 11825 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: RTMM WayPoints Project
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »
Still a great deal of work to do on the waypoints.  I'm coming down through the list alphabetically now (have finished "C"). Notice there is a new little green checkmark showing up beside the "R" waypoint number. That means it is "verified".  I wish I would have started this earlier, I've checked a couple of hundred.  I'm finding most of the waypoints are fine, but now and then I find one in error.

For anyone "playing" with this project, let me know if you fly a waypoint successfully and can verify that it is OK. I'll use your information to add the green checkmark.

I've now got a "pure" database for Little NavMap that has ONLY the locations on the location table (and I'm adding to them as I come down the list).

Let me know if you verify a waypoint.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »
UPDATE: RTMM WayPoint project ...

There are now 631 waypoints and more will come. We had left out The Western Chugach locations, Vancouver Island Project, and several other locations. They are now included. Each of the Starting Points on the Location Information Table (when verified), will put you EXACTLY where you should position your aircraft for a location. There is a pdf for the whole table (so far) that you can download. I do not recommend printing it right now. It is 26 pages long.  You might want to make a desktop shortcut to the RTMM Location Information Table. You can use this url:

https://return.mistymoorings.com/here_to_there/#info

For Windows, use CTRL F then type what you are looking for. I'm sure this will be the preferred method of using this information.

We will be using Little NavMap as the database tool for this project. Each RTMM location will have a user point in Little NavMap. Each user point will have a unique WayPoint "R" Number. The location name and the "R" number show up on the Little NavMap map. Putting the "R" number into your GPS will direct you to the location from anywhere. When finished, I'll be posting a Little NavMap userpoints CSV file for all of RTMM. You can add this ONE cvs file to Little NavMap and you will have all RTMM locations.

I am checking EACH entry to make sure the GPS waypoint is correct. This, of course, takes a lot of time. I am presently finished with A through C.  When a waypoint is "verified", you will see a green check to the right of the "R" number.

If you are interested in this project, you can download the "RTMM WayPoints.zip from the RTMM Scenery Page. Put it in like you add any scenery and you will have access to all 630+ GPS locations for RTMM. Also, if you are flying these and you can "verify" a particular waypoint, let me know so I can add a checkmark for it. Keep in mind, some of them could be incorrect.  I am checking these by putting in the start coordinates for a location, then once "there", I put the "R" number into the GPS, if there is no line leading away from the location, then the waypoint is good. If there is a GPS path leading away from the location, then there is an error.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »
RTMM WayPoint Project Completed!

You can see the completed LOCATION TABLE here.

The RTMM WayPoint Project is now complete. All RTMM Locations and USFS cabins are now in the database.

We are using Little NavMap and there is a downloadable CSV file at the Scenery Page location. All WayPoints are now added to the Little NavMap CSV file showing all RTMM locations with little "cabin" icons. There were 630 icons added and positioned correctly.

Over 40 new maps were created so if you click on a location name, you will get a map showing you where the location is situated in our RTMM area.

Over 40 locations were added, these were some that we had missing over the years. They are all there now.

630 RTMM WayPoints were individually created with xml and put into the "RTMM WayPoints.zip" file that is available on the Scenery Page.

All 630 RTMM WayPoints were VERIFIED. (I had to "position" myself at EACH location making sure the "R" number was correct. Also many ramp locations were adjusted so all of the starting points put you exactly where you need to be to start.

The RTMM WayPoints pdf is available for download. It may be handy to have, but it is 26 pages long, so not really the best use of paper!  It is better to use the "url shortcut" you'll find at the top of the Location Table (here to there page) and use (for Windows) CTRL-F to find the information you want.

The ReadMe has been updated to include Little NavMap information. including a link to the free program that has THE BEST documentation on how to use Little NavMap.

By having to go to EACH location to verify the R number and the starting point, I found several things that need to be fixed (those are in GREEN on the maintenance page) at some RTMM locations. These include Smoke Adjustments and a few Season Switcher files that should be updated. As I fix those things, you will see them eliminated as "fixed) on the Maintenance page.

This program will blend nicely with the (almost ready) RTMM Installation package that installs all RTMM locations very quickly. Stay tuned!

Doug
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:52:19 AM by Doug »

kaha

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2020, 03:35:34 PM »
Very nice Doug! Thank you, I will take a look asap.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 04:27:31 PM »
Wow! Doug, this is so amazing!!

630 locations!! Thank you so much......workin with littlenavmap is beautiful. This allows me to export the locations as user waypoints into my rxp GTN‘s...very cool.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »
If you turn "on" Obstacles, Mountains, Helipads, Lighthouses and Cabins, you should have everything you need. If something is missing, let me know. I think I got them all, this took 2 weeks work dawn to dusk, but I think it is overdue. Now we have it all in one place.  If you look at the map any FedEx terminal (all the same) you will see how I asked Little NavMap to select FedEx and it highlighted them by circling them. You can select waypoints you want in the "search" feature, then "show on map" and those waypoints will have circles around them. Nice for planning a little trip.

I look at the Little NavMap map, select an "area" I want to fly, then the nearest airport, and start selecting GPS locations from there, one to the other. I'm getting a lot more STICK time and much less AUTOPILOT time this way, you have to figure out the best way through the maze of mountains.

kaha

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 05:11:45 AM »
Doug, I tried to import the .csv file into Littlenavmap. The .csv file seems to be empty.

Karl

Edit: Actually, there is one user point in it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:13:39 AM by kaha »

Vincederio

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 05:32:52 AM »
Good morning all
Well, I just did the same thing as Karl and I realized the same problem.
In any case, it is a phenomenal job accomplished.
See you
un bel avion est un avion qui vole bien. M.D.

Doug

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 08:34:52 AM »
Really Helpful!!! Thank you. When you are exporting the csv data, there is a radio button that "if on" only exports the SELECTED files. I didn't see that, it is naturally "on" I guess. I turned it off and now all of the data points went out to the csv.   Actually, that's pretty cool. I can put other "items" into my own personal database here, then "select" for the RTMM data and only export that.  The little cabin would be the tag to search on ... and it works.

So let me know if this works for you. I also renamed the csv and zip to RTMM WayPoints CSV ... so we don't get it mixed up with RTMM Way Points.zip for the scenery library.

It is working perfectly here (of course), now I just have to get it working perfectly for you folks! :-) For me, it is a whole different way of flying. I'm used to the autoroutes and autopilot ... actually "flying" and figuring out how to get there is a LOT of fun and probably a far more realistic bush adventure.

Keep ideas/comments coming. This was a LOT of work and I really want it to be correct.

Doug

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
Autopilot up here in rugged bush country? Just can't do it.. no way!! Can't or realy should say don't want to use AP in these parts if you're actually flying and navigating the terrain!! AP might be fine if you're sleeping in a tube at FL360!!
Glad to see you have gotten some real stick time!! - is there any other way if you're flying low n slow bush?

There is also the csv spreadsheet files Dieter created and assembled for import right into Plan G (Dieter's Corner) mark most of the locations and poi for plan G.(Done a few years ago so a tad older and might be missing a few updated scenery locations but they work fine to show the locations).
Link: Dieter's Corner - https://return.mistymoorings.com/mistys/#dieter

Tim Arnott at Plan G still has to update the program to be able to be able to load all the nav data for the P3Dv5 database but if Dieter's csv files are imported in Plan G, the RTMM points (and many POI for various areas around the world) are reflected.

Hopefully your RTMM waypoints piece(s) will mark the RTMM POI in Little NAV map which has already been updated for compatibility with P3Dv5x.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:39:15 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Vincederio

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
Hello Doug
Action reaction  ;)
The file works PERFECTLY. Cabin points appear if I click on the "search" button and on the "User Point" tab.
It does not work on the PLAN G program, but the points appeared when I updated my database for FSX. If you check the ISEC box in the "map" tab, they are all there and you can do a search (in the "Home" tab) and select "intersection". BRAVO Doug and thank you for everything.

Doug

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 09:43:08 AM »
Thanks Vince, glad it is working for you!

I"m more of a scenery buff than a flying buff I guess, I like to let the plane do its thing and sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I'm a better passenger than a pilot at heart. So the new "stick time" is good for me and a nice change.

Dieter's waypoints work fine and the KMZ files we have are also excellent.

What I was trying to do with the RTMM WayPoints is to have EVERY location we use fully documented and identified. (Many were not). Not all locations had corresponding maps with them. All now do. Each of those lat/long entries for each location is PERFECT for a startup position. I've used the 4 digits (after the decimal point) to exactly place the sim's aircraft exactly where it should be, in many cases, it is right beside and lined up with the dock.  Then these very precise coordinates are what I am using for the RTMM WayPoints.  If you want to start at a cabin to fly to another cabin, using the lat/long for the starting cabin will put you exactly into the correct start position there. Then set the GPS on the next cabin and go find it. You don't have to leave or arrive at an airport with this system.

What is amazing about simming is that each person has his/her own niche way of using the sim. I was tired of flying MY SAME routes from Misty's Place out to some cabins. Many of the routes are nearly the same, going over the same water bodies. So it didn't take much "flying" effort. And if you are going to the Misty Fjords Monument area (Near New Eddystone Rock), you'll fly 90% the same route from Misty's to get to each of those several cabins in that area. Then you start over and fly it again to get to another cabin.  With the "R" Numbers, you can use the RTMM/MFC route to "get there", then you can buzz around the area with the "R" Numbers.

I always wanted us to have a "bible" for the locations. I've attempted it several times, but another big scenery addition would come along and we'd get sidetracked. But at last, it is all in one place.

I've got some "clean up" work to do next. When visiting each location, I'd always check around to make sure it was ok. In some cases, I found some things that need updating... I still found some misaligned smoke objects, etc. So I'll go after those and get them updated. (All this shows on the maintenance page)

Glad to hear this is working for people other than ME! :-)

Vincederio

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
You are a rare and precious pearl for users like us. your way of "flying" is the same for me. And I am happy to learn that I am not the only one who wants to enjoy the beautiful landscapes of our dear "toy". My French and Belgian friends from our VA "PRAETORIANS FS" Patrick, Jean Michel and Michel and a few others who also use RTMM, greatly appreciate your work and that of the RTMM team.
There is so much to do and visit that we do not have enough of a life to discover everything and when we take the time to read the explanations, it is a real pleasure.
I know some of my friends who "take off" in the morning from Paris or even Anchorage, set off "Georges" and come back in the evening after their work to "land" either in LA or Beijing ...... Those people don't understand not the RTMM philosophy. But I don't blame them, like those who put an AP in a J3 ..... don't laugh, I did it ...... As you say, we are all different in our same passion.
Long live RTMM and thank you again
See you soon and take good care of yourself

kaha

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »

Doug

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »
I'll post it Karl.  Just think,  I had to go to each one if those sites and make the data point on the map. Then make a little xml file for each one with correct lat/long and R number,  then check them all to make sure the R number was correct. That was a much bigger job than I envisioned when I had this hair-brained idea.  But it is so nice to finally have it completed abd checked.  Going back for the corrections today, I quickly got to the problems rather than getting close and wandering around a little to find them.  I think the best way to avoid such a task in the future is to cut back in hair-brained ideas! :-)

Thank you for the pic.
Doug